Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mailing ammo to yourself for matches

For those of you who mail ammo to a march hotel, what’s the most economical way to mail yourself?

I’m heading to a girlfriend’s place out east and considering shooting a match while I’m there. Looking at options.

On a related note, how many rounds of 9mm 124gr can I check and stay under the 11lb TSA limit? (Wondering if someone else has done the scale thing before I get home to do it myself.)

• 3 weeks later...

Generally UPS, just kick it out the door and ship like normal. You just have to drop it off at their local Distribution Center. 

I usually contact the MD and ask where I can ship it too. If its just a quick in and out I can fly with about 500 rounds. 

Southwest 2 bags fly free. 1 bag with gun ammo and gear type crap and other with my clothes. 

On 3/28/2018 at 8:02 AM, Dutchman195 said:

Generally UPS, just kick it out the door and ship like normal. You just have to drop it off at their local Distribution Center. 

I usually contact the MD and ask where I can ship it too. If its just a quick in and out I can fly with about 500 rounds. 

Southwest 2 bags fly free. 1 bag with gun ammo and gear type crap and other with my clothes. 

Typically, I'll ship ammo (UPS) as soon as possible to the MD provided address or range (email them for address if not clearly stated).  That way I can track the ammo and confirm it has been delivered.  If any issues come along I still have plenty of time to either ship again or carry with me via luggage.  

Regarding hand-off to UPS, you can either do so at the UPS DC or with a UPS driver, not at the UPS stores.  

If its just a local fly with 300, should be enough. Shipping ammo if you don't need to is kinda expensive. I want to say 400 rounds of 40 for nationals that I shipped last year was 20 bucks or something and If I would of had more than 200 left over I would of needed to ship it back or junk it.

If you will be going out there often  I would just order a case of ammo from somewhere with free shipping and have it sent to her house. Probably cheaper than you can load it and ship it.

I wound up flying with 400 rounds. Just a bit overweight, figured I could toss 100 rounds in the trash without crying too hard.

Made sure my bag was more than 10 pounds under the 50# limit, too.

They barely glanced at the ammo.

Oh, also. Regulations say ammo must be brought “in factory packaging.” I had a friend hassled once about his Dillon ammo boxes, even though they store the ammo much more securely than Winchester White Box where it’s all just loose in a small cardboard box.

I swiped some empty ammo boxes from the local indoor range’s trash can, and neatly packed my reloads in them.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/8/2018 at 2:31 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

I wound up flying with 400 rounds. Just a bit overweight, figured I could toss 100 rounds in the trash without crying too hard.

Made sure my bag was more than 10 pounds under the 50# limit, too.

They barely glanced at the ammo.

Oh, also. Regulations say ammo must be brought “in factory packaging.” I had a friend hassled once about his Dillon ammo boxes, even though they store the ammo much more securely than Winchester White Box where it’s all just loose in a small cardboard box.

I swiped some empty ammo boxes from the local indoor range’s trash can, and neatly packed my reloads in them.

I haven't flown with ammo yet, but I have a good collection of factory ammo boxes that I've saved over the last couple of years.  I primarily shoot at a private range, but some of the public ranges around here give people a hard time about reloads, so i use the factory boxes to avoid hassles.

On 4/8/2018 at 2:31 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

You can be hassled over anything, doesn't mean it's right. Airline counter people are not often knowledgeable of all the regs, and in some airports may be contracted from another airline with different regs. It's a headache, but depending on your situation could be an argument worth having.

From TSA:

Ammunition

• Ammunition is prohibited in carry-on baggage, but may be transported in checked baggage.
  • Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be securely boxed or included within a hard-sided case containing an unloaded firearm. Read the requirements governing the transport of ammunition in checked baggage as defined by 49 CFR 175.10 (a)(8).
  • Small arms ammunition, including ammunition not exceeding .75 caliber and shotgun shells of any gauge, may be carried in the same hard-sided case as the firearm.

From 49 CFR:

(8) Small arms ammunition for personal use carried by a crewmember or passenger in checked baggage only, if securely packed in boxes or other packagings specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition. Ammunition clips and magazines must also be securely boxed. This paragraph does not apply to persons traveling under the provisions of 49 CFR 1544.219.

