Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Making minor with compact size barrel in Carry Optics

Resjudicata

I'm looking at getting a Carry Optics gun. Settled on the Sig P320 RX guns (like the grip better than the X5). But, I need to decide on whether to get the full size or compact top end. I like the balance, recoil and swingability of the compact size top end (3.9" barrel).

I'm asking to see if anyone has worked up loads for compact size guns for USPSA minor power factor? What were your issues in achieving power factor and what were your load recipes? 

Thank you for any info.

21 minutes ago, 9x45 said:

My G19 will throw a 124 Bayou at around 1,100 fps with 3.6 grs of TG at 1.125"  But why wouldn't you want to run a full size gun for Carry Optics?

I like the weight and feel of the shorter length slide and with a dot I don't need to worry about sight radius. The grip size is interchangeable on the P320 guns so I can use a full size grip with a compact slide. Kind of like the reason for the shorty open guns.

BTW, thanks for the load info. How does that load feel in your G19?

ETA: the shorter slide also reduces reciprocating weight without the need for slide cuts.

Edited by Resjudicata

Everything in any 9mm I have feels like a marsh mellow compared to my G31 357SIG Major loads... Yes, while it's true that any dot on any gun is target focused, but you still have more control over a full sized gun.

Edited by 9x45

9 hours ago, 9x45 said:

Everything in any 9mm I have feels like a marsh mellow compared to my G31 357SIG Major loads... Yes, while it's true that any dot on any gun is target focused, but you still have more control over a full sized gun.

The gun is a full size grip (not compact size) with a compact slide. The same configuration used in the shorty open guns that use a full size grip and commander top end. I'm sure the amount of my control of the gun won't be an issue.

I typically run around a 135pf out of my fullsize guns, and have found out of compacts they're in the neighborhood of 130pf, though it varies from pistol to pistol. Sometimes there's just a little tweaking of the load needed. There are two loads I've used in the past year that might work for you.....3.6gr of Prima V with a 135gr from The Blue Bullets loaded to an oal of 1.13, and 3.4gr of E3 with the same bullet loaded to the same length.