Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Starting Supplies

Crazy Scientist

So the press is on its way (650) plus Lee Classic Cast because I want to do some rifle (and brownells had free shipping).

For starting out what is a good set of powders to begin with?  Will be primarily loading for 40 (lim major for an STI), but may dabble in 9 and 45 along with 308.  I read up and people say to go whole hog on powders to avoid hazmat fees, but I am a bit uncomfortable with that as I have no clue which powders will be my 'go-to' in the long run.

Starting with 9/40 or 40/45 is there a powder that works well for both? 9mm would prob be behind 147s or similar and beginning  I was thinking 180gr in 40s.  Is there any bullet mfg to avoid?  (It seems like everyone has their favs).  

Same thing for stocking up on primers?

Basically before you go on bulk buys, how did you find what you liked?

I use Alliant Sport Pistol for both 9mm & 40 S&W. I have used VV320, Prima V, WST and others. For me Alliant Sport Pistol has been the best all around powder to date.

For Bullets, I've had great success with Black Bullets International, ACME and Missouri Bullets, all coated. No leasing and accurate. Easy on the wallet as well. I am currently shooting ACME 147 grain flat point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was a powder shortage, so I just bought whatever that available at the reloading store by the pound to try. WST, N320, titegroup. Then I got 8lbs of it on Powder Valley

I buy the cheapest non-russian & non-cci SPP/SRP that are available on PowderValley.

WST will work in 9, 40 and 45

E3 will work as well or better in all three

Slowly shifting from WST to e3 but I've got a large stock of WST and I split it the same on the timer.

Bayou Bullets for 9, 9 major , 40 and 45

I like to keep it simple as I can

Primers can be tricky depending on the gun.  CCI are hard and a light striker spring can lead to failure to detonate in Tupperware guns with light triggers, sometimes 1911/2011 require a longer firing pin, and the list goes on.  Just like bullets, by several different ones and find what your gun likes and then stock up.  Most bullet companies are selling samplepacks now.  You always sell primers you don't like as well.

I have to vote for WST also.  Use it for 45 and it meters nice, low smoke/flash, soft recoil and more accurate than I am. Currently shooting 4.7 grains under a 200 gr RN hi tech coated from summers enterprises.  Great prices with an even better product.  Using Winchester large pistol primers cause they were available and cheap, Over 1000 rounds so far and loving it..

Edited by Rustygun

auto comp for 40 and 9 or n320 for 40 and 90. bbi if you arent running 9 major will cover all of your caliber needs. otherwise i like precision deltas for best bang for your buck. 

WST will work in 9, 40 and 45
E3 will work as well or better in all three
Slowly shifting from WST to e3 but I've got a large stock of WST and I split it the same on the timer.
Bayou Bullets for 9, 9 major , 40 and 45
I like to keep it simple as I can

Wise man. My story is about the same, ‘cept I shoot Blue Bullets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use e3 for everything except Open Major, including my bullseye loads.  I prefer Dardas Cast bullets for lead, Precision Bullets for poly coated, Rainier for Plated, and Hornady or Montana Gold for jacketed.  My Limited Major load was 3.7gr e3 under a 180gr poly coated bullet (CCI primer) for 172PF.  SDs ranged from 4.8 to 7.1.

I'm using N320 for both 9mm and .40S&W. Precision Delta for my .40 180gr JHP, and Zero bullets for my 9mm 147gr JHP. If I were to go the coated route again I would use SNS Casting. SNS is super slick and I've never had any sizing/weight issues with them.

It took a little tinkering around to figure out what I liked, but N320 is a great powder for metering and soft shooting.

My go to powder no a days for most of my pistol calibers is Hodgdon LongShot, its a slower burning powder and does well in my 9mm, .40 cal., 357 SIG but I also really like CFE powders for both pistol and rifle (223 plinking rounds since it meters so well in a progressive).  But like others have said on the list, whatever port in a storm when you can't find what you like.  

For primers I would suggest winchester magnum pistol primers. For coated bullets, Blue Bullets are great; If you want to go with jacketed Precision Delta are good people to do business with. As other have said, you cant go wrong with V N320!

I guess my advice for a new loader would be find something that shoots well, makes PF and try not to mess with it. 

19 hours ago, tcazes said:

why the magnum primer suggestion? i dont know anyone that runs magnums even in open..

They are just a little warmer than the standard. Its hard to quantify due to variances but it looked they yielded a better average over the chrono. 

Likely it doesn't make a difference