Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

E3 meetering/extreme spread issues

B_RAD

S, look for Alliant Sport Pistol.  Mine has not arrived yet, but everyone who has used it says it is the equivalent of N320 without the temperature sensitivity.  BTW, e3 has zero temperature sensitivity.

1 hour ago, zzt said:

S, look for Alliant Sport Pistol.  Mine has not arrived yet, but everyone who has used it says it is the equivalent of N320 without the temperature sensitivity.  BTW, e3 has zero temperature sensitivity.

Thanks.  I'll check it out. 

6 hours ago, zzt said:

Thank you sir.  Anything has to be cleaner than the hs-6.  I generally buy powder 48 pounds at a time.  My son also shoots and buying 1 pound bottles experimenting,  i just dont have the time for.  So finding something that lots of shooters agree on helps me spend my time loading ammo for us to use in big quantity.   Thanks 

I just boguht 11lbs of Prima SV. I've used Prima for 9mm and liked it. After Cha-lee posted that he was getting good results with SV I figured I'd consider it. I just want to get something working and go. I don't want to fiddle. E3 just didn't impress. Even if some of the ES issues were on my end. Hopefully I'll like SV and much as I do V. 

I'll update once I get something worked up. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just got 16 lbs of E3 in. I am using the Hornady LNL press. Set it to dispense 4.0 grains. Weighed powder after calibrating my RCBS charge master.  Weighed 60 dumps.  First 20 = 79.9 grain total; Second 20= 79.7 grains; Third 20=80.1 grains.  Close enough for my liking.  I weighed them individually and collectively using 20 different cases.  Will chrono as soon as the rain disappears.

5 minutes ago, StuckinMS said:

Just got 16 lbs of E3 in. I am using the Hornady LNL press. Set it to dispense 4.0 grains. Weighed powder after calibrating my RCBS charge master.  Weighed 60 dumps.  First 20 = 79.9 grain total; Second 20= 79.7 grains; Third 20=80.1 grains.  Close enough for my liking.  I weighed them individually and collectively using 20 different cases.  Will chrono as soon as the rain disappears.

Yeah, that'd be good enough for me too. 

However, I've moved on from e3. 

Just now, StuckinMS said:

Powder? Which one have you settled on?

I'm on prima SV. So far it looks promising. Seems to drop more consistent on my press. SD is around 10. I still need a little more to make major. I think 4.6gr will do it out of my 5" Atlas with a 180 gr Xtreme @1.180". Trying for 170 pf. It's cheaper and I think cleaner than e3. 

15 minutes ago, StuckinMS said:

Good to know.  I may order some of it also.  Does it feel any different in recoil?

I can't tell a difference. I'm getting about the same fps with 4.4 Prima SV as I am with 4.3 gr e3. 

I should say that Noble sport does have some batch differences. Or they did last year with prima v. I loaded 11lbs of prima v last year for 9mm minor and I had the slower batch. It was still great powder! My ammo was supper consistent! Clean and metered great. I think SV is gonna be just as good for 40 major. 

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got a rain free afternoon that I could chrono in.  Using 4.1 grains of E3 behind a 180 grain blue bullet loaded to 1.185".   Chrono says: 940,946,953,948,945,952,951 avg947.86  ran 3 strings with avg each within 3 fps.  Very satisfied! 

New to reloading, second time out to chrono today.

3 ten round strings 1.185 OAL

Blue bullets 180 gr, 4.2 grains E3, 965 V ES 37, SD 10

Montana Gold 180 gr, 4.6 grains E3, 955 V,  ES 31, SD 12

My load consistency improved greatly over the first time out.   Need to redo my Precision Delta 180.  Have some different plated  bullets on the way.  The MG's are very accurate.