Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Acquiring sights for second target after a point/shoot draw target

RickT

This I'm sure applies to USPSA, bu definitely to SC in my case.  I'm a high C shooter  otherwise know as "average".  I'm shooting most stages 4-3-1-2-S where possible for a variety of reasons, but primarily since I get a really good run at the stop plate left-to-right.  One of the things I fight is engaging a nearby plate after a point & shoot draw: think 4-3 on Smoke and Hope or Roundabout.  I really don't need to see the sights to hit the draw plate, but I'm not reacquiring the sights as fast as I can get to #3.  I can overcome this with drills, but I'd like to get an idea how others process this transition.  I understand good shooters are doing the necessary steps subconsciously, but if you were to break it down what are the processing steps.

For example, because the transition is so fast even for a really old guy I'm trying to get a sight picture on the draw plate even though I don't need one so I can hold the sight picture until I'm on the second plate.  This is not an issue on longer transitions as I can acquire the next target visually and capture/refine the sight picture as I decelerate onto the target, but on these fast transitions I'm just snapping to the target.  

7 minutes ago, RickT said:

I'm trying to get a sight picture on the draw plate even though I don't need one so I can hold the sight picture until I'm on the second plate.  

It sounds like you’re trying to traverse a sight picture from your fist target to your second, continuing to keep the sights in front of your eyes.

If so, no wonder you’re trying to fix slow transitions.

Acquire acceptable sight picture on #1.  Shoot it. The moment you call a good shot, swivel your eyes in their sockets to lock onto #2. Snap your head to it as you use your hips/thighs to drive your arms and gun over to where you’re now looking.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

2 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

It sounds like you’re trying to traverse a sight picture from your fist target to your second, continuing to keep the sights in front of your eyes.

If so, no wonder you’re trying to fix slow transitions.

Acquire acceptable sight picture on #1.  Shoot it. The moment you call a good shot, swivel your eyes in their sockets to lock onto #2. Snap your head to it as you use your hips/thighs to drive your arms and gun over to where you’re now looking.

I did an extremely poor job in my original post.  Not that I'm blazing fast, but it's not the physical transition that's the issue, it's probably my inability to acquire the sights fast enough on the second target.  As a crutch only I've been experimenting with holding onto the sight picture on these very short transitions.  I know it's not ideal.  It may be that I'm not visually acquiring the target fast enough so i don't have an accurate point of reference for my following  head and body.  I should probably being doing transition drills starting slow enough for good mechanics and working up as I train my mechanics.

Yes I agree.  You should.  However memphis mechanic was perfect in his description.  Eyes, head, gun.  If youre having trouble with acquiring sight picture possibly youre letting the gun drop down before moving across.  That will slow you down.  Keep gun up until it meets your eyeline.  Exaggerate keeping gun up little too high at first.  It seems slower at first by doing steps... eyes head gun... but do 10 reps this way & then check your times.  You will be pleased  

Just spent saturday working with some of my good friends on this exact thing.  

I am not the shooter Memphis is, but with my own experiences I have found flaws that may be similar....I could transition good (for my level) as long as I wasn’t doing it off a draw.  What I finally figured out was that my draw was not subconscious and it took my brain a few tenths of a second to catch up.  That would throw my timing off for the first target or 2 I transitioned to because my eyes were not getting there first like I was accustomed to.  Also I found when the first target was easy, I didn’t give myself enough time to get a good grip.   I could get away with it on the first target because it was easy, but then I was off for the rest of the targets because the gun was not ending up exactly how I expected it to.  For me, I am amazed at how much it throws off everything with the transition when my grip is just a little off.

Great responses.  Thanks.  What's particularly insidious is that after my cataract surgery when I was able to return to my right (dominant) eye my draw really improved; less deliberation on the draw seems to have compressed the time I have to manage engaging the second target.  The other thing I've noted is that I can get a good index on the draw without a good support hand grip, but as B585 mentioned, this casual grip has downstream effects.  Thank goodness I'm shooting a 9mm 1911 with sub-minor loads.  I think Friday I'll devote a good chunk of practice to improving my transition proces.

Blake drill and the Enos drill are great transition drills for this.  I have learned as most seasoned shooters have that smooth is fast.  If you are forcing it, it likely doesn't get a good result.  What you do has to be repeatable.   Dry fire is great practice. You can put up post it notes or playing cards for targets at varying distances.  Just like the draw, you train yourself to bring the sights to your eyes.  Memphis said it perfectly.  Slow it down for your brain, and remember that smooth really is fast. 

It bothers me you’d point shoot anything. 

You should have some awareness of sight relationship to the target, even on the first shot of a 3 yard paper target. 

Second, your grip should be refined enough that as you transition to the next target the sights stay lined up. The gun comes into your sight line for the next target and the sights should be pretty much aligned and your just breaking the shot and moving on based on your call. 

EYES, HEAD, GUN. EVERY TIME.