Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 34 + Titegroup + what bullet?

LeviSS

I've got a Gen5 34 on the way and I'm wanting to get a few bullets lined up to test.

I'd probably prefer coated 147s, but am willing to try others...plated, fmj, 124gr, etc.

What bullets do you guys find to be accurate through a Glock with Titegroup?

Edited by LeviSS

I’ve shot a bunch of different brands / types of bullets over TG. I always prefer more shooting for less money so lots of coated bullets (blue, black, acme, sns, bayou). Blue bullets has been by far the least smoke of the coated options. Plated bullets seemed about the same as blue or maybe a little less smoke. Same with JHPs. If money were no object I’d shoot JHPs all day long. But because it is I’m currently shooting blue bullets and xtreme plated (great deals around Black Friday). I went with 124/125gr mainly to get more bullets per dollar. Never really noticed any big difference between 124s and heavier 147s.

My experience is coated smoke some, nothing like lubed lead, and loads at PF floor make a lot of powders burn a little dirty so it might not be the bullet.

Bullets, 135gr RN coated have given me the best accuracy from my Glocks. That's casting my own but I suspect commercial should do as well.

Several commerial 147s seemed to perform best a little hotter somewhat negating the "soft" recoil.

Coated 125s and plated 124s both RN delivered < 4" with no load development at all. 

147 Blues round or flat work for me in a gen 4 34, don't notice much for smoke. I'm running 3.1grs of tight group. make sure you plunk test, the one gen 5 I've looked at wouldn't chamber the same seating depth as the gen 4, needed to be shorter.

Edited by floater

I have been using 3.2 of titegroup with a Zero 147gr JHP head and am very happy with the results.  One word of "caution", I had to do a bit of testing to find the sweet spot of the powder charge and seating depth.  I started with a load that worked great in a Sig 226 and a G17, which was 3.5 with the same head seated to 1.107.  That load shot ok but found a better sweet spot for the 34.

On 2/24/2018 at 4:14 PM, galt11 said:

I have been using 3.2 of titegroup with a Zero 147gr JHP head and am very happy with the results.  One word of "caution", I had to do a bit of testing to find the sweet spot of the powder charge and seating depth.  I started with a load that worked great in a Sig 226 and a G17, which was 3.5 with the same head seated to 1.107.  That load shot ok but found a better sweet spot for the 34.

I'm kinda having the same issue.  I'm borrowing my dad's G17 while I wait for my 34 and my old CZ loads, 147gr Blue Bullet fp, Titegroup, set at 1.115 doesn't shoot worth a damn through the 17.  It's not worth playing with because my 34 should arrive soon, but it does worry me that I'm gonna have to do a lot of load development.

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 5:26 PM, lgh said:

I shoot 147 bayou over TG. No smoke issues and much of the year it is indoor shooting. TG isn't clean like VV powders but the dirt seems to be largely carbon black, a blood relative of graphite.

Bayou RN or FP shoot without any noticeable smoke with TG or any other powder I've used in my 34.

2-21/2" groups at 25 off bags with factory bbl.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2018 at 5:14 PM, galt11 said:

I too am running Zero 147 JHP but only as my ‘match load’. For practice I take what I can get fairly cheap but at a minimum I use plated. I just loaded a bunch of 124 X-Treme and some RMR 147 RNFP plated bullets for practice. I find the JHPs group a tad more consistent. 

Started with a G34 gen 3 and I’m now shooting a CZ but I don’t know that it makes a difference. 

Edited by Sdlrodeo

I shoot 147s from Blue Bullets. Never had any issues with titegroup. Although, I just made the switch to Alliant Sport Pistol. A lot of people on the forum has compared it to N320, and I've never used it, but Its a smooth powder that meters well in my 550 and I don't notice very much smoke at all! it pretty much follows the same charge as TG, Im using 3.2gr.

Here's what I use...

Gun:  Glock 34 Gen 3 (Factory Barrel)
Bullet:  Precision Delta 124 gr. JHP
Powder:  Hodgdon Titegroup 4.0 grs 
Primer:  CCI-500
Case:  Federal
LOAL:  1.113 – 1.114 (.843 Base to Ogive with Stoney Point)
Average Velocity:  1080.62 fps  
ES:  52.65
SD:  15.42
PF:  133
Recoil Spring:  ISMI 13 lb. recoil spring and Jager Polymer Guide Rod.

This one uses Power Pistol but it's very accurate and mild.  Nope, not flashy at all.

Gun:  Glock 17L Gen 3 (Lone Wolf Barrel) 
Bullet:  Bullet Works 147 gr. Plated RN
Powder:  Alliant Power Pistol 4.3 grs.
Primer:  Federal 100
LOAL:  1.145
Average Velocity:  916.41 fps  
ES:  30.58
SD:  10.04

Gun:  Glock 34 Gen 3 (Factory Barrel)
Bullet:  X-Treme 147 gr. RN
Powder:  Alliant Power Pistol 4.3 grs.
Primer:  Federal 100
LOAL:  1.145
Recoil Spring:  ISMI 15 lb. recoil spring and Jager Polymer Guide Rod.

Edited by pbcaster45
More info

I had been running tg with sns, but had leading issues in 3 guns...my .40 Trojan, my glock 20 with .40 like wolf barrel, using 200gr sns...and my g34 using 135gr Rn's.  I could see noticeable lead in the last inch or so of barrel after only a couple hundred rounds. I don't think it ever affected function or accuracy, but I didn't like it. Folks have said it's the heat from the tg, and others claim to shoot sns over tg with no issue. I don't know. 

Now I shoot frontier plated in everything. 200 gr rnfp in the .40's, and 135 or 147 rn in the 9. 

Toby J

19 hours ago, TobyJ said:

I had been running tg with sns, but had leading issues in 3 guns...my .40 Trojan, my glock 20 with .40 like wolf barrel, using 200gr sns...and my g34 using 135gr Rn's.  I could see noticeable lead in the last inch or so of barrel after only a couple hundred rounds. I don't think it ever affected function or accuracy, but I didn't like it. Folks have said it's the heat from the tg, and others claim to shoot sns over tg with no issue. I don't know. 

I wonder, is it something about SNS or titegroup's hot burn?  I thought it was supposed to be fine for hi-tek coated bullets.  I've never tried SNS and only used a little titegroup.  One of the guys at the local IDPA club told me he had leading issues with SNS...not sure which gun or powder he was using at the time, but titegroup wouldn't surprise me.  He switched to ACME (which I've also never tried) and he loves them.