Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who makes a uncaptured tugstin guide rod for Glock.

Explosiveo

I'm looking for a heavy uncaptured guide rod for a Glock 17. I want to be able to swap out spring weights really easily as I learn to reload. Plus I am having issues with the screws on my captured tungstin guide rod backing out no matter how much blue lock tight I put on it and how long I wait.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Explosiveo said:

I'm looking for a heavy uncaptured guide rod for a Glock 17. I want to be able to swap out spring weights really easily as I learn to reload. Plus I am having issues with the screws on my captured tungstin guide rod backing out no matter how much blue lock tight I put on it and how long I wait.

Might try looking at Carver. 

I use stainless captured, and shoot with the screw removed. Then only put the screw in when removing/installing the rod in the pistol. 

The Glock Store makes an uncaptured Tungsten guid rod that is extra long to fit models 34 and 35. I use them in the 17 and just shorten them to the correct length with a Dremel cut off wheel.
Thank you sir. That is what I am looking for!

Might try looking at Carver. 

I use stainless captured, and shoot with the screw removed. Then only put the screw in when removing/installing the rod in the pistol. 
Thanks for your answer. I think I want to go with Tungstin. Just for the added weight.

Just be careful when you shorten it to leave about  1/8" sticking out the front. It gives you room to break the sharp edge and square it up nicely.  I just did one for a Model 21 and it turned out perfect. It does add a little weight and changing springs is a breeze.

Edited by bowenbuilt

I just got a .270 dia. full length hardend still rod from from jäger that uses 1911 wolf springs. Got a 12 lb and a 13 lb spring for it. Installed it and seems to be excellent haven't shot it yet. Using it in my g-34 gen three.

Just be careful when you shorten it to leave about  1/8" sticking out the front. It gives you room to break the sharp edge and square it up nicely.  I just did one for a Model 21 and it turned out perfect. It does add a little weight and changing springs is a breeze.
Thanks for the info, that shounds perfect.

I just got a .270 dia. full length hardend still rod from from jäger that uses 1911 wolf springs. Got a 12 lb and a 13 lb spring for it. Installed it and seems to be excellent haven't shot it yet. Using it in my g-34 gen three.
Weird that most of these seem to be made for the 34-35. Sounds easy enough to modify for the 17 though.

On 3/21/2018 at 7:35 PM, Explosiveo said:

+1 emoji109.pngemoji110.pngemoji870.png

This is not a one size fits all item. Glocks are like Legos with interchangeability. The slide of my G22 fits on my G35 and vice versa, because both models use the same grip frame, as do the 17 and 34. Please go to the Glockstore website and see they sell a captured tungsten guide rod model that fits all Glocks with the same length recoil spring guide rod assembly, essentially all the first 3 generations but not the 42 or 43. The extended guide rod for the 34 and 35 mentioned above by "bowenbuilt" passes through bottom of the slide below the barrel where the other standard captured guide rods end, and goes out to match the longer barrel length. Thus it weighs a little more than the standard one. 

This is not a one size fits all item. Glocks are like Legos with interchangeability. The slide of my G22 fits on my G35 and vice versa, because both models use the same grip frame, as do the 17 and 34. Please go to the Glockstore website and see they sell a captured tungsten guide rod model that fits all Glocks with the same length recoil spring guide rod assembly, essentially all the first 3 generations but not the 42 or 43. The extended guide rod for the 34 and 35 mentioned above by "bowenbuilt" passes through bottom of the slide below the barrel where the other standard captured guide rods end, and goes out to match the longer barrel length. Thus it weighs a little more than the standard one. 
Ya. I understand. I have the captured version and I am running it with the ge3-gen4 adapter. I want to get the uncaptured version. Which I was having trouble finding. Thanks to the answers above I was able to find it. Thanks to all who took the time to answer.