Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cell Phones & Digital Scales Don't Mix...

So I went down to my reloading / gun room this morning to run some loads for tonight's match. As usual I turn on my Dillon digital scales to let them warm up as I fill the powder hopper as usual. Next  I calibrated the scales, or at least tried to... They were acting wacky which has never happened and have always been spot on. The calibration weight kept changing readings then the scales began cycling on and off. At that point I began considering an exorcism! 

Then I reached around the back to be sure the power plug was fully connected and saw my cell phone laying right next to the scales. :roflol:

Consequently just a reminder to keep mobile devices away from scales :cheers:

Cheers from IGG!

1 hour ago, gerritm said:

The ceiling fan above my loading bench affects mine. It is a Berry digital scale. If the fan is on the numbers bounce around and it is not consistent.

gerritm

These scales are very sensitive to air currents...

5 minutes ago, jkrispies said:

I’ve got an ancient RCBS digital and have never noticed anything but I also don’t keep my phone near the scale.  It’s worth looking into though.  Thanks for the headsup.   

:cheers:

5 hours ago, koteris said:

I've had trouble with the cell phone, and even more with the fluorescent light that used to sit over my bench.  Now the phone stays across the room and I switched to LED light.  Probably should have just bought a nice beam scale.

I used to have fluorescent lighting in my previous reloading room and had to switch them out. Fortunately our new house is 100% LED.

Problem fixed!

:D

Edited by IGOTGLOCKED

I worked for decades in a chemical lab and for the last twenty + years or so we using digital scales. Never heard of any interference from fluorescent lights or cell phones. Our scales are placed very much under the lights for best visibility....I agree that any air movement from a fan, open window etc. will be bad! But this applies to either digital or mechanical scales.

I worked for decades in a chemical lab and for the last twenty + years or so we using digital scales. Never heard of any interference from fluorescent lights or cell phones. Our scales are placed very much under the lights for best visibility....I agree that any air movement from a fan, open window etc. will be bad! But this applies to either digital or mechanical scales.

Just guessing here but a commercial lab grade scale is likely to have better shielding than most of the reloading specific scales marketed to the average joe...

M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, Want2BS8ed said:

Just guessing here but a commercial lab grade scale is likely to have better shielding than most of the reloading specific scales marketed to the average joe...

M

You may  be right there.

2 hours ago, RudyVey said:

I will assure you it clearly interferes with them. I suspect your scales are significantly more sophisticated... 

2 hours ago, Want2BS8ed said:

M

Yuppers...

Anybody have issues with fluorescent lights with noisey ballasts?  I switched to LED lights and my RCBS loadmaster seems to be more consistent but not sure if that is just psychological.  The main reason I switched was my Dillon case feeder, everytime the toggle switch was hit the lights would flicker (plugged into the same outlet).  

3 hours ago, Banacek said:

Anybody have issues with fluorescent lights with noisey ballasts?  I switched to LED lights and my RCBS loadmaster seems to be more consistent but not sure if that is just psychological.  The main reason I switched was my Dillon case feeder, everytime the toggle switch was hit the lights would flicker (plugged into the same outlet).  

Yes, fluorescent lights (or more likely the ballast) have been known to interfere with some scales.

Edited by Tom S.

4 hours ago, Banacek said:

I always heard when the ballasts made noise they were going bad which was also unhealthy to be around them...