Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting started

triplesinglestack

Been shooting uspsa for many years,  like to get into revolver,  looking at the 929,  but not sure what the popular holster,moon clips and pouches are? What is the popular rig set up?I spent half the day reading in the revolver forum as well as the gear accessories section and could not find any info. Thanks for any help. 

Jason

Best moon clip holder is from Moon Mountain.  Very secure.  For a speed holster look at Hogue, CR Speed. Double Alpha etc.  Blade Tech makes a fine Kydex holster that retains the gun very well.  It's not as open in the front but I like mine a lot.  I think Revolver Supply Co. has what you want and has some nice dump bags for when you are done shooting and want a place to put your used magazines.  For Ammo boxes go to your friendly sporting goods store and by Plano boxes for fishing.  You can get them big enough to hole 24 moons.  

I went with Speed Beez for holster and moon clip caddies.

Speed Beez S&W 929 6.5 Inch Tactical Revolver Holster
https://www.speedbeez.com/product/speed-beez-sw-929-6-5-inch-tactical-revolver-holster-outside-waist-band-fits-smith-wesson-6-6-5-inch-n-frame-uspsa-legal-speed-rig/

Moon Clip Belt Rack 8 Post 
https://www.speedbeez.com/product/tek-lok-627-moon-clip-belt-rack-8-post-fits-smith-and-wesson-627-929-9mm-2/

BMT Mooners are amazing and totally worth it.
http://www.bmtequipped.com/products.php

Good luck with your new revolver!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

DAA Holster

DAA or Shooters Connection belt

Revo Supply Extreme ( for 929) Moon  clips work great for me, lots of folks at huge fans of TK clips

Several Moon clip racks available I've got an 8 post one that I keep going back to after trying other types

IMO

I am by no means a Tour de Force in this game. I currently have (2) 929s put into service a year apart. One is Iron sight the other optical for ICORE and Steel Challenge. Both of them were set up by Pinnacle High Performance. These gunz are not competition ready out of the box.

On the topic of moon clips, my iron sight gun is a lot more forgiving with respect to moons, will function fine with Revolver Supply Company .035 spring steel clips which are quite affordable. On that gun I can use Federal or Blazer brass no problem just need Federal primers seated below flush.

The optic gun, which I have named "The Valley Girl" is high maintenance, picky and never fully on-board with the task at hand. That gun I have settled on Revolver Supply extreme .040 moons and Winchester brass. Some of those moons when loaded are a bit tight in my iron sight revo. So for now I'm using two moon/brass set ups. Until I get a little more time to figure out what is going on I'm going to maintain things this way.

For the holster I use the DAA Race Master. Love that holster just keep your nuts tight and give it a shot of silicon spray once in a while. I complete my ensemble with DAA Premium belt and the DAA magnetic moon clip holders. If you use TK or DAA moon clips you will probably need the optional extra strength magnets for the holders. The Revo Supply .040 moons are borderline with the magnets because the plating takes away some of the magnetic attraction. This tackle meets the OP criteria of a popular set up.

As another poster fcrsocial has mentioned get the BMT mooner tool. It takes a little time to get good at this with rimless ammo but save yourself a lot of grief and just get it from the start. You still might want to have a regular demooner tool handy but get the BMT. One of the reasons why I have stayed with Revolver Supply moons is because with other makes you use the BMT mooner as is but with Revolver Supply you need an optional magnetic insert and I just don't want to be taking off and putting back on the insert due to having a mix of moon clips. I will lose it (the insert) for sure some day at a match so I keep it on and use RS moons. Besides RS has worked very hard to satisfy me as a customer, (not that other supplers haven't).

There is, as I'm sure you know, a lot of chatter here on this gun. Pros and Cons but overall I'm personally happy with both of mine. It will be a long time before I shoot to the guns potential. You haven't asked about ammo but assuming one of the reasons your thinking about this gun is to keep your ammo supply simple. With some brass such as federal I find that using an EGW undersize die beneficial to gain a little more mouth tension especially with light bullets, I have had bullets move forward before it was their time to shoot but thankfully haven't found out what would happened if I pulled the trigger. It seems that Winchester brass is a tad thicker so it appears that there is enough case mouth tension. I use Bayou 38 (.358) coated bullets they are a little more accurate than 9mm (.357 is what the Bayou measure for me). I have seen guys shoot factory 9mm fmj with good results but if you have trigger work done forget that. If you use anything other than jacketed either take the muzzle cap off or have it reamed out because it will get a lead build up.

