Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Missing the mag well on reloads

JamesEM

13 minutes ago, DKorn said:

Is it legal to do the dot (or smiley face) inside the magwell under the new Production rules once they take effect?

I don't see how. The ruling still stands unless somebody supersedes it.

14 hours ago, DKorn said:

I wasn’t sure if rulings on an appendix were invalid if the appendix was majorly revised. 

Just write an email to the right party. They'll change the rules.

I tried all sorts of reloading technique. 

I'd like to load closer to my body and at my chest level.

I find it's really consistent and fast with reloading at the "work space" (I forgot who said but this is where people usually clap relaxed)

I also find it's not always how much shorter distance you cover. It's the final time.

So no matter how short you move, it may be slower than relaxed and fast pace.

Another reason is that it is harder to control and have less bounce the further away from my body for loading while moving. I can also angle my magwell to the magazine pouch better when it's closer to my body because I don't have to tilt my wrist too much.

These are the main reasons.

• 1 month later...

+1 for Burkett practice. Get the mag to the same position every time. You’ll find the final motion becomes “insert+index to target” in the same fluid motion. Whether the gun is 6” or 12” form your chest is debateable. It’s like golf, whatever you can repeat consistently will produce the best score. My 2 cents. 

I've always been told to just look at the bottom of the magwell. However, I've noticed that every time I reload I look at my belt and it's destroying my times because it takes me a few extra seconds to recover. If I actually listened and looked at the magwell I'm sure I'd improve.

When I reload, I drop my elbows down, they're not tucked into my ribs, and the magwell is around my neck height and around 18" in front of me, muzzle is very slightly upwards and I stare at the front inside wall of the magwell until I see the front of the fresh mag enter it before redirecting my eyes to the next target while driving in the mag home with the palm of my weak hand and then rolling the pistol back upright.

I usually practice mag changes 2-3x a week at home during the season starting off nice and deliberate and slowly start increasing the speed until I start to make mistakes. When I start fracking up the reloads, I back off the speed a little where I'm back to consistent for a few more changes before trying to increase the speed again. Dry practicing at home helps build muscle memory so I know exactly where my mag pouches are without having to glance down at my belt and also muscle memory on the angle to hold my pistol and mags for insertion.

Take with a grain of sale 'cause I'm no GM.

On 4/24/2018 at 9:12 AM, SwedishMoose said:

...every time I reload I look at my belt and it's destroying my times because it takes me a few extra seconds to recover...

What on your belt are you looking at? The mag pouch? I actually haven’t seen a new shooter fall into this trap before.

Do enough dryfire practice at home that you don’t feel the need to look at any more than sights, magwell, see the top round going in, back to the sights.

Do you look at the gun in the holster before the draw?

14 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

What on your belt are you looking at? The mag pouch? I actually haven’t seen a new shooter fall into this trap before.

Do enough dryfire practice at home that you don’t feel the need to look at any more than sights, magwell, see the top round going in, back to the sights.

Do you look at the gun in the holster before the draw?

No, I don't look down at the gun in holster before the draw. I just never realized I looked down at my mags. It was also my first time shooting production and I had to reposition my mag pouches, so that could've been part of it. I've stopped doing that as a result of dryfire, though. 

I'm new to this sport so take what I say with a grain of salt, but like others have said if it works for you do it. If you reload better with the gun up in your face like i've seen those super "tactical" guys do then do it. I personally bring my gun about halfway back from full extension and elbow to chest, and stare at the far corner of the magwell. I also try to grab my mag in a way that my index finger is touching the tip of the bullet and then I feel and watch for my finger to hit the edge of the magwell and then slap it in as I start extending back out. The bullets on index finger is something that was driven home in the military and I really feel that it helps out because you are basically pointing your finger right to the magwell. 

Also to help with looking down I always sweep my belt feeling with my thumb for the next mag, thumb touches it, thats the one I grab. Like I said though, I'm new to the sport but this is what I have been doing with my personal training.

• 2 weeks later...