Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

147 gr blue bullets and WST

dbolster24

I have been reloading 45acp for a while with great success with 5 gr wst. I have about 7 lbs of the powder but recently switched over to 9mm. Is anyone using WST in 9mm or should I invest in something different. I have loaded some blue bullets 147 FP with 3.6gr and seems to shoot pretty well. Had a few slide lock failures on final round. Wondering if I should bump it up or I will just have unburnt powder.

I am a recreational shooter so do not worry about power factors. I like to keep reloads close to factory loads if it all possible. Thanks for the input.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I like WST for 147's, it got a little squirrelly with 125's.

I ran 3.6gr under a coated 147 at 1.135" for a PF of 128 (875fps) in a Glock 34.  Same load in a CZ75 resulted in 124 PF (845fps).

Using the 125's, the FPS did some strange things only going up 5-7fps with .2 grains more powder. I was not comfortable going any further with other powders available.

Edited by SCTaylor

IMO WST is a good powder for 115 and 124 for minor PF
It is not a powder I would choose or suggest for 147gr.
Unless you chrono your loads and stay at minor PF or below with 147’s
There are better powders IMO for the heavy 9mm 147 loads. Be careful if you go forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I like WST for my 40S&W loads. For my 9mm I load 147 FP coated Bullets with 3.3 grains of Allianz Sport Pistol. This load gets me about 920 FPS from my CZ P09.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There are several extensive threads on coated 147gr and powders.  WSF,231, titegroup etc.  each loader having their own pros and cons.  search it in the 9mm threads. Lots of info given as this is a pretty good community for info 

I got up to 4.0gr of WST (settled on 3.8gr) with a FMJ. I really like WST in 9mm but I'm saving it for my .38 loads. I currently burn a lot of WSF in 9mm.

Gun: Ruger SR9/9E

Brass: Mixed

Primer: Fiocchi

Powder: WST 3.8gr

Bullet: CamPro 147gr RNFP (Thick plated bullet, manufacturer suggests using FMJ data)

OAL: 1.135

Weather: 25°C

Avg: 891

ES: 16

SD: 6

PF: 130

Gun: Ruger SR9/9E
Brass: Mixed
Primer: Fiocchi
Powder: WST 4.0gr
Bullet: CamPro 147gr RNFP (Thick plated bullet, manufacturer suggests using FMJ data)
OAL: 1.135
Weather: 23°C

Avg: 928
ES: 21
SD: 7
PF: 136

Edited by 4n2t0

Nothing wrong with that powder in 9mm. It just depends on what type of recoil you like. A faster powder like Clays, Bullseye, Tightgroup will give you a softer recoil impulse since you will be using less powder. My load is 3.0 of tightgroup with 145 coated lead and it is soft. Slower powders like WST, HP-38, CFE pistol, ect..  will require a little more powder to reach the same velocity, which means a little more recoil.

• 2 weeks later...