Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon shell plate issue

Don’t know if this was posted looked but I can’t find anything. Issue is on my 650. My shell plate is moving backwards when it hits that halfway point going up and the index ball grabs plate to turn. When you here it snap when handle is half way down the shell plate moves backward a little bit and makes my case move out a little and when the shell plate reaches tool head the case hits the sizer die and jams cause that little pop halfway up moves it back very little. Any ideas. Would that alignment tool Dillon has fix this. Gonna call Dillon Monday but it really sucks cause every other round hits the sizer die and I have to push it in s little to go in. 

42 minutes ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

Don’t know if this was posted looked but I can’t find anything. Issue is on my 650. My shell plate is moving backwards when it hits that halfway point going up and the index ball grabs plate to turn. When you here it snap when handle is half way down the shell plate moves backward a little bit and makes my case move out a little and when the shell plate reaches tool head the case hits the sizer die and jams cause that little pop halfway up moves it back very little. Any ideas. Would that alignment tool Dillon has fix this. Gonna call Dillon Monday but it really sucks cause every other round hits the sizer die and I have to push it in s little to go in. 

Tighten the plate until it just barely moves freely by hand.

36 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Tighten the plate until it just barely moves freely by hand.

I tried that sarge still has that little kick in it and moves case out a little. It helped but still does it. More info. When I push to prime the shell plate is centered with the primer punch. But when I go to raise the ram you can see the shell plate move backward a little and the shell plate is not centered anymore it’s more towards the sizer die more. If I could upload a pic I would but think if the horse shoe shape of plate around primer punch when it starts going up it moves backwards a little and the horse shoe is more to the rear and the side facing the powder die way is flush with the side of the primer punch. It’s no ring back that little bit when I start raising ram. 

There are two separate adjustments on the XL650. You can adjust the indexer block, #16776, to line the shellplate over the primer. Also, you can use a platform alignment tool to line up the platform with the dies. Contact us, we can send you the appropriate alignment tools for both. You want to align the platform first. Then, if necessary, adjust the indexer block. If you email us, please include your address.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not happy about this but can’t do nothing about it. Alignment tool or index tool did nothing to help. Less than 10,000 rds loaded on this press and to get alignment tool to work like directions say it cause the case feed arm to jam the silver sleeve where cases drop out of also makes the arm rub the cam follower. By aligning it to the tool it binds to other things bind all up that didn’t before. Always had a couple issues when I first bought press but I guess it was something more than just thinking it was me. If I New it was off this bad would’ve sent it back sooner because that’s what I have to do after talking with Dillon today. Hopefully when it comes back I won’t have any issues anymore but not to happy to have to do this knowing the alignment tool would cause more issues. Hope it doesn’t take to long to get it back but it’s kibda sucks knowing the press wasn’t right for awhile. 

Anybody send their 650 back how long did it take to get it back. And was the issues fixed with no other problems when press was back. My press is basically brand new still so it’s kinda upsetting that’s it’s gotta go back. From what I got from Dillon it’s a serious issue now  

I know you are frustrated.  However, Dillon owns their problems, they do not point fingers.

I sent one press back to be reconditioned and it came back like new, all obsolete parts were replaced.

My other 550 that I got from the estate of a good friend was in very bad shape.  

Springs stretched out, parts were bent, powder measure was the old obsolete type.

I go on YouTube and figure out that this is easy, I can do this.

I call them up and give them my list, they sent me everything I asked for except for the powder measure that I have to send it so they can replace it.

It took me 4 hours watching the videos and taking my time to rebuild my press.

I now have three working Dillons.  They support their equipment like no other company I ever dealt with.

1 hour ago, Currently said:

I know you are frustrated.  However, Dillon owns their problems, they do not point fingers.

I sent one press back to be reconditioned and it came back like new, all obsolete parts were replaced.

My other 550 that I got from the estate of a good friend was in very bad shape.  

Springs stretched out, parts were bent, powder measure was the old obsolete type.

I go on YouTube and figure out that this is easy, I can do this.

I call them up and give them my list, they sent me everything I asked for except for the powder measure that I have to send it so they can replace it.

It took me 4 hours watching the videos and taking my time to rebuild my press.

I now have three working Dillons.  They support their equipment like no other company I ever dealt with.

Good to hear. Thanks. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Press back home today. Just opened box and it’s basically a brand new press only thing not new on it is the frame. I would think that when they got it they just stripped it to the frame and replaced all the parts instead of messing around with it. Looks awesome. Didn’t know what to expect I’ve fever sent a whole press back before only needed parts here and there. Hopefully I’ll have it all back together tomorrow. I will say Dillon is a awesome company because I guess they could’ve just changed certain parts but to replace whole press WOW. Even parts that wasn’t an issue were changed only blue frame is mine from before. Thanks Gary at Dillon for taking care of press for me. Customer 4 life here. ??

