Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

To those who don’t load- what manuf. and model to pick?

Ozy

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I recently did some ransom rest testing of different brands of 9mm factory ammo. No surprise that your expensive match grade brands like Atlanta Arms and Nosler did great. What did surprise me was just how bad some of your more generic brands like Blazer Brass and American Eagle did @ 25 yards w like 5+"; 10rnd shot groups. Of course theyre the two brands Ive been shooting most for the last 2 yrs :( I did find one brand that shot as well as the match grade at a more normal price and that was the Browning Performance Target 147g w was shooting a bit under 2" groups. Browning also had a 115g w 3" groups at an even cheaper price. Note: I picked up the Browning for the test but have not actually fired it outside of the ransom rest yet to say anything else about it

My P09 really "likes" the cheap Federal 115 grain FMJ ammo I get from Walmart for about $18 per 100 rounds.

Seven shot, seven yards, rested while sighting in the (then) new RMR.  The group in the lower right corner was aimed at the target company logo.  The group high/left of the target was the previous 3 shots before another sight adjustment.

IJW6S6ql.jpg?1

I shot Freedom Munitions 135gr HP 9mm for a few years until  they recently filed for bankruptcy and seemingly stopped manufacturing their own cartridges. I would buy in bulk when there was a combined 10% off plus free shipping deal. I would pay about 18-19 cents per bullet. With good timing on their bad luck I just got my Dillon 650 set up and will be reloading from now on. 

1 hour ago, willis103 said:

I shot Freedom Munitions 135gr HP 9mm for a few years until  they recently filed for bankruptcy and seemingly stopped manufacturing their own cartridges. I would buy in bulk when there was a combined 10% off plus free shipping deal. I would pay about 18-19 cents per bullet. With good timing on their bad luck I just got my Dillon 650 set up and will be reloading from now on. 

On the .40 side, I see they have inventory of their in-house stuff now so I think they are still making but probably not in large quantities. Like you, I used to wait for the holiday sales and combine 10% with free shipping and brass trade-in credits. Their fourth of July sale is basically flat-rate shipping at $5 which isn't much of a bargain since I'm only one state over and a case is about $11 to ship.

Edited by Mcfoto

• 2 weeks later...