Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to transition into another bottle of powder?

IGOTGLOCKED

I finally found a bottle of Sport Pistol and have a load that tested well.  Now fast forward how do I transition into the next bottle? I can't just use it until the hopper runs dry... I've hear mix the two as one would do with paint but how soon (%/%) would one begin to blend it if this is so?

Thanks!

IGG

I have used 4 pounds (all different lot numbers) of it so far and it is consistent enough from lot to lot you really won't need to do that. It never hurts to check to make sure, but so far it is dead nuts from bottle to bottle. I would say, as consistent as it has been, you could mix the 2 at any point.

16 minutes ago, IGOTGLOCKED said:

I can't just use it until the hopper runs dry 

I do.    ;)

Just check the powder level in each case (which I do anyways)

to make sure  ..   the very last drops I just dump into the new bottle

and shake.

Then I run 20 rounds thru a chrono, just in case   :)  

3 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I do.    ;)

and shake.

Thanks HPJ, that puts me a little more at ease...

Naturally, running some rounds over the chrono is best, but you can get a pretty good idea how the new lot compares to the old lot by comparing the weight vs. the volume. 

In other words, if the new lot throws the same weight charge as the old lot did at the same powder measure setting, the two lots are pretty close.  

6 minutes ago, Ken6PPC said:

Naturally, running some rounds over the chrono is best,

That is EXACTLY what I do.  Canister grade powder are good, but they are not exact lot t lot.  In shotshells, as 25fps and/or 2500psi variance is considered SAFE for reloaders.  That is CANISTER grade.

Measure!

12 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I do.    ;)

and shake.

I had read that not keeping the powder hopper mostly full can effect the drop consistency?

12 hours ago, Ken6PPC said:

Naturally, running some rounds over the chrono is best, but you can get a pretty good idea how the new lot compares to the old lot by comparing the weight vs. the volume. 

In other words, if the new lot throws the same weight charge as the old lot did at the same powder measure setting, the two lots are pretty close.  

Right, thx!

11 hours ago, zzt said:

That is EXACTLY what I do.  Canister grade powder are good, but they are not exact lot t lot.  In shotshells, as 25fps and/or 2500psi variance is considered SAFE for reloaders.  That is CANISTER grade.

Measure!

Indeed, I have a chrono and am able to shoot at my range in the back.

Thx

I try to stock up with several bottles with the same lot number.  I refill the powder measure whenever it hits the half filled level. 

When I am forced to switch lot numbers, I just add it to the powder measure.  I continue loading (with the original powder) until I get near the halfway mark again. 

The next 200 rds are in the transition zone and are relegated to the practice ammo bin.  By then I'm on the new powder and load up enough ammo to chronograph. 

If needed, I will then adjust the powder measure to get to the correct PF.  Once set, I'm back to producing match ammo.

Keep the measure topped off with the old bottle until you run out.

Then begin toppjng it off with the new bottle. 

I’ve done this with Prima V, Titegroup, Solo1000, and clays. Without issue at all.

Solo and Prima V are known to vary widely from lot to lot. I casually dump new powder on top of old because I buy in bulk within one lot number.

With them, I’d empty the hopper back into the old bottle when it got low. Swap 100% new powder into the hopper and go chrono some ammo. If I get the same results, then I’ll casually mix the two batches to get rid of the old stuff.

If chrono results vary noticeably, then it’s time to work up a new load and treat them like entirely different powders.

With sport pistol, based on everything I’ve heard about its consistency and stabilty? I would have casually dumped new powder in with old without any hesitation, if I were in your shoes.

12 hours ago, Flatland Shooter said:

I try to stock up with several bottles with the same lot number.  I refill the powder measure whenever it hits the half filled level. 

When I am forced to switch lot numbers, I just add it to the powder measure.  I continue loading (with the original powder) until I get near the halfway mark again. 

The next 200 rds are in the transition zone and are relegated to the practice ammo bin.  By then I'm on the new powder and load up enough ammo to chronograph. 

If needed, I will then adjust the powder measure to get to the correct PF.  Once set, I'm back to producing match ammo.

Understood. Not that I could find it anyway however I wanted to try it prior to buying a big jug. Now that I'm sold on it I still can't  find but 1 lb bottles but want to grab what I am able to find. Theses two bottles should last a few months (?) until I can buy larger quantities.

Cheers!

23 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Keep the measure topped off with the old bottle until you run out.

Then begin toppjng it off with the new bottle. 

I’ve done this with Prima V, Titegroup, Solo1000, and clays. Without issue at all.

Solo and Prima V are known to vary widely from lot to lot. I casually dump new powder on top of old because I buy in bulk within one lot number.

With them, I’d empty the hopper back into the old bottle when it got low. Swap 100% new powder into the hopper and go chrono some ammo. If I get the same results, then I’ll casually mix the two batches to get rid of the old stuff.

If chrono results vary noticeably, then it’s time to work up a new load and treat them like entirely different powders.

With sport pistol, based on everything I’ve heard about its consistency and stabilty? I would have casually dumped new powder in with old without any hesitation, if I were in your shoes.

Thanks Memphis, this sounds like a logical solution. I had bought a chrono based on your advice a while ago but it was difficult finding a range to use it. Now it's a great advantage and convenience to not only having a chrono but also having  a range in the back to chrono as needed which I didn't have until nine months ago...

Cheers!

On 2/11/2018 at 8:46 PM, Hi-Power Jack said:

I do.    ;)

and shake.

Ditto, I run it until empty and start powder weights once it gets below deep into metal part of the powder hopper.  I am impressed by the consistency of the powder weight.

I spoke with a tech @ Alliant and asked if one should be concerned about mixing the same name powder, in this case Sport Pistol. He was quite difficult to engage in conversation however he explained Alliant policy (read liability disclaimer)  suggests to not mix powder for two reasons:

1. The concern of cross contamination.

2. The concern of potential differences in powder especially between lots.

The following is my rendition of the conversation due to me having to ask questions and most of his answers were either yes, no, or maybe... 

He did say if one chose to do so to try to have powders from the same lot numbers and to be sure the powder hopper had the baffle as the Dillon does due to it doing a great job of helping to mix the powder. Furthermore it is also recommended to build loads equal to the current load one is attempting to match and compare the testing (chrono) stats. If it is virtually identical it would be safer to do so. If stats do not match then build a new load from the new powder and try to obtain greater quantities of the same lot numbers in the future.

So, there we have it...:sight:

4 hours ago, jester121 said:

It's pistol powder... not precision rifle loads for the Olympics. Relax......

Yeah... if it were that big a deal, there would be different sets of load data for EVERY different powder lot. I’m sure variations occur, but it’s not enough to matter.