Edited by Dirtchevy841

10 hours ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

Press back home today. Just opened box and it’s basically a brand new press only thing not new on it is the frame. I would think that when they got it they just stripped it to the frame and replaced all the parts instead of messing around with it. Looks awesome. Didn’t know what to expect I’ve fever sent a whole press back before only needed parts here and there. Hopefully I’ll have it all back together tomorrow. I will say Dillon is a awesome company because I guess they could’ve just changed certain parts but to replace whole press WOW. Even parts that wasn’t an issue were changed only blue frame is mine from before. Thanks Gary at Dillon for taking care of press for me. Customer 4 life here. ??

Even though I've never had to have this extend of service from Dillon, and don't expect to, just that fact that these stories are out there make you know what to expect should you ever need this level of customer service.  I even read about one owner of a 550, whose press went through a garage fire, and Dillon replaced it for free!  Amazing company.  And while other press companies now offer 'lifetime' warranties, they only do so because Dillon drove them to do so. 

This is one Kool-Aid I'll gladly drink and support.

1 hour ago, Tom S. said:

Even though I've never had to have this extend of service from Dillon, and don't expect to, just that fact that these stories are out there make you know what to expect should you ever need this level of customer service.  I even read about one owner of a 550, whose press went through a garage fire, and Dillon replaced it for free!  Amazing company.  And while other press companies now offer 'lifetime' warranties, they only do so because Dillon drove them to do so. 

This is one Kool-Aid I'll gladly drink and support.

??

All back together. Realigned dies again looks like a new press. Ran some test dummy rounds 100% so far. Gonna try to reload some tomorrow that will be the final word. When I was putting everything back on it I first tried the alignment tool and on first crank worked like a charm. Member asked what the turnaround time was it was about 2 weeks. Awesome service and it’s looks like it’s ready to roll. 

• 1 month later...

Finally a chance to try the press since getting back from Dillon. Ran 1000 rds no issues and it’s smooth as goose shit ?. Gonna load about 3k this weekend. Dillon top notch came back better than new and runs like a top now. 

On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 9:53 PM, Dirtchevy841 said:

glad to hear all is good.  I didn't expect anything less than exceptional service from Dillon.  After all, that's why we bought Dillon in the first place. 

So much for the press working. A little after 2300 rds broken again. This is bullshit. Now it’s gotta go back again probably when I call and waste shipping money again. Warranty don’t mean shit if I gotta keep paying 75 bucks to ship it back. This is total bullshit. I am fn pissed off now. I know y’all gonna say they gonna fix it but this is bullshit. I am thinking I got the lemon at the dillon factory now. Nothing but issues with this fu%*#ng press since I got it. Not a happy blue customer right now.  This is ridiculous now. 

Edited by Dirtchevy841

Also my 650 I run my rifle stuff on never one issue. Zero. More rounds than the broken one. That’s why I am saying it might be a lemon. This press nothing but issues and needs to be replaced at this point. I love my dillon stuff but this issue with this press needs to be resolved. 

3 hours ago, conditionone said:

What issue are you having?

What issues haven’t I had with this press. But the worse was about 2 months ago that’s when I had to send it back. Every other round was jamming into the sizer die. Dillon sent me the tool to realign the primer punch that didn’t work. Then they sent me the alignment tool for the platform and that didn’t work. I couldn’t even align the platform because the adjustment I needed to get it to work would jam the case feed arm into the silver nipple the case drop from. I had to turn the platform almost a 1/4 in to get it to align and that wasn’t right so dillon wanted it back. They pretty much changed everything except the frame. Well yesterday for the first time reloading since I got it back it was running fine til around 1000 rds and I felt it getting some resistance one the down stroke and then the cases started to hit the sizer die again but not many jams and then the ring indexer blew apart. Took apart realigned the platform which in turn almost went back to previous but it made it by a little. Started loading again and popped 2 e clips on the sizer die because cases started hitting and some jamming the die. Then the finaly, cases started jamming again and then the platform jammed and stop mid stroke wouldn’t budge couldn’t move handle couldn’t get cases off shell plate so I had to literally go slow and force handle foward to get ram down and ring indexer blew apart again and also case feed arm was jammed. I have no clue what’s wrong with this damn press. I have 2 other dillons a 650 and 550 over ten years old with not one issue. But this press is crap. I think it’s a lemon. Dillon has great stuff but sometimes there’s bad ones everywhere. I am hoping they switched it out cause I tired of messing with this press and I shouldn’t have to anymore. It’s beyond fixing now. Sorry to be so long winded but it’s just ridiculous having to do so much to get this press to run right. 

I had the same problem. Every other case mouth would contact the sizing die. My problem started when I replaced the case insert slide. The new slide is made of a different material, it's more like fiberglass. What I found was that the slide was hitting the ejector wire. I had a new wire so I replaced it. Same issue. When moving the slide in and out I could see it wasn't going all the way towards the shell plate, hitting the wire. I removed the slide and filed a bevel on the inside so it will not contact the wire. 3000 rounds later, not one damaged case mouth.

Not sure this is your problem, but worth looking at.

Since you already have one thread where you are talking about issues with this press I am closing this one.  We do allow you to work through problems with your equipment by seeking advice and help but one thread is enough.