Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

does completely new 9mm brass have to resized?

Fasthenk65

Strange question,

Now and then I buy new factory brass (Geco and S&B) for reloading. A friend says I still should resize them before reloading?? Sound strange to me, since new?

Your advice highly appreciated!

regards,

4 hours ago, Fasthenk65 said:

A friend says I still should resize them before reloading? 

If you're reloading on a press that has 4+ stations, resizing is

done automatically while you're reloading.  No extra step.

If you're reloading on a single stage, you should buy a press

that has 4+ stages    :) 

27 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

If you're reloading on a press that has 4+ stations, resizing is

done automatically while you're reloading.  No extra step.

If you're reloading on a single stage, you should buy a press

that has 4+ stages    :) 

:-) I am reloading the old fashioned way, separate resizing/decapping on tockchucker, hand priming then rest on the hornady LNL. So far I skipped the resizing proces (thus the rockchucker) with new brass but I will integrate it again with new brass. Never a problem though. Thanks all.

19 hours ago, Fasthenk65 said:

:-) I am reloading the old fashioned way, separate resizing/decapping on tockchucker, hand priming then rest on the hornady LNL. 

Are you aiming for 1 - 2" groups at 50 yards ?

If you're NOT, you are wasting an awful lot of your time -

the LNL will do it ALL in one easy pass    :) 

3 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Are you aiming for 1 - 2" groups at 50 yards ?

If you're NOT, you are wasting an awful lot of your time -

the LNL will do it ALL in one easy pass    :) 

My lnl bullets will shoot 2" groups with mixed brass fired dozens of times.  Good point Hi-power Jack.  Save the rocket science for the rockets.:)

23 hours ago, Fasthenk65 said:

:-) I am reloading the old fashioned way, separate resizing/decapping on tockchucker, hand priming then rest on the hornady LNL. So far I skipped the resizing proces (thus the rockchucker) with new brass but I will integrate it again with new brass. Never a problem though. Thanks all.

What benefit are you gaining by doing it that way vs just doing it all on the LNL?  You're tripling the number of times you have to touch each piece of brass.  If there isn't a very noticeable improvement in some metric, you're just being inefficient.

1 hour ago, olstyn said:

What benefit are you gaining by doing it that way vs just doing it all on the LNL?  You're tripling the number of times you have to touch each piece of brass.  If there isn't a very noticeable improvement in some metric, you're just being inefficient.

Gaining reliability since I shoot a heavy tuned gun primers have to be seated deeply... Furthermore the priming section of my LNL is very vulnerable, was never able to get it working correctly. But I agree, I waste a lot of time.... Dillon 650 with casefeeder and bulletfeeder underway :-)

19 minutes ago, Fasthenk65 said:

Gaining reliability since I shoot a heavy tuned gun primers have to be seated deeply... Furthermore the priming section of my LNL is very vulnerable, was never able to get it working correctly. But I agree, I waste a lot of time.... Dillon 650 with casefeeder and bulletfeeder underway :-)

Yeah, the priming system is definitely the largest weakness of the LNL.  Keeping it clean of grime/grains of powder/etc. is very important.  Even given that issue, though, I prefer it to hand priming.  I can definitely understand where if yours hasn't ever gotten running properly, you'd avoid using it.  Hopefully the Dillon works out better for you.

On 3/4/2018 at 2:47 PM, Fasthenk65 said:

...Dillon 650 with casefeeder and bulletfeeder underway :-)

Now you’re talking.

In a prior life I used to reload a lot of .300WinMag and 30-30 for hunting and a bit of .45 Colt for my single action. So when I started reloading for USPSA to get minor PF loads, I did a few thou of 9mm on a single stage press. It was great for load development but man did that take FOREVER!

fast forward (pun intended) to a few years ago and a 650 w/casefeeder—Pretty awesome. 

Last year ingot a Mr. Bullet feeder—wow!

I figure I’m reloading for Less than 2/3 the cost of pre-made competition ammo therefore I’ve already paid for my loading equipment. 

Now I'm making money. Well, that’s what I tell my wife anyway.