Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why is my bolt sticking in my AR15?

nikdanja

I have a WOA barrel with a low mass BCG from AIM surplus.  

When the rifle is clean and stored away and I come back to it days/weeks later I can cycle the bolt with ease. 

When its dirty, the bolt sticks almost like it’s glued to the inside of the barrel until I force it open. The first couple times it happened I thought it was odd cause I only put a couple hundred rounds thru it and didn’t think it was to dirty. I did it just now after only shooting 50 rounds since the last cleaning and now it’s something internally.

Once again, it doesn’t do this when the rifle is completely clean.

Ive always shot my hand loads which I don’t think are any more dirty than good factory ammo.  I’m using CFE 223 and 748 pushing a 55gr bullet just under 3000fps. I’ve tuned the gas system and even when cleaning nothing looks abnormal on the bolt or from what I can see from the barrel. 

Any thoughts? 

Edited by nikdanja

19 minutes ago, Flatland Shooter said:

What lube are you using?  Running it wet or dry?  What's the temperature out when you are having problems.

The easiest and least expensive thing to try is a different lube and run the bolt wet.

I use ballistol and run it very wet. When I go to put it back in the safe it only had 50 rounds thru it. 

Temp. In the room where my safe is around 70 degrees. 

Tough to diagnose without looking at it. 

How many rounds on bolt/barrel combination?  

Any unusual visible shiny marks on bolt, esp back of locking lugs? On bolt body?

Does it bind when hand cycling? With and without dummy rounds?

Is headspace measurement in tolerance?