Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9 Major Reloads Question

tanfoglio1911

This is a question after I changed caliber from 40 to 9 open major. During the time that I was shooting 40 open, I always make sure that all reloads passed the gauge before using them. I am shooting 9 major at this time but never use a gauge for my reloads to check if they are ok. I shot around a thousand rounds but this gun just keep on going, no issue of a bulge brass or jam in the chamber. I have a KKM barrel on this gun and I use a Lee FCD on my Dillon 650. I want to know if this is a norm to most of 9 major barrel. I am using a once fired brass. Thanks.

I use ANY brass, and have fired 20,000+ rounds - don't use a FCD, either.

NEVER had a problem, until 2-3 times, I DID have a Problem.

Now, I don't check ammo for local matches, but I check EVERY round

for major matches - I just throw them into my barrel (Plunk Test).

Also check for high primers and cracked brass.    :) 

34 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I use ANY brass, and have fired 20,000+ rounds - don't use a FCD, either.

NEVER had a problem, until 2-3 times, I DID have a Problem.

Now, I don't check ammo for local matches, but I check EVERY round

for major matches - I just throw them into my barrel (Plunk Test).

Also check for high primers and cracked brass.    :) 

What brand of barrel you are using?

Am running a KKM in 9 major also. I don't gauge practice ammo and never had a issue other than a cracked case but it still cycled . I gauge match ammo to inspect like the above post for primer, cracks or if it wont fit properly. Funny ,  everything that wont gauge ( 5% ) goes in the practice box and works fine .

Am running a KKM in 9 major also. I don't gauge practice ammo and never had a issue other than a cracked case but it still cycled . I gauge match ammo to inspect like the above post for primer, cracks or if it wont fit properly. Funny ,  everything that wont gauge ( 5% ) goes in the practice box and works fine .
Thank you. Yes I do inspect each bullet to check the primer and I make sure the brass are good before I throw them into the case feeder. Well I guess I do the same thing, not to worry gauging the reloads for the local match.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

After going through the proper reloading stages and making sure you're not blowing primers, just keep an eye on any cracks or odd looking brass (if you're into picking up the brass.) I always use once-fired 9mm brass I buy by the thousands, so if I don't feel like picking it up that day, or feel like a big baller, I just let it lay and purchase another couple thousand a few months later. 

I'm surprised how much I love the hundo gauge.   I waited years before getting it, and then after having for a week I got the plastic flip tray.  Equally important in my eyes.  No matter what boxes you use it's completely flawless and easy.   Well worth the $20.00 or whatever it is, especially after the $100 on the gauge. 

Anyways, since then I check everything.  

I gauge everything.  Load a hundred, run them through the gauge and check for high primers, move on.  Only takes a couple minutes, one less thing to worry about.

This is my MO too. Gives me one last look before I shoot. I have found issues in this inspection so it is worth the time to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Yeah, me too.   AND, I still visually check each cartridge as I load it into a mag   :) 

I check the first ten and the last ten when reloading and spot check some in the peanut jars I use to store ammo for local shoots.  I gage all ammo before a state shoot, I think the last issue I had (which I found during inspection), was a turned primer.