Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning

johnsonian85

It’s probably been asked but I can’t find it...how often do people field strip and clean their open guns? And how often are people doing a full disassembly for a detailed clean.  

I normally do do a field strip cleaning after every session, and full clean once a year (open gun isn’t old enough to have done that test).

thanks.

My normal routine is a completely clean gun going into a match on Sunday , 150-200  rounds depending where and if it's a place with lots of steel . Just oil at that point then its 2 days of practice during the week that run 3-400 each , between those main gunk wiped out and oiled . So generally at about 1k it's detail cleaned , everything but mainspring housing and ready for the next match then it starts over again .Every other month is mainspring out and that is cleaned with the detail cleaning. This works for me and i never have failure to extract due to a dirty extractor channel or other failures related to build up.

I think you will find everyone is a little different. During the shooting season, I am sure people clean them more than off season. I clean mine after every match. And completely break it down quarterly. So it gets a full detail strip 4 times a year

It also depends on the powder that you are running. I prefer to clean my gun between and major match and every other weekly match. I run Hs6 which is very dirty and a clean gun runs smoother and less likely to have any issues. You also want to be cleaning your mags between stages because depending on where you shoot, you dont want Sand or dirt in your gun. That can lead to a hole other round issues.

I'm shooting HS6 also.  Clean guns have less issues has always been my thought process.  Just wanted to know if others were doing it less and I was wasting my time.

Yeah, mags get cleaned if they get dropped on nasty ground, learned that one my tanfo in production.

• 3 weeks later...

I clean both my Limited and Open guns after every match. Field strip, Wipe down, Qtip, Oil, reassamble. Clean gun happy gun.

Open definitely gets more dirty (7.6gr of Silouhette) 3Gun is much cleaner (N320) But still gets cleaned after every match. Mags get cleaned right there after it gets dropped on the ground at the match.