Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

More permanent way to black SS. sights

Mirage

I have a Beretta 92 FS that has the front sight that is part of the slide. The rear sight is in a dovetail in the slide.

The sights are stainless steel, with dimples drilled in them. I paint the dimples white and the sights black, this gives me a great sight picture.

Unfortunately the paint rubs off very quickly. If I could keep the top edges of the front sight black that would be great.

The last and best so far has been high temperature automotive paint. 

I was thinking of using ceracoat next, but it didn't look like they have it in flat black, plus I don't know if it is any more durable.

The more expensive route would be to have the slide and rear sight Ion-bond coated. I am fine with the slide being natural stainless steel finish, but since the front sight is part of the slide I don't know if they could do the Ion-bond on just the sight.

Any suggestions?

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 7:57 AM, mccurdy53 said:

I use my daughter's black nail polish on my rear sights.  Lasts longer than paint and helps keep the from rusting longer.

Ok Thanks

Guess I will go nail polish shopping and see if that is any more durable.

Be careful when applying the nail polish.  I’ve had my zero change from experimenting with various sight blacks and having it get overly thick on one side vs the other.  I’ve learned to carefully scrape the edges and sides of the sights whenever reapplying sight black.  

And like Sarge said, matte as possible is essential— you’ll find that glare is the real deal breaker.  I’m suspicious that you’ll find any nail polish that will be totally matte...

I have to agree that I will not find flat black in nail polish.

I had thought about trying to heat anodize the sight to a blue color.

I would have to heat the sight to 550 F. The Anodize would have a shine to it though. It might show up better than the silver as the paint rubs off.

Have you tried high temperature stove/bbq paint? It's flat black, and the heat from firing the gun should help bake on the paint.

It's the heat on the front of the gun that causes regular paint, and nail polish to come off.

Edited by Postal Bob

No, I haven't.

That would be worth a try. The heat could be the reason the paint doesn't last.

Or, it may be that I need a rougher surface on the sight and primer to get the grip for the paint to stay on better.

I did clean with Acetone and prime once, but it didn't seem to last any longer than when I just reapply enamel paint.

I had a very hard time seeing the black sights on a black PPC target. After years of trying everything, I ended up with bead blasting the front and rear sights, then a coat of oil, wiped down with a clean cloth. This made them a dark gray, which was very anti reflective with enough contrast to the target for good definition. The sights stay the same for a long time with no maintenance. To renew, just re oil and wipe down again. For those who can see black on black, that is probably the best option. The dark gray worked better for me.

Heat%20colored%20Baretta%2092%20FS%20fro[/URL]

I heat colored the Front sight in case the high temperature bbq. paint rubs off I hope the gray color will keep the front sight from washing out in the bright sun.

Image of heat colored stainless steel front sight

Image is a little blurry

Edited by Mirage

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks, I think the bake on Cerakote, or IonBonding are the only things that are goin to work. The heat coloring is a great improvement, but it is a gray color. It kept my sight from washing out like it usually does as the paint wears away.

Interesting to see this thread. I blacken the front SIG Night Sight on all three SIG pistols I use in competition. (P226, Compact and Full Size P320s.) I find I lose the edge of the sight when I see the white dot. Currently I just refresh with the black marker I keep in my range bag, but it's a bit glossy. 

As an aside I tried a black front site from Dawson on the P226 once, but found it too thin.

My preference is wide front sight, and black. An outcast in a world of thin fiber optic from sights. :-)

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 5:51 PM, bigfish said:

It probably wouldn’t cost very much to just have the front sight removed and have a dovetail cut into it.

I had thought about this, but the ring the front sight is on is only .065 thick, so I didn't think it would be possible or the cost would be astronomical.

Baretta%2092%20FS%20front%20sight%20slid

Edited by Mirage