Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PT Evo-Like Grips

Nayr

Hey folks,

Is anyone aware of a grip for CZs/Shadow 2 that would mimic the very aggressive feel of the PT Evo grips for 2011s? Handled a friend's 2011 build at a match today and it was exactly what I was working for with those grips - super aggressive.

I'm currently running Lok 's S2 Bogies with the texture covering the entirety of the grip (custom order). They are decent, but I would prefer something more aggressive. The CZC lemon graters are pretty solid, although a bit thicker than I'd like.

Appreciate the suggestions. Thanks.

7 minutes ago, Balakay said:

Not even close!

Have to coat grips with silicon carbide if you want a truly aggressive grip

I tried the 2.0 on a tac sport and they were really nice. Best grips so far. The CZC mikro grips will probably feel closest to the evo  

31 minutes ago, Superpipe9 said:

I tried the 2.0 on a tac sport and they were really nice. Best grips so far. The CZC mikro grips will probably feel closest to the evo  

Those Mikros seem interesting. Have you tried them? Are they "thin" style grips like some of the other grips from CZC?

i do not like flat profile grips. that said, i did have the lemon grater grips on a 75 series gun years ago and at the time they were the most aggressive. then i tried the tactical diamond backs from vz and they were the most aggressive. now i use the hennings. they are not aggressive like a pt evo grip in feeling but they provide more outright grip (for me) because of how they generate friction. if the czc pocket grips were oversize in such a way that the part machined out overlapped and created the type of grip 'point' like on my pt evo grip that'd be great. but they don't.

i had a pt evo grip on a 2011. no cz grip is like that in my experience.

2 hours ago, rowdyb said:

i do not like flat profile grips. that said, i did have the lemon grater grips on a 75 series gun years ago and at the time they were the most aggressive. then i tried the tactical diamond backs from vz and they were the most aggressive. now i use the hennings. they are not aggressive like a pt evo grip in feeling but they provide more outright grip (for me) because of how they generate friction. if the czc pocket grips were oversize in such a way that the part machined out overlapped and created the type of grip 'point' like on my pt evo grip that'd be great. but they don't.

i had a pt evo grip on a 2011. no cz grip is like that in my experience.

Thanks for your input - def saves me the trouble of trying to find something that doesn't exist.

2 hours ago, Nayr said:

Those Mikros seem interesting. Have you tried them? Are they "thin" style grips like some of the other grips from CZC?

No I haven’t tried them but CZC said that they were about the same thickness as the aluminum grips on the tac sport orange, maybe a little thinner so that’s a no go for me. Wish they would make them in a palm swell type. 

9 minutes ago, Superpipe9 said:

No I haven’t tried them but CZC said that they were about the same thickness as the aluminum grips on the tac sport orange, maybe a little thinner so that’s a no go for me. Wish they would make them in a palm swell type. 

I'm going to give the Lok Shadow 2-specific palm swells a shot. The bogie texture is pretty solid - i wonder if the gaps between the palm and the grips with the thin grips are what's making the grips seem not as abrasive to me.

Have you thought about taking a pair of any company's palm swells or even stock sp01 rubber grips and sanding them just a little so that you could then silicone carbide the entire grip?

I use a lok palm swell on the right and a thick DAA aluminum grip covered in silicone carbide. They are more grippy than any other that I've tried.

To be honest for me, with fairly dry hands, fresh skateboard tape texture has the most grip. I haven't been able to find any that will stay stick on a grip panel without moving around or stay clean long enough to remain grippy.

I also noticed that with silicone carbide, if you don't apply too much pressure you can slide your hand around and reposition it while still maintaining contact. For me this is needed when I get a bad grip on the draw or something. With skateboard tape that's grippy, wherever the hand hits, it's pretty much there unless you completely take your hand off. 

Oh yeah and with the new production rules on grip and weight, you could probably add epoxy or jb weld to your frame and grip panels, sand it down to be whatever frame profile you want and then add silicone carbide on the whole thing. It'd be a lot of work but you could probably replicate the pt evo grip that way.

Edited by Fantom919

6 hours ago, rowdyb said:

Have you thought about taking a pair of any company's palm swells or even stock sp01 rubber grips and sanding them just a little so that you could then silicone carbide the entire grip?

I've thought about it before. Not sure how big of a pain in the ass it'd be to do.

I love CZC and Stuart has treated me better than I could have ever imagined. So many times he's helped me in a tight bind. But....

But if I was in R&D those grips would have the same texture/milling pattern across the whole posterior aspect, that runs along the back strap portion of the grip.

My guess why it isn't is the machining costs for that would make it a grip no one would pay for. But in the world of $135 henning grips I bet some would. That texture (pictured above) completely around a rounded/palm swell grip made of aluminum, or even steel for some folks, would be the perfect cz grip. (not flat, no smooth sections)

2 hours ago, rowdyb said:

I love CZC and Stuart has treated me better than I could have ever imagined. So many times he's helped me in a tight bind. But....

But if I was in R&D those grips would have the same texture/milling pattern across the whole posterior aspect, that runs along the back strap portion of the grip.

My guess why it isn't is the machining costs for that would make it a grip no one would pay for. But in the world of $135 henning grips I bet some would. That texture (pictured above) completely around a rounded/palm swell grip made of aluminum, or even steel for some folks, would be the perfect cz grip. (not flat, no smooth sections)

I do really like that my LOK grips continue with the pattern to the end of the grips. I think you're dead on with your analysis.

3 hours ago, rowdyb said:

I agree completely. Palm swell and fully textured. 

7 hours ago, Nayr said:

I've thought about it before. Not sure how big of a pain in the ass it'd be to do.

I just did a set of the stock rubber grips and they turned out good. JB weld sticks solidly so far. 

To resurrect this thread a bit, I've found my grip issue is definitely related to not having a palm swell. I've tried Bogies, Diamondbacks, etc. and while the texture is aggressive, the texture doesn't make enough contact with my hand to really matter.

I have a set of Bogies in palm swell on order, and am also going to give the stock rubber grips a shot as well.

On 3/18/2018 at 1:29 PM, Nayr said:

Hey folks,

Is anyone aware of a grip for CZs/Shadow 2 that would mimic the very aggressive feel of the PT Evo grips for 2011s? Handled a friend's 2011 build at a match today and it was exactly what I was working for with those grips - super aggressive.

I'm currently running Lok 's S2 Bogies with the texture covering the entirety of the grip (custom order). They are decent, but I would prefer something more aggressive. The CZC lemon graters are pretty solid, although a bit thicker than I'd like.

Appreciate the suggestions. Thanks.

DAA thick, its what I ended on after trying CZC thick, various g10 from amazon, and hennings.

It has a very square side and also pushes the "corner" of the grips back, creating a larger overall radius

I found Scales 2.0 to work best. I don't quite understand the whole lemon graters being aggressive. I found they offered very little grip. I think there are other factors that need to be taken into account when considering grip other than grip aggressiveness. My issue is primarily an issue of sweat. The Scales 2.0 work very well with sweat due to the pockets whereas other grips the sweat just sticks between the grip and hand.