Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

If I ever have the surgery (doubtful as cataract age is not too far off), I would probably still wear hard contacts to get tack sharp vision.

Sounds crazy, but sometimes I like the blurry vision of taking my contacts out. It's not like being drunk but it is a semi-weird escape from reality.

About 17 years ago a fellow in our office got Lasik.   Instead of 20/20 vision he was unable to read a page.  For three weeks he worried about losing his job do to this self-inflicted disability. 

Fortunately his vision did return but it never got back to the level it was with glasses or contacts. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have 100/200 vision.  I have worn soft contact since ~1975.  I have spent a career in healthcare. I have friends in all the medical professions and solicited their advice.

I have research all the different methods for correction.  Some are better than others. 

Go to the most best/expensive eye surgeon possible for the evaluation.  Actually go to a couple.  The discount places are like puppy mills; sell the product.

Your Cornea thickness is very very important.  Read up on it.

Each decade of my life since 1975 I re-assess the pros/cons.  I still have NOT had it done.

I know from personal experience of friends their challenges.  Most have had corrections-some up to 8 corrections. They all still wear glasses.  Also as your eyes age, there are other issues Presbyopia etc.

Be aware of the downside risk.

I wore soft contacts from 6th grade until age 32 then switched to hard contacts. Been wearing hard contacts now for 14 years. Best decision ever. They take about 2 weeks to get used to and require 2-3 fittings as your eye reshapes, but way worth it. Zero eye dryness and they are sharper than soft contacts or glasses since they are hard plastic. 

• 1 month later...

Had lasik done in 2010 at age 41. It’s awesome - no regrets and no negatives. 

Id give the same advise that Larry gave about right/left eyes for distance and near -I can’t see the front sight on a pistol any more.  Right after lasik it wasn’t an issue but in the last 2 years I’ve noticed the aging eyes have a hard time seeing close objects. My left eye can focus perfectly on the front sight but I’m right eye dominant. 

Since having it done I’ve learned about other options that may have been better.  Also in my research at the time I learned the machine the doctor uses is a critical factor in good results.  You have to be sure they dr is using the latest tech to avoid many of the issues discussed in this thread. 

I had RK done on both eyes and AK done on my left eye in 1994.  These procedures were done with a

Scalpel.  My vision has been great.  Its still 20/30 in both eyes and was 20/20 for about 15 plus years.

I need reading glasses, but did so when I had the surgery.   Don't know much about Lasik, but have

been told its better than RK/AK.  Best advise would be to do research and talk to your Surgeon before

having the surgery.