Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pre timer jump

jaysrgu

3 hours ago, Dr. Phil said:

does your timer have a "random" start feature? That will help stop the anticipation...

Definitely. 

Relax, and forget about the buzzer, by directing all of your attention on the calm but focused feeling you will have when the pistol arrives at your Index position.

I found this from my notes on a previous post...

"Turret rotation" means maintaining your "Index." Your Index is the totality of your upper body position, once your sights are aligned on the target. While shooting from a certain position, your Index should never change. Proper technique is a tremendous aid to performance.

Practice learning the feel for the Index while dry-firing like this. Assume your Index. Take a moment to mentally scan your body from the waist up. Feel your upper body position as one whole unit. Now without thinking about anything, point your pistol at different objects around the room. Do this slowly at first, being sure to maintain the feeling of your immovable index as you move from target to target. 

To test your index's "immovablity," close your eyes, pivot to an imaginary target, then open your eyes and see if the sights are still aligned. If they are not, as you pivoted, something moved in your position from your waist up.

If you want to solve a problem within a certain realm, if you start with what's most important and then work from there, you will improve as fast as possible. In this example, keeping your sights perfectly aligned with your eye as your upper body moves from target to target is paramount. If you do that, your body will sort the rest out without you having to think about it.

In contrast, if you begin by wondering - do I pivot from my feet, my waist, or, will such-and-such technique be slower or faster, you'll never get to the bottom of the problem.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...