Edited by firewood

On 2/24/2018 at 9:00 PM, fcrsocial said:

BMT Mooners are amazing and totally worth it.
http://www.bmtequipped.com/products.php

I can't get mine to work. The cartridges get stuck halfway and then fall over because they're so topheavy. For unloading it's amazing, but for loading it doesn't even seat the cartridges all the way and I've gotta go back over them with my TK loader. And that's only when it doesn't jam up when the bullets fall over and I've gotta unload the tray and try again.

I'm not a fan of the blade tech holster at all, it puts the gun at a weird angle. Maybe if you modified it to keep the muzzle from not pointing at your leg, and then set up some sort of spacer where you could cant the holster a bit more. Right now I'm using the DAA Alpha X but it's almost prohibitively expensive.

Running a Speed E Rack moonclip magnetic holder, so far so good.

TK .040 moon clips with Blazer brass, but I bought a bunch of Winchester to try and some of that fits, but it's really tight.

Blue Bullets 150gr (they call them 147) over 3.0-3.1gr Bullseye, 1.140-1.150 OAL, with smushed Federal primers.

George at Revolver Supply has everything you might or would need for getting you started with your 929 except maybe a holster and belt.  I run a Double Alpha holster and CR Speed belt and everything else I've gotten from RS...they have been GREAT !!!

I can't get mine to work. The cartridges get stuck halfway and then fall over because they're so topheavy. For unloading it's amazing, but for loading it doesn't even seat the cartridges all the way and I've gotta go back over them with my TK loader. And that's only when it doesn't jam up when the bullets fall over and I've gotta unload the tray and try again.

I'm not a fan of the blade tech holster at all, it puts the gun at a weird angle. Maybe if you modified it to keep the muzzle from not pointing at your leg, and then set up some sort of spacer where you could cant the holster a bit more. Right now I'm using the DAA Alpha X but it's almost prohibitively expensive.

Running a Speed E Rack moonclip magnetic holder, so far so good.

TK .040 moon clips with Blazer brass, but I bought a bunch of Winchester to try and some of that fits, but it's really tight.

Blue Bullets 150gr (they call them 147) over 3.0-3.1gr Bullseye, 1.140-1.150 OAL, with smushed Federal primers.
Mine also fall if I angle the ramp to far. I use the index finger to keep the stack moving as the other hand rotates the top locking the brass into the moons. Mine usually cooperates no pretty well.

Good luck!

2 minutes ago, fcrsocial said:

Mine also fall if I angle the ramp to far. I use the index finger to keep the stack moving as the other hand rotates the top locking the brass into the moons. Mine usually cooperates no pretty well.

Good luck!

Thanks. I'm thinking about taking a file to the inside of the walls so the rounds don't stick/get hung up, and then drilling a hole and making some kind of spring operated plunger to keep the rounds moving. I've tried every different angle but I think the one I have is just out of spec.

Thanks. I'm thinking about taking a file to the inside of the walls so the rounds don't stick/get hung up, and then drilling a hole and making some kind of spring operated plunger to keep the rounds moving. I've tried every different angle but I think the one I have is just out of spec.
Aww man. Sorry it's not working super great. I hate having to fight gear designed to make life easier.

11 hours ago, swordfish said:

I have one of the BMT mooners for loading moonclips for my 646 and had some difficulty getting the 40 S&W cartridges to stay upright while sliding down the chute . I found that I could squeeze the outside of the chute to slow up the slide down the chute and use my thumb inside the back of the chute( behind the row of cartridges) to spread the walls slightly to speed up the slide down . Tilting it to the right degree of angle , squeezing when needed and spreading with my thumb when needed I've got it working pretty slick right now . I have noticed that when it is close to freezing temps this method doesn't work as well as warmer temps . You may well have a BMT out of spec but try this and see if it helps .

8 minutes ago, triplesinglestack said:

Ohh I have one of those for my limited gun, can I get a different block for the revo?

Yes, the "S&W 625 " block will hold both the 929/627 ( or any other N Frame smith )

And the race master will hold the 617, sort of. 

It won't drop it with the lock on, but I wouldn't walk around with it unless you invest in a K/L block as well.