Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So 1911 9mm Single Stacks...

Blksheep

6 hours ago, RJH said:

Many times the ROs are fitted better than the loaded guns.  If you go with a loaded, make sure that the serial number starts with NM, that lets you know it was fitted in the US and will generally be fitted better.  I think all the RO guns are fitted in the US, but can't guarantee that

Well that's interesting. You would think the lower price point would miss out on the hand fit in the US.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had a Sig Tacops in 45 for about 8 years.  The only thing I've had to do to it was recut the hammer hooks after 40,000 rounds and change recoil springs.  The hammer is acting up again (MIM), so I'll just replace it.  I put a True Radius on the sear nose the last time, so it will be a drop in.

The only problem with the Tacops or the Max is they use a non-standard shape for the slide.  That requires you use a Sig holster, or one of the custom ones designed for that slide configuration.  The slide is wider and won't work with holsters for standard 1911s.

Edited by zzt

5 minutes ago, zzt said:

I've had a Sig Tacops in 45 for about 8 years.  The only thing I've had to do to it was recut the hammer hooks after 40,000 rounds and change recoil springs.  The hammer is acting up again (MIM), so I'll just replace it.  I put a True Radius on the sear nose the last time, so it will be a drop in.

The only problem with the Tacops or the Max is they use a non-standard shape for the slide.  That requires you use a Sig holster, or one of the custom ones designed for that slide configuration.  The slide is wider and won't work with holsters for standard 1911s.

The 9mm tacops has the tradition slide shape not the square sig slide.  So you can use any 1911 rail gun holster. 

I believe the 45 is still being produced with the square slide.    I was nervous ordering my 9mm due to the sig website saying the 9mm and 45 has the same weight. 41.9oz I believe.  I figured the sig website had the weight wrong and I would get this gun and it would be to heavy for idpa. Luckily the guy I ordered it from (Ellis County Firearms) was nice enough to weigh it. Sig said they weigh the same because the slides are cut differently. 

I own a Springfield RO, STI Trojan, and DW PM9.  All in 9mm.  I prefer the PM9 over the other two. And i prefer the RO over the Trojan. The Trojan just seems a little "sloppy" on fit vs the other two.  But it's hard to beat the RO on price point.  You get a well fit gun for the money.

I have an RO and STI USPSA in 9mm and 2 Trojans in 40. The RO is a nice piece for the money although I've had to tinker with it to get it run (new extractor, polish the feed ramp, etc.). My Trojans have run great from day one. A buddy of mine has the Sig match in 40 and it runs like a top. If I wanted a new 9mm I would look at the Sig or the S&W. I think the external extractor is a good idea in 9mm. Just my two cents.

Consider the Dan Wesson PM9. Slide to frame, barrel to frame fit is excellent. No MIM parts. Nicest short of a custom.

I have one and totally agree!
Extremely smooth and accurate.
My USPSA buddies drool over it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw only one other vote for the Colt Competition. I bought one a couple months ago and love it. You get a great quality pistol for the price. It has definitely made me a lover of 9mm 1911s. It probably won’t be my last.

I use it for IDPA matches and changed out a few parts such as putting in an extended magazine release, but it is competition ready out of the box.

Good luck on your choice.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One more for the RO Elite Target. I picked it up a couple weeks ago and it’s gone probly 600 rounds without a malfunction. And that’s using 38 Super mags with factory 9mm ammo. Trigger was decent out of the box but I figure we’re all going to tinker with the trigger so that doesn’t really make a difference in my mind. The one thing I’m not happy with is the finish. About 5 days worth of dry fire and there was holster wear up front on the slide. But again for the price point I’d definitely recommend it!

When the Trojan was 1200 bucks it was hands down the best bang for the buck you could get in a 1911 and easily competed with pistols that were 100's more. When they upped the price to 1500 and then later discontinued it I think it lost some overall value. At that point I'd just spend 1600 and get the DW PM9 which has a beautiful hard chrome finish right out of the box.

That being said, I have a Trojan and absolutely love it. You could probably find a low round count used one at your price point and I think it's a better built pistol out of the box than the Springfield.

I've never handled one or know much about them, but I've always had a thing for the Colt Competitons.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I had that chance to shoot a Colt Competition 9mm a few weeks ago and it is off to Colt for repair. After two or three mags of Winchester White Box 115 factory rounds ejection was all over including between the eyes. Looking at the ejector it is plainly bent to the opposite side of the ejection port and down. This is a brand spanking new gun,(not mine) cleaned up and first trip to the range. All and all, while the Colt worked, what nice shooter, I am really hoping for the best, my friend was pretty broken up buying his first Colt and first 1911 to get one that didn't shoot out of the box. Guess we will see what happens next, it was sent out a week ago.

On 2/23/2018 at 11:38 AM, Blksheep said:

Im a Glock guy.  I have dozens of em.  Bare bones, to more than they should cost ones.  But Im looking to dive into the 1911 9mm SS.  Im looking at the Range Officer, Rock Island and Colt Competition.  

Who recommends what and why.

I went with the Springfield Target Loaded 9mm, which is very similar to the RO. Mainly because it is still on roster here in CA. Pretty happy with it and its a nice shooter. Cant compare it to RI and Colt because I havnt shot those 

DW PM -9 is the nicest 9mm pistol that isn't custom shop made.

They can be a little finicky with your handloads but can be worked out without doing any chamber reaming etc.

It just barely makes weight THOUGH

So Be VERY CAREFUL if you get a railed 9mm 1911 it most likely WILL NOT make weight

20 minutes ago, jcc7x7 said:

DW PM -9 is the nicest 9mm pistol that isn't custom shop made.

They can be a little finicky with your handloads but can be worked out without doing any chamber reaming etc.

It just barely makes weight THOUGH

So Be VERY CAREFUL if you get a railed 9mm 1911 it most likely WILL NOT make weight

#truth. Mine BARELY makes weight. Like so close if theres dead skin on the slides and grips i may not make it lol