Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primers not fully seated

I just converted my press over from "decap-only" mode, meaning I had a universal decapping die in stage 1, removed the plastic piece on the frame that indexes the priming wheel, and had nothing in any other spot on the tool head.

Now I just switched everything back over to load 9mm, and I'm finding that my primers aren't being pushed in all the way.  They're just barely entering the primer pocket.  On the upstroke, the handle is going fully forward without any obstructions.  So, I figure that the ram that seats the primer needs to be adjusted up.  But, considering I've loaded 100k or so 9mm rounds on this press without ever having to adjust this, I'm hesitant to just assume this got out of adjustment somehow.  Is there some other common cause for this that I should check into first?

Thanks

Call Dillon and ask them, they will usually join in these threads but it might take a day or two. A quick call to them will probably get an immediate answer. I've heard of the primer ram coming loose, but I've never done that (in 200 K rounds) but I've never done decap only.

I would check the plastic primer advance thing. Since it’s the piece you changed since it worked before. The primer punch doesn’t get adjusted. It gets installed fully and tight. There’s no adjustment to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, cvincent said:

I would check the plastic primer advance thing. Since it’s the piece you changed since it worked before. The primer punch doesn’t get adjusted. It gets installed fully and tight. There’s no adjustment to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well it is screwed in so you should make sure, as cvincent says, that it is in there tight.  If you've never checked it there is a chance it has loosened over time.

It turns out that it was a simple as the primer plunger thing, the part that screws in underneath and has that thick spring around it, was quite loose.  I'm not sure how it got loose, but it did.  So, back in business.

16 hours ago, Overscore said:

It turns out that it was a simple as the primer plunger thing, the part that screws in underneath and has that thick spring around it, was quite loose.  I'm not sure how it got loose, but it did.  So, back in business.

Thanks for getting back on the fix. Always good to hear what the problem turned out to be.