Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What are the best upgrades you`ve done 650xl

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dillon casefeeder, Mr Bulletfeeder, XL 650 Premium performance improvements kit (eBay - snowshooze is the seller), missed live primer shoot (eBay several sellers on there) and Starlight press lighting system (Reloading Innovations).

On 3/14/2018 at 12:39 PM, Paulie said:

Strong mount.

Dillon wrench kit

Enclosed spent primer catch system. 

Plus the Dillon Primer stop switch for XL 650 (ebay), I was always using the wrench to unscrew the primer advancing trigger and this is a really great gadget 

Since the start of this thread, I have now installed Mr Bullet feeder and the Reloading Inno starlight. I cannot believe what a difference both upgrades have made. Why did I wait so long???

thanks amigos...this has been an educational thread. 

10 hours ago, Banacek said:

Plus the Dillon Primer stop switch for XL 650 (ebay), I was always using the wrench to unscrew the primer advancing trigger and this is a really great gadget 

You just improved the quality of my life. Thanks!!!

On 3/21/2018 at 9:42 AM, Banacek said:

Why spend money or unbolt the ramp - either one?

Simply use your fingertip to push the little chrome arm upward out of the primer wheel as you raise the shellplate. Free. Fast. works 100%.

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 10:42 AM, Banacek said:

I just ordered it last night along with the bearing upgrade.  It looks like it's coming from Alaska.

For those using the Mr Bulletfeeder on the 650, do you need to give up a station for this to work?

I just ordered the 650 today. Should I wait a bit before adding the bullet feeder or go ahead order now and hooked it all up at once? The bullet feeder wasnt part of the "customize your press" setup or I woulved ordered it with everything. 

6 minutes ago, PhillySoldier said:

For those using the Mr Bulletfeeder on the 650, do you need to give up a station for this to work?

Yes, if you’re using Dillon’s powdercheck in station 3. 

It becomes:

Size / deprime

Prime / powder drop

Bulletfeeder

Seat

Crimp

I highly recommend the bulletfeeder along with a small automotive inspection mirror ziptied to the frame, since you no longer have the buzzer going off for a squib or doublecharge as a backup to your visual inspection.

Makes it easy to see the powder level in station 3 before your press places a bullet on the upstroke. 

The bullet feeder is a massive production increase, second only to the casefeeder and owning multiple primer pickiup tubes.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I thought I saw something about a die can be replaced with somthing so that you didnt have to give up a station but I didnt see any further details on what exactly I needed to order to do just that. Id rather not give up the powder check if I can avoid it (specially considering I just ordered it and havent even received it yet let alone used it)

Or just go without a bullet feeder. Been hand feeding bullets for 15 years and probably won't stop...

To increase loading room effiency I usually suggest a RF100 automatic primer loader. Dump a tube of primers into your 650 primer mag, load the RF with a tray of primers and turn it on, and go back to loading. when you need more primers they are ready for you. Way faster than pecking at a primer tray or any other tube loader.

(And to all of you out there who will flame on me for suggesting it, I have heard it all so don't bother...fact is they work if you bother to set them up correctly)

jj

If you have the case feeder then bullet feeder would be #2. You can make a spent primer tube system just by drilling out the case head of a .44 Magnum. I used a countersink bit after I drilled the hole to add a funnel all the way to the outside of the rim. Used the existing mounting bracket to hold it in place and a piece of tubing around the end of the case through a hole in the bench to carry the primers to a bottle. 

I like the idea of the primer loader. That is definitely getting added to my shopping list 

As for the bullet feeder, is there a problem with the seat and crimp in a single station? Id rather give up on the feeder and do it by hand; if its at the cost of safety and losing the powder check. 

My suggested order (for what I have done)... casefeeder is an obvious, but for operational efficiency

Address the live primer ski jump and the used primer system (several options on Ebay).  Prevents messes

LIGHTS

Primer feed cut off switch

Roller handle

Bearings/ rollers instead of lubed contact surfaces

2 hours ago, bubbadoc said:

My suggested order (for what I have done)... casefeeder is an obvious, but for operational efficiency

Address the live primer ski jump and the used primer system (several options on Ebay).  Prevents messes

LIGHTS

Primer feed cut off switch

Roller handle

Bearings/ rollers instead of lubed contact surfaces

^Yup, exactly what i did.

9 hours ago, IrishPsych said:

You guys running a bullet feeder, that means no powder check die? 

DAA 2-IN-1 SEATING AND CRIMPING DIE

For $22 I figured its worth a try and have ordered over over this past weekend. I did spent a bunch of time researching it and from what ive found, those that have it have not had any problems doing this in one station. 

I joined this forum just to reply to this thread!

I've got lots of updates on my 650, but the best one so far is the EntirelyCrimson powder measure quick disconnect.  I just received it yesterday and installed it today.  Oh man, what a joy.  Just pull the handle and the powder measure comes off the die.  Great for dumping unused powder back into the can.  Even better when you need to adjust the case bell on the fly.

Other upgrades.

Strongmount

Inline Fabrication ergo roller handle

bearing kit with low mass ball

custom M die type powder funnels

missed primer catcher bottle

spent primer bottle

DIY locater button tabs, piece of milk jug cut to size

case feeder of course

RCBS lockout die

case feeder stop

knobs for the powder measure bolt

last, but not least...Quinetics bullet puller to fix my mistakes.

I'm fine with feeding bullets by hand.