Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sell my 1911s to fund an SVI? (new uspsa shooter)

wrx04

I recently started shooting with the local USPSA group, and I think I’m gonna commit to the sport.  I plan to shoot my G17 for a while, but as I learn about the game, I think I would prefer to shoot limited division.

Long story short, I’m thinking of selling off my single stack 1911’s (and a couple other guns) and put the money towards a 5.4” Infinity in .40.  I’ve consolidated my handguns to 9mm glocks and single stack 1911s in .45 up to this point.  I have tons of mags/holsters/reloading supplies to support each platform.  My dilemma is this:  I *think* I know what I’d want in a competition gun, but I may change my mind after shooting a little more.

Is it a bad idea to sell a Wilson and a Baer (along with all the mags/holsters, etc...) to buy an Infinity?  I don’t think I want to shoot single stack.

Please let me know your opinion.  The wait on the SVI is about a year, so I’d rather order sooner than later if this is what I decide to do.  Thanks 

Edited by wrx04
Spelling/add

Sell those overpriced 1911, buy a nice used 2011, keep the rest of the money in the SVI fund. 20,000 rounds later you will now what you want. Order SVI keep the old gun as a backup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 hour ago, wrx04 said:

I  think  I’m gonna commit to the sport. 

bad idea to sell a Wilson and a Baer to buy an Infinity?   

Could be a great idea,    BUT     it's too early to tell.    ;)

Keep shooting the G17 (or, even better, shoot The Wilson or Baer)

for a little longer    BEFORE    you make your decision.

Or, BEST OPTION, keep both 1911's and order your Infinity    :) 

I believe dvc4you is partially on the right track, just my opinion dvc4you :) , keep your 1911 pistols for now and look into getting a more moderately priced 2011 to run.  Obviously you enjoy / enjoyed the 1911 platform at one time and before letting them go make sure you have the same attraction to the 2011 platform.  You can watch the forums here on Enos and come across some excellent deals on 2011 pistols if you decide to go with a used gun to experiment with.  Best of luck with whatever decision you make  

Get a Glock 22/35 to start limited. I regret selling a few guns I started with in USPSA.

Or buy a used 2011. I surely wouldn’t sell anything I had attachment to just to wait for a custom gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys.  I think may try to pick up a used 2011 and shoot it for a bit.  I really like my 1911s still, so I think I’ll hang on to them and save up money for now.  

Is there a certain round count you would avoid in picking up a used gun?  I know some guys shoot A LOT, and I don’t want to drop $2k+ on a worn out gun.  Over 20k rounds seems like quite a bit of rounds to me....not sure if that’s an accurate assessment.  

8 minutes ago, wrx04 said:

Thanks guys.  I think may try to pick up a used 2011 and shoot it for a bit.  I really like my 1911s still, so I think I’ll hang on to them and save up money for now.  

Is there a certain round count you would avoid in picking up a used gun?  I know some guys shoot A LOT, and I don’t want to drop $2k+ on a worn out gun.  Over 20k rounds seems like quite a bit of rounds to me....not sure if that’s an accurate assessment.  

That depends on so many different things. My oldest 9MAJOR Open gun is 5 years old with around 50k rounds on it and it’s still going strong.

For the little over 2k you can buy a new CRP pistol from Dawson Precision.   It is a loooonnnngggg wait for a svi, and with you not being accustomed to the 2011 platform i would definitely get or borrow one before dropping infinity $$$$$.  You may end up wishing you could change some options and end up trying to sell a very expensive gun and possibly taking a beating for it.  Besides the CRP gun will make a sweet backup gun to the infinity if you decide to jump into that ocean.  

As others have said, if you still enjoy your 1911s you should hang onto them. Selling those to fund a new SVI with the 12-14 month wait that it comes with seems like a recipe for regret and maybe even disappointment. 

Do you have a budget that you're comfortable with now? If so you could look for a used gun either locally or here in the BE classifieds. 

I think a used 2011 is probably the best way for almost anyone to get into the platform. It's less expensive than buying new, and often times you can get a used 2011 with enough magazines (3-or more) magazines to be ready to go. 

The other benefit of a used 2011 is they don't really lose that much of their value as long as their well maintained. So if you decided to turn around and sell it you could probably get back about what you paid for it. 

The biggest benefit to a used 2011 or a new one that fits your budget is you get to shoot in the division you want to right now without waiting. 

2 hours ago, KrymSIX said:

you can get a used 2011 with enough magazines (3-or more) magazines to be ready to go. 

and  they don't  lose much of their value 

Whoa.   Which is it ?

If they don't lose much value,  you  can't  get much of a break on a used gun, 

or,

they do lose value, and you can get a break on a used gun.

Can't have it BOTH ways    :rolleyes:

I never buy a used gun that I can't shoot before deciding - has to be local to do that, of course    :) 

@Hi-Power Jack when I say "they don't lose much of their value" I'm referring to buying a 2011 that is already used and then re-selling. The first owner who bought it new takes the biggest hit in depreciation. Sorry if that wasn't clear in how I worded it.

Also, when buying a used gun that is packaged with magazines you typically get a good value as well as the benefit of having mags that run in that gun. 

Of course it's not an exact formula and their are always exceptions. Simply saying that buying used can have benefits. 

If the budget allows, there's no reason not to get something new either. Going for a full custom right out of the gate with the expense and wait time just seems like it may not be the best idea.

I can echo most of the advice given here already from recent direct experience.

