Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 17 which generation 2 buy?

scgun

On 3/20/2018 at 7:32 AM, Paul49 said:

Agreed. Gen 3 is the only model approved by the California DOJ for sale in the state. Glock will retain the Gen 3 as long as California remains repressive. Unless of course Glock wants to cut off the largest state from its pool for sales.

Why is it that they restrict other generations of glock from being sold there? Seems kind of silly. I mean a lot of things related to California dont make sense. But this seems extra silly.

On 3/22/2018 at 12:24 PM, Explosiveo said:

Why is it that they restrict other generations of glock from being sold there? Seems kind of silly. I mean a lot of things related to California dont make sense. But this seems extra silly.

California DOJ only allows sales of pistols on its roster of safe guns. To get a particular model (model NOT generation) on the roster, the manufacturer must submit a number of each model or variant for extensive safety and drop testing. I believe they also require new submissions after a certain year to have a loaded chamber indicator and a safety mechanism that does not allow the gun to fire if there is no magazine in it. An example of the degree of silliness: the black version of the Sig P226 Mk 25 is approved for sale but NOT the FDE model. That change in color might have an unexpected "impact" on drop testing! So it just gets too expensive to submit so many otherwise sellable new guns for testing. They hope the market will simply dry up, no new guns to sell some day. We cannot get any Glock Gen 4 or 5, Sig P320s, CZ TS Orange, Shadow 2, all sorts of interesting guns, just to mention a few I might covet. If you want one of those, you have to find an exempted person (LEO, some who moved here, someone in Hollywood, which is always exempted), someone who has already gotten the weapon of interest into the state. Then if they don't want it anymore, it is legal to sell by private party transfer with Dealer Record of Sale fees and background check. Of course these are rare as unicorns so the private parties charge way higher than retail for theses desirable purchases. We are also a universal background check state. If I didn't have over 40 years of family, neighbors, work colleagues, shooting friends, church community, paid off house with solar on the roof, etc., I'd be long gone.

California DOJ only allows sales of pistols on its roster of safe guns. To get a particular model (model NOT generation) on the roster, the manufacturer must submit a number of each model or variant for extensive safety and drop testing. I believe they also require new submissions after a certain year to have a loaded chamber indicator and a safety mechanism that does not allow the gun to fire if there is no magazine in it. An example of the degree of silliness: the black version of the Sig P226 Mk 25 is approved for sale but NOT the FDE model. That change in color might have an unexpected "impact" on drop testing! So it just gets too expensive to submit so many otherwise sellable new guns for testing. They hope the market will simply dry up, no new guns to sell some day. We cannot get any Glock Gen 4 or 5, Sig P320s, CZ TS Orange, Shadow 2, all sorts of interesting guns, just to mention a few I might covet. If you want one of those, you have to find an exempted person (LEO, some who moved here, someone in Hollywood, which is always exempted), someone who has already gotten the weapon of interest into the state. Then if they don't want it anymore, it is legal to sell by private party transfer with Dealer Record of Sale fees and background check. Of course these are rare as unicorns so the private parties charge way higher than retail for theses desirable purchases. We are also a universal background check state. If I didn't have over 40 years of family, neighbors, work colleagues, shooting friends, church community, paid off house with solar on the roof, etc., I'd be long gone.
Damn. That is harsh. I feel for you bro. So stupid.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

As a mechanical engineer, I really like most of the changes on the gen 5.  I also think the trigger feels better than any other glock generation I've used, both in stock configuration and after production-legal (old rules) modifications.  However, there's something weird about the gen 5 and maybe it's the way the trigger breaks.  I'm not sure.  Something about that gun makes it really hard for me to shoot good groups.  I can't seem to hit the broad side of a barn with it, regardless of the load I use.  I always perform much better with a gen 3.  Even a gen 4 works better for me.  And I despise the trigger on most gen 4 guns.

So I'm depressed.  I want to love the gen 5, but I can't shoot worth a crap with it.  It's probably something I will overcome with additional training, but I don't want to have to retrain myself when moving to a newer generation. 

My advice is to shoot what works.  Don't upgrade if you don't have to. 

For me, gen 3 guns work better.

The new gen3 are coming with the double recoil spring now and with the Gen 5 being out the Gen 4 are the same cost as the 3 . So I recommend getting the Gen 4 so you can get 3 mags for the same cost