Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Right hand safety won't go in

Crazy Scientist

So I tried to get a tac sport safety on my shadow 2.  Turns out the tac sport safety was too wide be about 5 thousanths and my best efforts to sand had  no effect.

ANyway putting the S2 back together and for the life of me I cannot get the right hand safety in without disloding the right safety detent.  And then of course, the sear cage won;t go in.

To top it all off the sear cage spring broke and no longer long enough to hold the safety in place. (Just sigh--even though the safety stays put)

I went over Prof Atlas pics, and for the life on me cannot figure out how to get the right hand safety+detent together correctly.  

I have the detent in like this picture: but no matter how I shimmy in the safety either the front or the back of the detent is forced out of flush with the slot it sits in...

I finally gave up and just assembled the stupid thing so my right safety is out 2mm

Very Frustrated that once again my attempts to do basic gunsmith end in epic failure.

kziVHbP.jpg

yup.  It looks like enough is left for the gun to function, but it does need to be replaced.

Moron question--i can just slide the sear pin out part way to replace the sear spring--no need for total disassembly (sorry the other spring looks like a PITA to get in and given my track records...)

$2.00 is a small learning experience.

And I hate that sear spring...

OP, FYI if the TS safety was from CZC, the engagement area has to be filed to fit even when installed on a TS.  Not hard to do if you take your time. 

Filing and test fitting has the added benefit of gaining experience removing/installing the safety :)

what kind of file does one use?  I was sanding and it was not working at all.

I'll be honest, I feel like I have 10 thumbs every time I work on a pistol.

Other spring as in the spring for safety detent on left side? No need to touch that, it can stay.

There's no other spring in sear cage assembly other than sear spring.

I thought there was a lifter spring in the cage assembly as well (at least their was in the video I was watching).

That sear spring was a major PITA, would not stay up out of the groove and then eventualy the tail broke.  Gun still functions, but man it give me willies about mucking with it again.

Edited by Crazy Scientist

10 hours ago, Crazy Scientist said:

I thought there was a lifter spring in the cage assembly as well (at least their was in the video I was watching).

Shadow only has sear spring. Firing pin block models have lifter spring.

usually, but not always, you can simply turn the right hand safety straight up, 90 degrees to the frame and slide it into place without disturbing the detent, then carefully rotate it down/forward. 

Have you checked that the right side safety goes on the safety "shaft" when it is out of the gun completely?

If it is a new one it might require slight fitting (filing of the hole on the lever itself).

If that is ok, start by putting in the right hand side safety at first, 90 degrees pointing upwards, push it in, rotate it back down. Then put into place the left side safety (remember to pull back the detent).