Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Remington double stack

G T

Has any one started using one for uspsa? I have one ordered as a back up to my para since they use the same mags. I am guessing para/rock island magwell should work. Anyone with experience?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I’m interested to hear. I haven’t had any trouble with my Para Pro Custom, but I have yet to even see a Remington double stack. 
Mine gets delivered tomorrow. I won't pic it up till Wednesday though. I am going to try swapping some things on it to see what fits.

The gun has arrived I have disassembled it and started changing it.

It is a renamed Para as I Thought. The rear sight even says Para Ord. The stock trigger brakes at 5lbs. The recoil spring was so tight I could not get it off the guide rod. I destroyed it taking it off since it was going to be changed any way.

Vz grips that it comes with are the same as I have on my para so that is cool. Trigger is a little sloppy but I will be changing that also.

I stoned the sear and hammer hooks and disconnected. But in a 17lb main spring and the trigger went to 4.2 lbs. I will be ordering a TJ shim and trigger, and hammer and mag release tonight.

I checked the .40 ammo I used in my para, 200 gr BBI loaded at 1.185 it dropped right in.

Tomorrow I will put some rounds through it and see how it feels.f74bc1d3f94a0a45fe1c5d1332460790.jpgc329af820420a31448b939e0f39cea6d.jpg105099e24e8a5f0c5ec57fe6661d5e1f.jpg2abd758618d73e90cd1635403a75fcbf.jpgcf030be698387fe79ecd3b811281fadd.jpg38fff7281054cdad66c729fd7979de9f.jpg

Awesome! I have a Para Pro Custom 16.40 from when they used EGW internals and PDV Ionbond’d both slide and frame.  I also have 2 Para Pro Comps in .40 that I shoot in SSTK with stock trigger group at 2lb 2ozs and LOVE. 

However, I recently rehab’d a Remington 1911-R1 Limited SSTK in .40 and found Remington is using the same PARA frame, slide & sights, but is skimping on the rest. The internals are no longer EGW and now all MIM, the beavertail is VERY poorly chosen (bad fit). And it appears only the slide is PVD coated ,as there's an obvious visual difference in the coating. 

I also don’t think the “IonBond” is the same quality as the Pro Comp had, because my Pro Comp .40 has 5,000+ draws on it w/zero muzzle wear, but the Remington is showing wear after 500. 

Bummed to see Remington skimped when the Para Pro Comp was such a great build. I don’t have experience with the Remington double stack specifically, but I’m guessing it’s similar.

Edited by resortboarder

Considering all the tinkering you have to do to get it "right" wouldn't you be better off with an STI? From what I remember Paras weren't that great to begin with.

Glad to see Remington taking a chance on a gun focused on our market/sport but...

Considering all the tinkering you have to do to get it "right" wouldn't you be better off with an STI? From what I remember Paras weren't that great to begin with.
Glad to see Remington taking a chance on a gun focused on our market/sport but...
I already have a Para and Remington makes sense due to mags and rig already set up for it. I have less in 2 guns (With the mods I have done) then some people have in their STI's.

I have bought some parts that will start coming in this week and the replacing and fitting will begin.

3 hours ago, G T said:

I already have a Para and Remington makes sense due to mags and rig already set up for it. I have less in 2 guns (With the mods I have done) then some people have in their STI's.

I have bought some parts that will start coming in this week and the replacing and fitting will begin.

Great. Didn't catch how inexpensive they were. Under 1K at Bud's. I thought they would be much more. Best of luck. I'm a member out at Old Fort, great club

After installing new sear, disconnector, hammer, trigger, main spring, tj shim and fitted an extra safety i had laying around and some stoning this is the result. Clean break, no creep, nice reset can't wait to run it through a practice. Waiting on an EGW magwell to show up.9763a25387ff7ab073e6e4e1af0269f9.jpg1f8dab6a7f02562badeaa6536feeb2d9.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/28/2018 at 11:16 AM, Startingover said:

Anyone have any new info?

My son just ordered one in 40cal

I am anxious to see and shoot it.

Finally got to shoot this thing.

Seems like a pretty nice gun.

I hope it breaks in, and gets a little more feed ramp friendly.

Didn't always want to feed blazer brass, but was ok with the remington ammo.