Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Life of an open gun

3djedi

I just had slide crack at c 25,000 rounds, but STI going to replace slide   [emoji4]

You will have to replace some parts, but don't know why an OPEN gun won't
last as long as a Limited gun ....    [emoji144]
My sti slide cracked at 300 rounds lol. CK Arms will replace it of course........ I guess sti had a batch of slides that the steel was to hard and brittle and prone to cracking.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, 2011BLDR said:

I absolutely concur that no way will a 9 major last anywhere near those round counts... powders used are faster with higher pressers..the$ saved on brass is used on replacing parts .. then you have the down time for the repairs

What evidence do you have? And there are plenty of slow powders that people can use to make major with 9mm. That is an old wives tale at this point. HS6, 3n38, AA7... I could go on.

I sold a 9 major gun with 50K on it last year for $250 less than I paid to build it. Gun still shot 1.5 inch groups at 25 yards. Thing was a runner and still is.

I will put 50K on each of the 3 open guns im shooting now and either keep beating on them or sell them to build a different style gun (Although I do love my current hybrid set up). I have no concerns with reaching 75K-100K on each barrel.

I can make up loads with WAC (Current main powder), HS6, AA7, 3n38, and a few others as well. Not really an issue.

My favorite Caspian open gun had been a 38 super. I had rebarreled it to 9mm when the 38 super barrel finally shot out (for most of the time it was a 38 super major was 175.) the gun easily had 100k+ (probably 75k of it 9mm) rounds on it when the slide finally cracked.  That's well with in the service life of what I would expect from a well built open gun with a slide that's not radically lightened. I haven't found 9mm more prone to wear or breakage than super (I have a super slide crack as well)

Edited by caspian guy

14 minutes ago, 3djedi said:

What's your hybrid set up like?

Here's an off topic question but can you run 135g bullets through an open gun or is best to stick with the 115's and 124's?

I too shoot a hybrid, and we both really like our guns. Mine is a 5", his are all 5.4s. It is a great way to lighten the slide while at the same time increasing the stationary mass of the gun, and keeping it more centered than if you were using a steel comp to accomplish the same goal. 

135s would definitely not be my choice. You certainly could easily load them (or 147s, or 150s, etc) to major, but in my opinion you would be leaving performance on the table vs the lighter bullets.

9 hours ago, 3djedi said:

Here's an off topic question but can you run 135g bullets through an open gun or is best to stick with the 115's and 124's?

I'm using 125s but I loaded up some of the 135s I've been using for production and they ran fine.  Did not really feel a difference from the 125s, but then again I was just curious and haven't tested it seriously.  On another note, a friend of mine who is GM in open is running 147s these days.

I'm using 125s but I loaded up some of the 135s I've been using for production and they ran fine.  Did not really feel a difference from the 125s, but then again I was just curious and haven't tested it seriously.  On another note, a friend of mine who is GM in open is running 147s these days.
147's no kidding.

Just now, 3djedi said:

147's no kidding.

Yeah, surprised me too.  He gave me a few to try and they struck me as relatively soft.  I noticed in another thread that Atlanta sells 9mm major 147s.

Yeah, surprised me too.  He gave me a few to try and they struck me as relatively soft.  I noticed in another thread that Atlanta sells 9mm major 147s.
Heck I might as well give my 135's a try. I have a bunch I use for carry optics lol

44 minutes ago, 2011BLDR said:

Several GM's have been running 147gr 9 Major

I've never tried it, myself, just took accepted wisdom that the comp

won't work as well with less powder - 

Have to give it a try one day.    

Any idea what powder they're using ?    

4 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Not 100% sure.... but the starting load from Vit for 3N38 on a 147 gr 9mm is 6.3gr @ 1171fps (172.137 PF)....

,45 6.9 368 1207

9 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I would imagine something slow like 3N38, N105 or AA9.  I've loaded 9 major with 135s, they're nice and soft, although a little more flip.