I am also new to USPSA (started last year after shooting SCSA for a while) and loved it so much I decided to jump in the deep end with a 2011. I looked at a lot of options, but then realized that the best advice I received, and the same advice I am passing along now, is to buy something used for now, get it looked over and cleaned up by a decent smith and shoot it for a year or two before spending any more money.

Advantages:

1) The bugs are worked out of the gun by now (hopefully).

2) You will save a ton of money, and as mentioned, you can probably sell it again for close to what you paid for it.

3) You will probably pick up some mags in the deal.

4) It gives you a chance to decide what features you want in a 2011 Limited gun, so if you do decide to order that SVI, you will know exactly what you want.

5) You can start shooting right away as opposed to many months of waiting for the SVI.

I recently bought a used Triangle Shooting Sports (Benny Hill) custom 2011 along with 6 mags at a great deal. Had my smith go through it, fine tuned, etc, and I am thrilled with the results.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

I shot single stack and then tupperware in limited for a long time.   Best thing I ever did was to buy a used SVI.  

I bought my first used SVI for $1900 and it came with 6 magazines.  It was 8, 9 years old?...not sure...had at least 50k rounds through it before I bought it, and it looked like it.  It looked beat to hell, ugly finish...yada yada yada... but when run with handloads per the previous owners specs, it ran like a freaking top.  WAY more accurate and faster than I was.  About 40k rounds later, I STILL haven't replaced the barrel or any of the fire control group except for springs.  I have replaced the fiber optic in the front site.. but that's it.  It's still relatively ugly, and it's still way more accurate and faster than I'm capable of exploiting.  The thing is, I have zero fear of beating it up, throwing it on a table, rolling through the dirt with it, whatever...I think that gun will be performing like a hoss for my kid or someone else long after I'm rotting in the ground.

About the worst case with a used steel/ss 2011 is that you might have to get a new barrel and fire control group and have it installed/fitted... with a used svi, you can send it to them and they'll get it back to you in a much shorter time than a full-on build will take, or you can take it to a local gunsmith and they can do the same- maybe...make sure you make friends with a semi-nearby smith who is trustworthy. 

If you buy a used blaster from a forum member here (I've bought 8?  maybe 9?  don't tell my wife!)  you are very likely to not have to do anything to it when you get it except learn to run it... so far, I've never had a bad brianenos classified purchase experience.  

I have bought another SVI... a much newer, MUCH prettier, and much more $$$ experience.... and although I have shot it in a few matches, it's really so pretty I feel guilty throwing it around and abusing it... and to tell the truth, after all the time on my first SVI, I'm still more accurate with it, so don't run the new one in anything except steel matches.

If you have to have new, and you want it quickly, the recommendation of a Dawson CRP is solid.   Also a Brazos Customs DVC limited is also a good -but more $$$ - option.  Either will be a LOT faster than waiting on a new SVI.

I'm not saying don't order a new SVI.  I'm simply saying there are lots of options, and as others have said, or at least hinted at, what you may be thinking you want right now might not be what you will think you'll want in a year or 2.

On 3/24/2018 at 12:37 AM, rmantoo said:

I shot single stack and then tupperware in limited for a long time.   Best thing I ever did was to buy a used SVI.  

I'm not saying don't order a new SVI.  I'm simply saying there are lots of options, and as others have said, or at least hinted at, what you may be thinking you want right now might not be what you will think you'll want in a year or 2.

Thats a great story, but used SVI’s seem hard to find....I’ve been looking.  I’m a believer of the “buy once, cry once” philosophy, but decided to take a different route.  I bought a new CZ TSO and a Dillon 1050 setup for .40S&W.  The CZ, 1050, 10k primers, and 8lb of VV N320 all arrived today! ......GREAT day for deliveries at my house, lol.

It’s a leap of faith, and we will see how it ends up, but I will enjoy the journey.  At the end of the day, I want to be a better SHOOTER, so my skills are much more important to me than my equipment.  It’s fun to buy new things, but I felt the investment in top notch reloading equipment/ammo would benefit me more than a $5k custom gun that I don’t shoot enough.

When I get to “A” class or better, I’ll think about “upgrading” my gun.  Not sure how I’ll like the CZ yet.....

*tried posting up photos, but file size is too big

Dude, the TSO is an AMAZING blaster!   You're gonna love it...and if you decide it's not 'the' one for you long-term, you won't lose money when you re-home it :)   

More importantly, the 1050 will most likely be with you forever, and you can use it for almost any reloading you ever want to do.   Enjoy.

On 3/30/2018 at 8:58 PM, wrx04 said:

When I get to “A” class or better, I’ll think about “upgrading” my gun.  Not sure how I’ll like the CZ yet.....

Well, if you were to place an order today and keep shooting you will get to "A" class or better by the time the SVI is ready.  :D

I took the gradual upgrade route, and in retrospect wish I had just bought the best, first.  At a minimum, I’d suggest hetting a tuned STI (Brazos or Dawson) or a really good used custom STI.   I wasted a lot of money, and no little amount of frustration, buying up over time.

I recently sold off some of my firearms (some ARs and Pistols) to upgrade to an STI DVC for 3gun, USPSA, knockdown, etc. for me, it was a great decision because I like to only have guns that i plan to shoot often... I’m not much for collecting. Ask yourself if you’ll regret selling them down the road, and if the answer is maybe, then keen them and save up for the next one over time.

I bought my STI in 9mm because I prefer to shoot 3gun over USPSA. Now I can’t decide if I want to buy a limited gun as well... for now, I’m happy with 9mm, even with a slight disadvantage for USPSA.

• 11 months later...