Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Power pistol

nighttrain

52 minutes ago, IDescribe said:

Nighttrain, what are you trying to do with this load?  What will it be used for?   I can't personally think of anything I would want to do with 9mm where 165gr and Power Pistol would be simultaneously appropriate.

Im planning on using these for shooting in uspsa , production.

Nighttrain, people use 165gr bullets for 9mm minor for a recoil advantage.  It sort of defeats the purpose if you use a slow burning powder with it.  Slower powders require more powder to reach the same velocity, and more powder for the same velocity equals greater recoil. Power Pistol is not a common powder for 9mm minor for the exact reason.  It burns too slow to be a good choice for 9mm minor.  Power pistol is also one of those powders that works best near or at max loads, which you won't be at.  And it's excessively noisy and flashy.  It's just not a powder well-suited to 9mm minor.  You can DO it, of course.  I just can't imagine why anyone would want to.

I run xtreme 165's.

The thing you need to be careful with is case volume, with 165's there is not much case volume left.

Never used power pistol, so depending on how much powder it takes it may not have enough room.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, 223to45 said:

I run xtreme 165's.

The thing you need to be careful with is case volume, with 165's there is not much case volume left.

Never used power pistol, so depending on how much powder it takes it may not have enough room.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

There is room for it, hence the data at the posted link.

Nighttrain, I have not loaded 165, however a 147 FP ibeji coated bullet, 3.9 PP 1.130 oal runs 910 fps 22es/9sd  temp 76 out of 5" R/O accurate and soft shooting. I prefer this combo to tight group. Power Pistol is a very versatile powder, check out Hornadays 9th edition reloading manuel ( 9mm section). I read the link above from S/T seems to be pretty accurate info. At the end of the day its your personal preference or perception of how the load works for you, experimenting is the beauty of reloading (safely of course) have fun with it..

I've used Power Pistol in my 929 with a .358 160 grain bullet (Black bullets and Bayou's) with good success.  3.8 grains seated to 1.160 oal gives me a 130.5 pf.  I'm using that same powder charge in my XDM 5.25 with a .356 147 grain bullet seated at 1.140 oal and getting a 129 pf.  I've found Power Pistol to be very versatile and accurate in 38 short colt....9 mm and 45 acp.  There maybe better powders for reduced recoil...less noise and flash and a multitude of other reasons but I have a bunch of it that needs to be shot up and it works pretty good for me.