Airlines can establish their own regs within the bounds of the federal regs, hence AKAirs 50lb limit on many (not all) flights, but the packaging boilerplate tends to be similar:

From AK Air:

Ammunition must be securely packed in the original manufacturer's package or in a container designed for ammunition and of sufficient strength to protect it from accidental crushing or discharge (i.e. wood, fiber, plastic, or metal).

From Delta:

Ensure small arms ammunition is packed in the manufacturer's original package or securely packed in fiber, wood, plastic or metal boxes and provide separation for cartridges.

Basically loose packed is probably not gonna fly, ALWAYS refer to the airline's website for guidance, I have seen the requirements change. One important point is whether or not they call for separation of cartridges, if so loaded mags or stripper clips are probably out for that airline.

I put stickers from my bullet maker on my boxes, gives them a more "factory" appearance. When asked I've said "I'm the manufacturer" in the past.

I have flown with 500rnds of 1479mm in one bag and not been hassled.  But I have also had all my ammo pulled out and weighed on a scale and taken it down bullet by bullet to meet the weight limit and threw the rest away there at the counter.

Aaaaaand my global entry application was delayed for approval years ago because of an issue at an airport when I had ammo I'd missed in my carry on bag. (was trying to double duty and use it as my range bag as well on that trip). So yeah, getting fingerprinted at the airport because you forgot ammo sucks. And I was eventually given my SENTRI/Global Entry card.

I have also just paid the extra $ 25 for a second bag when needed and threw ammo in in, so putting 3-400rnds on one bag and the same amount again in another. Which has been roughly the same price as shipping ammo for me. Then I collapse the bags into one on the return home, so I'm hit with a fee just once.

When I've had to ship it I've just gone to a gun store I'm friendly with and asked them to do it. So it gets the orm-d stickers and their delivery person is used to accepting ammo shipments. Closer and easier than going to the UPS depot. But I've done that as well.

24 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

I have also just paid the extra $ 25 for a second bag when needed and threw ammo in in, so putting 3-400rnds on one bag and the same amount again in another. Which has been roughly the same price as shipping ammo for me. Then I collapse the bags into one on the return home, so I'm hit with a fee just once.

That. Is stupidly obvious. Why aren’t ALL OF US doing that?

Thanks, Rowdy!

6 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

That. Is stupidly obvious. Why aren’t ALL OF US doing that?

Thanks, Rowdy!

I think it all depends on which airline you fly. If the second bag fee is $50 then you have to think about it...

Southwest Airlines 

• When checking ammunition, Customers are limited to 11 pounds gross weight (ammunition plus container) per person.

I have seen the same statement from others ( except Alaska );  Is it per person or per checked bag ?  

I bet they mean  per person by saying "gross". But I'm posting about what I've done to get the result I wanted. Not a guideline for following airline policy hahahaha.

It's the saying, pigs get fat hogs get slaughtered. Just ways to be a pig flying with ammo, not a hog. I've had to check guns and ammo at least 50 times flying and other than me being dumb in my accountability of loose ammo, I've only be a "hog" once.

19 hours ago, rowdyb said:

I have flown with 500rnds of 1479mm in one bag and not been hassled.  But I have also had all my ammo pulled out and weighed on a scale and taken it down bullet by bullet to meet the weight limit and threw the rest away there at the counter.

That happened to me at Johannesburg airport. Had my hunting ammo weighed on the way to Zimbabwe. Had to throw out 4 rounds that cost about $5 per round to load. 

• 8 months later...
6 minutes ago, mwx40x40 said:

When shipping UPS, do you have to declare it as ammunition,or label it as such?

Yes. And UPS will not tell you what to put on the package...you have to find out for yourself and put it on the package BEFORE you get to the UPS store.

• 2 months later...
On 4/26/2018 at 9:43 AM, tanks said:

That happened to me at Johannesburg airport. Had my hunting ammo weighed on the way to Zimbabwe. Had to throw out 4 rounds that cost about $5 per round to load. 

International is usually different especially when flying to Africa. The 11 pound rule is always enforced. The rule is a locked hard case. I used to fly with a mini pelican case ,but switched to a aluminum case to save weight and increase my ammo allotment.  

pelican case 1120  1.42 lbs

cheap lockable aluminum case or thin plastic case  .82-1 lb

Usually I got weighed in the US and out of Kennedy airport there was no throwing away ammo.