Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow or S2 for Carry Optics

rlrock

I have a Shadow that I use for production and am having Cajun working on an S2 I bought from them.

The million dollar question is which one should I convert to CO. The S2 makes weight now w the USPSA rule changes.

Any input is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been pondering the same. I haven't seen any formal announcements from any of the "main" machine shops that they have any slide lightening milling patterns for the S2. You'll need to pull about 5-6 ounces of steel out of the slide.  Or you'll need to pull out about 3 oz and go to a plastic guiderod, ultralight grips, etc and find other ways to save weight.  Either way, it's possible, but will require some work, cost, and time.  Probably some trial and error, too.

The S1 just needs a milled slide, easy as pie.  I'm heavily leaning towards doing the S1.

Edited by ClangClang

11 hours ago, Kurusty said:

You can probably get away with just a dovetail mount on a S1.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I'd go this route initially, I am actually going to try this with my buddies Target II and if it seems viable and reliable  I'll be buying a target II of my own.

this will do the trick

DoveTail Red dot Mount

I'm shooting my Shadow 1 with optic.....my brand new unfired Shadow 2 (updated model with cutouts) will sit that way unless I have to use it as I have a  Shadow 2 Optics Ready from CZ on order which may come in by August..then I'll probably sell off the others and order another Shadow 2 Optics Ready as backup

Edited by race1911

I don't believe it is a "lightened slide" as in lightening cuts (like an open div gun).......but it has been milled behind the ejection port to accept optics and the one shown at IWA has a different slide profile (no angle cuts like the original S2) so noone knows if it weighs less than the original slide or not to make USPSA Carry Optics weight without milling or other weight reductions in components.....there is supposedly an adapter plate with an attached rear sight coming that you bolt on if you want to shoot Production div

I just shot my first match with a CO modified Shadow from CZC, and I can promise you that you will not be disappointed with the Shadow platform. The comments from the oh so supportive peanut gallery at the match did garner more then one comment on how accurate the gun was. The trigger system was superb, balance was outstanding, and it ran with 100% reliability. Coming from the L10/SS divisions the first double action shot is really weird, but time will fix that.

I'm unsure on the big differences between the Shadow and the S2, but the Shadow will do everything you want it to.

I run an S1 in CO. I had it milled by CGW. Sent them the slide, barrel, and sight. Came back mounted bomb proof. 2k rounds so far no issue. I’m running the DPP 7moa Delta. 

I had an S2 but decided to sell it since I already am so familiar with the S1 platform it’s fairly easy to switch back and forth between my CO and PROD S1s. 

Eventually i I will likely make the switch to S2 for both Divisions and maybe even LTD Minor.

however, todays delivery may keep me in LTD Major for the next while...

Edited by Sdlrodeo

3 hours ago, Sdlrodeo said:

I run an S1 in CO. I had it milled by CGW. Sent them the slide, barrel, and sight. Came back mounted bomb proof. 2k rounds so far no issue. I’m running the DPP 7moa Delta. 

I had an S2 but decided to sell it since I already am so familiar with the S1 platform it’s fairly easy to switch back and forth between my CO and PROD S1s. 

Eventually i I will likely make the switch to S2 for both Divisions and maybe even LTD Minor.

however, todays delivery may keep me in LTD Major for the next while...

So what did you get? 

1 minute ago, rlrock said:

Congrats! 

My friend has one in .40 and loves it. He has the Chaos as well.

Let us know how you like it.

Will do. I may or may not have to blast a few rounds out of it soon. But I’m concentrating on CO for A6 so unfortunately it will be a while before I really get some time behind it.