Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

155mm mags for 9mm/38sc

Posvar

To me, there is no benefit other than round count.  I went with one 170 and two 155s instead of 140s.  Use the 170 on stages you are sure you can get through without a reload.   The 155s are easier to reload.  If I'm going to mix and match, I load the 170 first.

I run all three mags, 170,155 and 140. Which one I use depends on what the stage is. I find I use the 140 and 155 on any stages where I will have to do a reload (over 30 rounds.). If there is no reload then it's the 170 for the stage. I don't think there is any benefit having a 155 over a 170. I have two of each in my bag and use what ever works with the stage.

If you have a 170 and some 140's, you should be good.  155's are good to have, but they are not a "required" item such as the 170.

It's more of a "I want to have the new stuff" deal.  If you have the $, then get some.

Edited by Big Guy

Hello: If you are using SVI 140mm mag tubes you can use a Dawson base pad for a Para to give you a mag that holds 24-27 rounds. That way you will have many options with the 140mm magazine with different base pads. I am finding that I am using the 140mm magazines more and more with different base pad setups for the stages we run around here. Thanks, Eric

I run one 170 and have a 155 as my reload. I dont have an issue reloading to the 170 but can only load 29 in the mag. A 155 can hold 27. Some people will go out an buy MBX mags or they will buy sti mags and tune them how they see fit. With the MBX mags you also dont have to run a spacer for 9mm ( I dont run 38 sup so I dont if you need the spacer due to the longer round. For the ProAm iam going to be getting some stock 140's and see how they run, But for big matches all you need is one 170 and two 155's or 141's in-place of the 155's. I ran with only a 170 and one 155 at this years fl champ and did not have an need to run a third mag, But in the future I will be running at least one more 155. I like the extra rounds vs the 141's. 

On 2/12/2018 at 10:05 AM, Mikeski said:

I run all three mags, 170,155 and 140. Which one I use depends on what the stage is. I find I use the 140 and 155 on any stages where I will have to do a reload (over 30 rounds.). If there is no reload then it's the 170 for the stage. I don't think there is any benefit having a 155 over a 170. I have two of each in my bag and use what ever works with the stage.

Ditto, I have 2 170s, 2 155s, and 4 140s.

10 hours ago, FFEMT said:

But for big matches all you need is one 170 and two 155's or 141's in-place of the 155's. I ran with only a 170 and one 155 at this years fl champ and did not have an need to run a third mag, But in the future I will be running at least one more 155. I like the extra rounds vs the 141's. 

I agree as in most matches I run the same two mags, but I like having spares incase a mag gets damaged or for what ever reason stops working. 

Yea Mike, I agree with you. I ran into the issue at the wac on sunday, where i dropped my big stick and reloaded to my 155 but would have and dry with 4 targets left so I had to pick up the 170 off the ground. I know this is a major NoNo, but it worked out in my favor. The only time I have needed an 3rd mag is during classifiers where you have to have a 2nd string with a another reload.

3 hours ago, zzt said:

Having done exactly that on two occasions, I now ALWAYS run with three mags on my belt.  I only use two, but the third is there just in case.

I will be getting more mags for A6 and the proam.