Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Most versatile revolver for multiple orgs/divisions?

TFin04

Long story short, I got paid for some work in the form of 12,000 rounds of 9mm ammo (S&B 115gr FMJ) and I'd like to get back into wheelgunning this year. I'm thinking about buying a 9mm revolver (929) but from a cursory search it seems they really only fit into USPSA and ICORE. I'm wondering if I'm better off to sell/trade some of this ammo for a 357/38 or 45ACP gun to allow me to shoot more matches. 

I have regular USPSA and IDPA matches near me, ICORE is a bit of a hike but I could probably make one or two this year. Looking for opinions on these questions:

1. Does the 929 like factory 115 FMJ ammo? I realize it's probably over power factor for what I need but it was basically free and it's on my shelf. I don't expect to be very competitive with a new gun, just trying to get out and shoot more. 

2. Seems to be able to shoot IDPA I need a 6 round gun, but a non moon-clipped gun is going to be a disadvantage in USPSA. Does that only leave the 625 as a do-both gun? I know the 625 is out of flavor due to 8 round guns these days. 

I'm thinking about just buying the 929 optimized for what I'm most likely to shoot, and if I truly want to shoot IDPA my G17 is fine for that. 

Opinions? What am I missing? 

I do the same. 929 for uspsa, icore, steel. G34 for idpa. The 625 is a HUGE disadvantage in uspsa. And it's not as fun as the 8 minor guns. 

I can't comment on factory ammo in a 929. If you want a really good trigger though, probably not. 

Pretty much any revolver with a nice trigger job is only going to work with Federal primers so that factory ammo is not going to work unless you settle for a less than great trigger job.  Someone will chime in, no doubt, stating that they use brand X primers and have a heavy, yet smooth, trigger and they are happy.  You have to decide which you would prefer.

For IDPA you want a 6 shot gun using either speedloaders or full moonclips.  For USPSA you want an 8 shot using full moonclips.  The 6 shot revolver is pretty much dead in USPSA.  Someone will, no doubt, chime in and say they love shooting a 6 shot gun in USPSA but you won't find a lot of people saying or doing that.

Your final idea sounds best if you are only going to have one revolver.  Get the 8 shot, I would get it in 38/357, for USPSA and ICORE and shoot that Glock in IDPA.  Keep that 12,000 rounds of S&B and use it in the Glock.

929 or 627 ( 8 shooter ) will be the most versatile, you'll have a hard time crossing over to IDPA with it though.

929/627 is good for:

USPSA Revolver division ( or production / limited / lim10 / open if you so desired ) 

ICORE Limited Division

ICORE Open Division

Steel Challenge ISR

Steel Challenge OSR

no reason over another, personal preference for me - i was all geared up with 627s and 38 caliber stuff before the 929s came out, so logistically it made more sense to stick with the 38s.

I'll always recommend a 929 for somebody coming into the revolver game fresh, its a great bang for the buck. ( 6 inch barrel, titanium cylinder is a great combo ) 

2 minutes ago, TFin04 said:

Why the 38 over 9mm?

If you read through the many threads covering the 9mm revolvers you'll find that a lot of people had/have problems getting one to run.  Some of that has been worked out but others still experience issues.  A lot of people think they are going to run the same bullets they shoot in their semi auto and while there will be a few who do you'll also find that for many a custom load that suits the revolver is a better chance.  And, as alecmec said, it's also personal choice.  I shoot 38 short colt in my 627 and am very happy doing so. 

Just do a search for 929 in this forum and you'll find lots of info to help inform your decision. 

I'm a bit further along in my revolver quest and I defer to the more experienced folks above. As suggested, there are many helpful threads in this forum. I started shooting ICORE last year with a 4 inch 6-shot 66 and caught the wheelgun bug. Right away I discovered that even in ICORE, 6 shot is a disadvantage. Technically, the stages are supposed to be 6 shot neutral but because only me and one other guy shoot classic at our match, many of stages favor 8. There's no way I'd shoot USPSA with a 6 shot. Since I shot 9mm in my USPSA production gun, I figured a 929 would be a great fit so I'm stocking all the same ammo. A couple roadblocks:

1. As mentioned above, to be competitive, you really need to tune the trigger. That's outside of my skillset. I have a gunsmith who can do a general revolver tune but competition tunes are a different animal.

2. Once it's tuned, it's going to be really picky on ammo. Federal primers are a necessity and they have to be seated just so. So factory ammo is out and I don't re-load.

3. Even if you didn't tune the trigger and ran factory ammo, there's an issue with bullet creep (hope I'm saying this right) as most factory ammo isn't crimped. The force of a revolver firing is strong enough that the remaining rounds in the cylinder can be jarred apart.

So, I've decided to hold off on a 929 until I get into reloading. Hope this helps.

8 minutes ago, Mcfoto said:

... Right away I discovered that even in ICORE, 6 shot is a disadvantage. Technically, the stages are supposed to be 6 shot neutral but because only me and one other guy shoot classic at our match, many of stages favor 8....

ICORE dropped 6 round neutrality and changed up a few equipment rules a couple of years ago.  That doesn't mean there aren't some holdouts that still setup 6 round neutral stages, just that they aren't required to do it by the rules.

Thanks guys. It's clear that one gun for USPSA/IDPA is out of the question, and so is planning on shooting this pile of 9mm through a 929. 

I have a fair amount of 9mm reloading stuff still kicking around. Might be time to piece that all back together if I plan to be serious about this. Appreciate your guys' time. 

Edited by TFin04

TFin04,

Can’t do both with one gun, not and be competitive anyway. IDPA is cheaper to get into and you can use factory 38s to get started, if you stick with revo you will want to reload though.

john

P.S. If you decide to get a 929 MWP gives excellent advice.

Edited by robertson
Wanted to add something

You can run factory ammo in a 929.  Mine has popped mostly Win white box 115 for factory stuff as I use Win brass to reload and TK moonclips.  If you want a lighter than factory trigger then that limits what you can feed it.  I'm in the 7 lb range on the trigger and so far everything goes bang.  What you can't have is a sub 5 lb trigger and expect to run factory ammo.  If you can deal with the heavy trigger get the right moonclips and shoot factory.  Then work up a load and get the trigger work. 

I am running Blue Bullets 150 gr rn and WSF.  140 pf as I will not risk sub minor again.  I can use Win primers instead of Fed at the weight I currently have on the trigger.

YMMV

Paul Beck

• 3 months later...
On 2/26/2018 at 11:13 PM, paul788 said:

You can run factory ammo in a 929.  Mine has popped mostly Win white box 115 for factory stuff as I use Win brass to reload and TK moonclips.  If you want a lighter than factory trigger then that limits what you can feed it.  I'm in the 7 lb range on the trigger and so far everything goes bang.  What you can't have is a sub 5 lb trigger and expect to run factory ammo.  If you can deal with the heavy trigger get the right moonclips and shoot factory.  Then work up a load and get the trigger work. 

I am running Blue Bullets 150 gr rn and WSF.  140 pf as I will not risk sub minor again.  I can use Win primers instead of Fed at the weight I currently have on the trigger.

YMMV

Paul Beck

how many coils did you cut off of the RB spring?

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks guys. It's clear that one gun for USPSA/IDPA is out of the question, and so is planning on shooting this pile of 9mm through a 929. 

I have a fair amount of 9mm reloading stuff still kicking around. Might be time to piece that all back together if I plan to be serious about this. Appreciate your guys' time. 

Not unless IDPA changes their asinine rules to allow 8-shot revolvers.