Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cz open build suggestions wanted

jbinpa59

OK thinking about drinking the open koolaid

Primary intended purpose is 2-3 local club level outlaw steel matches per year to see how bad the bug bites

so not wanting the investment of a chechmate.

I prefer cz style frames

I've got kimber/para /auto ordanace so I know the difference in feel of cz compared to 1911/2011's

I know I can load longer in large frames giving more powder choices for 9major

I've read all the cz open threads I could find.

CZ's I currently have in hand are;

TacSport in 40s&w for Limited major plus a complete 9mm upper for minor/plinking

SP-01 9mm set up for production

SP-01 9mm with vortex viper on a dovetail mount for CO which is mainly what I shoot now ( I plan to get the slide milled )

75B 9mm loaner,plinker, $350 project base,  gun bought used excellent other than a slightly pimpy color scheme stock internals

Prefer to make as few permanent mods as possible at this time to SP-01,s

Willing to mod the 75B

My proposal:

Buy

CZ USA threaded barrel in 9mm (I know the 1/2-28 threads limit comp choices)

Glock compensator or ??? Open to suggestions not sure I want to cone comp slides tho

Steel extended guide rod as locator/lock for comp?

Should total $350-400ish?? 

For steel my existing mags collection is gtg

If I go to open I'd need 3-4 140mm and 1-2 170mm basepad /spring setups to add to current mags ~$250ish

Slide?

Use the SP-01 CO slide /vortex combo? Already has clearance hole for guide rod 

Or the 75B slide with a dovetail mount for now? Adds $230 vortex plus needs drilled for guide rod

Frame choice?

If I use an SP-01 frame may be heavier.   but already has some cgw parts/polishing

75B frame should be lighter, but totally stock internally so would need some parts and polish work

Or just go for it and drill the 75 frame for the guide rod and a frame mount and jump in the deep end

Which I can do on a Buddy's Bridgeport

Add about $100 for mount and I'd need the second vortex anyway using the 75B slide

$50 for another data racer block

$300-350 in tune up parts and kneeling atlas's tuning guide 

Might manage to do a 75B based full build for $1350-1400 plus the 75b in hand? Which is what I'm leaning towards doing

Or a steel oriented poor boy open cz for a $400-500 outlay by Lego blocking a frame/co slide/barrel-comp setup??

Edited by jbinpa59

You and me both, kid. I carry a P-01 frame with a SP-01 slide milled out for a DPP. My only problem is the comp. I disn't exactly know if a M&P comp would match the contour of the CZ without a lot of work (dremeling). So I'm going to get an extended SP-01 barrel, cut it down and thread for m14x.075, put a tanfoglio small frame comp on it, and mill the comp for side ports. Glocks are really wide, and frankly, I'm not sure anything but a G43 comp would work without taking it to the mill so it'll fit inside the frame when it cycles for yah. 

• 3 weeks later...

the 170 mags will be the biggest hang up in a 75 based open gun. you can weld some up or buy the Tanfoglio small frame 25 rouders and put different guts in them. The Tanfoglio mag is $150 when you can find one in stock, I haven't changed the guts in mine yet so I'm not sure what they will hold, also they have a plain base pad like a stock mag. I have seen pictures of aftermarket bases for them but I believe those would have to be ordered from Europe.

For a bigger budget the PT evo grip for 2011s feels a lot like a CZ frame, also the czech mate is an option.

On 2/18/2018 at 9:50 PM, OrondoShooter said:

You and me both, kid. I carry a P-01 frame with a SP-01 slide milled out for a DPP. My only problem is the comp. I disn't exactly know if a M&P comp would match the contour of the CZ without a lot of work (dremeling). So I'm going to get an extended SP-01 barrel, cut it down and thread for m14x.075, put a tanfoglio small frame comp on it, and mill the comp for side ports. Glocks are really wide, and frankly, I'm not sure anything but a G43 comp would work without taking it to the mill so it'll fit inside the frame when it cycles for yah. 

tan. comp. is the better choice to fit cz   with minor modifications .

i done this few times on my small mil.

3 hours ago, Jody Waring said:

Would a Czechmate comp match up with an SPO1 threaded barrel? I have an open gun built on a Shadow but I am not sure what the smith used for a thread,... He built the comp and fitted it to stock barrel.

The Czechmate comp can be threaded on to an SP01 barrel, but the cone on the CM comp is smaller than the OD of the SP01 barrel bushing.

35 minutes ago, kneelingatlas said:

The Czechmate comp can be threaded on to an SP01 barrel, but the cone on the CM comp is smaller than the OD of the SP01 barrel bushing.

I had assumed something like that would be the case. I wonder if CZ Custom will ever offer a barrel and comp kit. Even if not used for major power factor, it would make for a nice steel gun, 3-gun pistol etc... Or minor power factor IPSC for anyone opting to do so. I plan to use mine for steel challenge and Pro-Am type matches.

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, TSL said:

It’s a TS .40 ported it’s great just don’t go crazy putting too many holes or you won’t have enough pressure to control muscle rise.

E80393C2-0E55-48E7-9B3F-5816E4054B00.jpeg

Looks great!

What thumb rest is mounted on your TS? 

Edited by George16

If the CZC mount(which looks like it) TSL used is the same mount I used for my TSO, then the hole pattern is the stock TSO/CM mounting holes pattern. The holes themselves use M4 screws.

Edited by George16

On 4/21/2018 at 7:16 AM, Greengun said:

TSL, May I ask the hole measurements on the barrel and slide and how does it work for you?

Hi,

if your asking about the scope mount George 16 is correct but if it’s about the port holes..

in my opinion just go straight with MagNaPort. Just let them do standard autoporting. That’s what I have. 

How does it work for me...

it has a significant difference and in all honesty every penny is worth it. Before I sent my upper to MagNaport I did a few basic test, double tap as fast as I can and see the pattern. When I got the slide back I did the same test.. second shot is a lot lower now. So from 13lbs recoil spring I went with 10lbs. to level the POI and using lower recoil spring it felt a lot smoother.

Edited by TSL

• 10 months later...