Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock shooting left

Drpparker95

I am a fairly new shooter, i have shot my cousins glock 19 and was really accurate able to hit a coffee can on most shots from 15 yards. Anyways i bought an used glock 22 because it was at too good a price to pass up. I am getting really good groups just way left of point of aim. Its not just me my cousin has taken his model 19 and shot directly to point of aim, then shot my model 22 aiming for the same place and it hits about 5 inches left.  My gun has the oem adjustable rear sight, white outline on adjustable base and the windage screw won't turn hardly any. 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there a question here?

There are lots of reasons why it may shoot left, but odds are it’s the shooter. Perhaps his sight has been drifted. Perhaps yours needs drifted. 99% or new shooters shoot Glocks left. Just a fact of the matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

His glock is stock from the factory. Im absolutely lost how we can both shoot his model 19 great but then my 22 i can aim at the center but bullets hit roughly 6 inches left of center all pretty close to each other. I can put about 10 rounds in an area bout as big around as the typical coffee cup. Any advice would be appreciated, my grip is currently a thumbs forward grip and when practicing dry firing the front sight does not move at all

Edited by Drpparker95

All Glocks shoot left.

For the first year. 

Over time they astonishingly enough begin to shoot closer and closer to dead center.

This is a tongue-in-cheek reference to your consistent trigger press issue with the larger grip and stouter recoil of the .40, which will slowly go away with routine practice.

17 minutes ago, Drpparker95 said:

If not then ill just aim farther right

Don't "just aim farther right". Shoot the gun off a bag and see if the gun needs to be sighted in. You will never be able to do anything properly with a gun that is not sighted in. If it is sighted in properly, the problem is sight alignment, sight picture, your grip, and/or trigger control.

Ive tried some wwb hollow points and blazer brass 180 grain. Would a different brand/size make a big difference. And no i haven't shot from a rest or anything all my shooting so far has been done standing with feet roughly shoulder width apart. Im still experimenting with the stance and grip to see what's most comfortable. So far 3 people have shot it and it shoots the same way for all of us so i highly doubt we are all making mistakes. Especially when one of them shooting was a marine corps mp

I have seen groups of people all shoot poorly and military experience is no proof against poor shooting. Really experienced Glock shooters may be able to better diagnose your problem - please post a picture from above of your rear sight position.

I shoot Glocks a lot and some do require sight adjustment from the center position.  The factory adjustable sight is a very poor quality sight - get a fixed sight.

I didn't realize it had an adjustable rear sight until after i bought it, i do love my cousins sights on his model 19 they're the standard fixed sights and they are great. Can't add picture its too big

Edited by Drpparker95

I cant shoot the gun left handed already tried shots are all over the place. Ill probably take it to the range and have them look it over. Im just getting really frustrated i can shoot his 19 great and every other handgun ive shot. This is my first full size glock and first 40 wonder if that could be an issue  

It is.

The reason I’m so insistent that it’s probsbly not the gun is because this is a really common problem for newer Glock shooters.

The larger frame and snappier recoil *do* matter more than you think.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

10 hours ago, Drpparker95 said:

When i get home I'll take pictures from the rear looking down the sights and also from above 

It is a good idea to check that out yourself and get it correct for your gun and sights. But it does not tell you what happens when the bullet leaves the barrel. It only tells you sight alignment. The next step is sight picture - the relationship between target and sight alignment. That has to be correct and can only  be confirmed by you. The step after that is keeping the correct sight picture until the bullet leaves the barrel and that you will only know when you learn to call your shots. These are fundamentals that you must learn. 1. i.d. the target. 2. Get the gun aligned on the target. 3. Keep the gun aligned on the target until the bullet leaves the barrel.

Can you get your hands on some sub-Major .40 loads ?

Try them and see if it's you or the gun.

I have to disagree with Memphis - you and your friends are Glock-friendly;   Can't

believe its all of you pulling the gun to the left.   Probably, IMHO, the sights.

BUT, try some light loads in the gun, and see if Memphis is right    :) 

Do you know the PF on those "std pressure 180 gr's" ?

I thought those were generating PF's around 180 or so ????

If they are that powerful, they could be inducing a leftward pull -  many shooters

are loading and shooting PF 140, or so - that's what I'd try - more like a 9mm.

See if less powerful loads make the "left shots" migrate back to center.

If they don't, I'd adjust the sights    :)