Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So 1911 9mm Single Stacks...

Blksheep

Im a Glock guy.  I have dozens of em.  Bare bones, to more than they should cost ones.  But Im looking to dive into the 1911 9mm SS.  Im looking at the Range Officer, Rock Island and Colt Competition.  

Who recommends what and why.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The RO should work just fine out of the box.  I have had  few rock islands, and while they work, fitment kinda sucks to the point I probably wont buy another.  The colts seem ok, but I haven't shot one.  The RO really seems to be a lot for the money, and if I wanted something pretty nice for not a lot I would start there.  The Dan Wessons, STIs, etc are better but a considerable jump in price.  I have a Trojan now and really like it

I got the Colt Competition series 80. I see they are now offered in series 70. Main reason for me going with the Colt was the undercut of the grip and trigger guard. I don’t care for the Novak style rear sight but it works. Didn’t put too much money in the gun and got rid of the series 80 parts. Extended firing pin, Dawson mag well, full length guide rod, 11lb recoil spring, 17lb main spring, aluminum shock buff, grip tape on front strap is all I addeand tweaked the sear spring. Works fine for a fun gun. 

Wanted a STI DVC Classic but too expensive for me as a play gun. 

Other one I would consider is the SA Range Officer as I like the rear sight. 

22 minutes ago, JackinSD said:

I have a pair of Rock Island SS 9mm and love them.  Hands are starting to have a lot of arthritis and I am going to sell them soon.  Give me a shout if you decide to go with Rock Island.

PM Sent.  Interested.

I recently shot the Rock Island double stack 9mm (a bit different I know) and I was very impressed!

All stock.  The trigger was decent and the fit and finish were very good.

Ultimately I went with a DVC, but I really was impressed.

A buddy has the RO and it's very nice.  A tiny bit of cleanup and it feels and shoots fantastic.

Of the three you mention, the RO is the only logical choice.  You get a forged frame and slide that is well fit.  You also get a very accurate barrel that is also well fit.  Most of the rest of the parts are MIM, but the last a long time.  You can replace them with billet or bar stock parts later, after 20-30,000 rounds.  The trigger will suck when new.  After about 400 rounds it will smooth out.  If you want a lighter, crisper trigger pull, replace the ILS system in the Main Spring Housing with standard parts.  Cost- about $15.  You could go to an SA Loaded for a touch more money, or a Dan Wesson for a lot more.

1 hour ago, zzt said:

Of the three you mention, the RO is the only logical choice.  You get a forged frame and slide that is well fit.  You also get a very accurate barrel that is also well fit.  Most of the rest of the parts are MIM, but the last a long time.  You can replace them with billet or bar stock parts later, after 20-30,000 rounds.  The trigger will suck when new.  After about 400 rounds it will smooth out.  If you want a lighter, crisper trigger pull, replace the ILS system in the Main Spring Housing with standard parts.  Cost- about $15.  You could go to an SA Loaded for a touch more money, or a Dan Wesson for a lot more.

New SA’s no longer have the ILS. 

So what I'm reading is the The RO target elite is a good buy. Saving up funds for one and have been trying to figure if saving a little more for the loaded would be worth the extra money.

Edited by floater

3 hours ago, floater said:

So what I'm reading is the The RO target elite is a good buy. Saving up funds for one and have been trying to figure if saving a little more for the loaded would be worth the extra money.

Many times the ROs are fitted better than the loaded guns.  If you go with a loaded, make sure that the serial number starts with NM, that lets you know it was fitted in the US and will generally be fitted better.  I think all the RO guns are fitted in the US, but can't guarantee that

5 hours ago, floater said:

Here is one opinion.  https://loadoutroom.com/thearmsguide/springfield-armory-1911-a1-loaded-vs-range-officer/ 

My take is the RO comes with a well fitted match grade barrel and a good frame and slide.  Those are the three most important parts of the pistol.  Every single one I've handled was well made.  If you don't like the aesthetics, call the SA custom shop.  They do good work for not a lot of money.

I build my own 1911s, so I know the three most time consuming, pain-in-the-ass, boring things to do are fitting slide to frame and then fitting the barrel (ALL BY HAND).  That is already done for you on the RO.  When the internal parts eventually wear or break, replacing most of them is easy.  Buy an EGW bar stock slide stop.  If the hammer hooks go, buy an EGW extra light or Keonig hammer.  These parts should drop right in.  Hardened sears last seemingly forever.  If you break a thumb safety or grip safety, the new ones will have to be fit.  That's about it, except for changing springs every now and then.

The RO Elite is an even better deal.

Edited by zzt

3 hours ago, zzt said:

Here is one opinion.  https://loadoutroom.com/thearmsguide/springfield-armory-1911-a1-loaded-vs-range-officer/ 

My take is the RO comes with a well fitted match grade barrel and a good frame and slide.  Those are the three most important parts of the pistol.  Every single one I've handled was well made.  If you don't like the aesthetics, call the SA custom shop.  They do good work for not a lot of money.

I build my own 1911s, so I know the three most time consuming, pain-in-the-ass, boring things to do are fitting slide to frame and then fitting the barrel (ALL BY HAND).  That is already done for you on the RO.  When the internal parts eventually wear or break, replacing most of them is easy.  Buy an EGW bar stock slide stop.  If the hammer hooks go, buy an EGW extra light or Keonig hammer.  These parts should drop right in.  Hardened sears last seemingly forever.  If you break a thumb safety or grip safety, the new ones will have to be fit.  That's about it, except for changing springs every now and then.

The RO Elite is an even better deal.

Thank you for your reply. The only reason I was even thinking of the "loaded" was to match an  early 2000's 45.  It has been fantastic.