Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Carry Optics Rules

OPENB

Surprised at the lack of discussion on the BoD meeting agenda and decisions. Found reference to it in the CZ section, and just went and read them for myself. BoD approved slide lightening cuts for CO, and removed provisional status. Approved aftermarket triggers in CO AND Production. New Production rules take effect in 3 months, CO now.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, BritinUSA said:

What was the issue with the 2” rule... Is it too short ?

Supposedly at this meeting they were going to change it to width of scoring overlay for restricted divisions and length of overlay for limited/Open. It was discussed last year but they had to wait until this year due to by laws

1 minute ago, kipdynamite said:

Other than doing slide cuts to get a Shadow 2 or a Stock II to make weight, does it offer any advantage to making cuts on a pistol that's already legal? Like an SP-01.

Outside of reducing weight, no. BUT there is the "that's cool" factor.

I am sure that someone will say that the cuts cause air friction so that helps keep the muzzle from rising (LOL)

1 minute ago, mstamper said:

Outside of reducing weight, no. BUT there is the "that's cool" factor.

I am sure that someone will say that the cuts cause air friction so that helps keep the muzzle from rising (LOL)

Okay. Good! I feel like I just found $200.00. I abandoned trying to look "cool" years ago.

9 hours ago, Sarge said:

Supposedly at this meeting they were going to change it to width of scoring overlay for restricted divisions and length of overlay for limited/Open. It was discussed last year but they had to wait until this year due to by laws

Thanks, my RHT holster and SpringerPrecision hanger are right at 2”... a little wiggle room would have been nice.

1 hour ago, kipdynamite said:

Other than doing slide cuts to get a Shadow 2 or a Stock II to make weight, does it offer any advantage to making cuts on a pistol that's already legal? Like an SP-01.

This is really the only "big deal" for CO. Its easier to find certain guns and make them make weight by cutting them. Stock III, maybe Stock II, Shadow 2. Or aftermarket Glock slides with the "window" cut in the top. The trigger rule makes all the aftermarket Glock triggers legal. 

14 hours ago, kipdynamite said:

Fyi, I shot a stock 2 9mm with a dovetail mounted vortex (zero slide cutting) and was at 44.6oz. Milling the slide to mount the dot makes weight easily.

2 hours ago, LeviSS said:

So, since there's just a maximum weight listed does that mean that frame weights, grip weights, etc are legal as long as it's under weight?

That is a grey area. There is a section in the CO gun rules that says that just because something is not listed does not by default make it legal by its absence. (rather circular but that is the gist of what it says)

The rules also say that if you are called on a condition / legality of your weapon YOU have to show a SPECIFIC rule that allows your modification. If you can't then the modification is ruled illegal and a decision will be made as to how or if you are allowed to continue in the match.

I don’t care about carry optics changing these rules... it’s not production. They already have 25 rounds starts with the 140mm mags. Cool. Okay. 

Slide lighting? cool.

Thumb rests? Check. Cool

They have to make it a real division. They have had a national championship in it a few times. Hopefully this will bring some sick ass customized cooler guns. Why not? Okay. Figured. Check.