Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

7.5 MOA Deltapoint Pro

lacivilian

I am currently considering the move to a 7.5 moa Deltapoint Pro as I believe that there are many benefits that it could POTENTIALLY offer. I do realize there is a slight training curve as with all dots but to move to a triangle is different than a round dot. I'm looking for some people's thoughts and opinions that have extensively used or at least owned a 7.5 moa triangle. I currently do not have any access to a 7.5 triangle and I really need some good opinions on it before I place an order for one. NO I DO NOT want your opinion if you have only owned the 2.5 moa model. That is not the type of discussion I am looking for. Though, if you have owned both and have a fair amount of time behind both I would love to know your thoughts on this subject. If anyone can post some pictures of the true triangle size at varying distances it would be much appreciated as well. 

I started with the 7.5 on my open gun. I now have the 2.5. I think the 2.5 is vastly superior. I was not a fan of the size of the 7.5- it seemed MUCH larger than the 2.5. It even seemed much larger than a 6moa dot on a traditional cmore. The size was not a problem on open close targets but i was not confident with it on hard partials at longer distances. It’s also got a diff type of intensity than the 2.5. Hard to explain but if you see them side by side I think the 2.5 is a more intense illumination. After owning both I’d absolutely buy more deltapoints in the future, but they would all be the 2.5 model.

1 minute ago, shooterDrew said:

I started with the 7.5 on my open gun. I now have the 2.5. I think the 2.5 is vastly superior. I was not a fan of the size of the 7.5- it seemed MUCH larger than the 2.5. It even seemed much larger than a 6moa dot on a traditional cmore. The size was not a problem on open close targets but i was not confident with it on hard partials at longer distances. It’s also got a diff type of intensity than the 2.5. Hard to explain but if you see them side by side I think the 2.5 is a more intense illumination. After owning both I’d absolutely buy more deltapoints in the future, but they would all be the 2.5 model.

Good to hear, this is the type of thing I'm looking for as most people have only owned one or the other and always think the one they chose is the best one. 

I been using the 7.5 Delta since the original Gen1 was available.

Used one on a carry gun that I milled the slide on to fit it 10-12 years ago.

My wife currently has that one on her CO gun.

I also shoot C-Mores on my open guns with 6 or 8 MOA dots.

Currently using a DPP with 7.5 Delta on a CO gun I set up for myself.  Took a sight off with a 4 moa dot for the DPP 7.5

Summary

I prefer the delta.

I sight them in POA/POI at the very tip of the delta at 25yds

Anything less than that and the impact is in the delta, at 20-25yds and beyond if its a head shot or tight shot I can use the tip of the delta.

Actually use it for some hard cover, tuxedo type shots at closer ranges.

The "point" is I can use the point of the delta whenever I feel the need for a more accurate shot.

FWIT one mans opinion!

7 minutes ago, jcc7x7 said:

I been using the 7.5 Delta since the original Gen1 was available.

Used one on a carry gun that I milled the slide on to fit it 10-12 years ago.

My wife currently has that one on her CO gun.

I also shoot C-Mores on my open guns with 6 or 8 MOA dots.

Currently using a DPP with 7.5 Delta on a CO gun I set up for myself.  Took a sight off with a 4 moa dot for the DPP 7.5

Summary

I prefer the delta.

I sight them in POA/POI at the very tip of the delta at 25yds

Anything less than that and the impact is in the delta, at 20-25yds and beyond if its a head shot or tight shot I can use the tip of the delta.

Actually use it for some hard cover, tuxedo type shots at closer ranges.

The "point" is I can use the point of the delta whenever I feel the need for a more accurate shot.

FWIT one mans opinion!

Interesting, the 25yd sight in is where the triangle seems to have better benefits than the dot. Yes at extreme close distances there still is some height over bore issues but that exists with a dot as well. The point allows for superior precision at distance and on partials. Can you try and get a few pictures of the delta?

Edited by lacivilian

I have been using the 7.5 Delta since the original Gen1 was available.

2 are milled to the slide (2011’s) on Arredondo mounting plates. One is a Arredondo frame mount (this is so low to the slide that it must be flat topped). I sight them in POA/POI at the upper 15% of the delta at 17 yds. All shots closer are within the delta so no offset or hold over’s just don’t put the delta on the NS or black. this also puts the POI in to the 6 o'clock tip of the delta situation at around 23 yds.

The delta works for me I would not ever consider a change to a 2.5 MOA dot on an Open Pistol the #’s just don’t work for me:

·       Hight over bore

·       Velocity

·       2.5MOA  covers .075” @ 3 yds

·       17 yd BZO for POA / POI

32 minutes ago, 2011BLDR said:

I have been using the 7.5 Delta since the original Gen1 was available.

2 are milled to the slide (2011’s) on Arredondo mounting plates. One is a Arredondo frame mount (this is so low to the slide that it must be flat topped). I sight them in POA/POI at the upper 15% of the delta at 17 yds. All shots closer are within the delta so no offset or hold over’s just don’t put the delta on the NS or black. this also puts the POI in to the 6 o'clock tip of the delta situation at around 23 yds.

The delta works for me I would not ever consider a change to a 2.5 MOA dot on an Open Pistol the #’s just don’t work for me:

·       Hight over bore

·       Velocity

·       2.5MOA  covers .075” @ 3 yds

·       17 yd BZO for POA / POI

Looking like the delta is the way to go despite contrary belief. 

1 hour ago, dansedgli said:

I think your mind was made up before you made this thread. 

I dont know why you'd want 2 aiming points on your scope. The dot is easy to see and is precise without any thinking. 

Ive tried a delta and didnt care for it

There is not 2 aiming points. Correct I did want the delta when I opened this thread but I wanted to hear other users opinions on it as I have not had hands on experience with one. I thought that was pretty clear.

I've used a 7.5 DP since they first came out. I kinda liked it because if I wanted accuracy on long shots, I used the tip of the triangle, and for fast close targets, I just overlay the whole triangle over the target. I've since switched platforms to a 6MOA C-more and like it better, maybe my abilities have changed.

13 minutes ago, lacivilian said:

There is not 2 aiming points. Correct I did want the delta when I opened this thread but I wanted to hear other users opinions on it as I have not had hands on experience with one. I thought that was pretty clear.

The tip of the delta or the whole triangle is being used by everyone that has one. That's 2 aiming points. 

42 minutes ago, dansedgli said:

The tip of the delta or the whole triangle is being used by everyone that has one. That's 2 aiming points. 

See that’s where people get it wrong. You sight it in with the tip and then just use the big delta as a whole for your shots.

I have one on my CO gun only shot a few practice and 2 matches with it so far but I'm liking it.
I don't think of it as having 2 aiming point, more of I get more information to aim with. For harder shots aim with point of triangle, for easier shots if I see the triangle instead of a red blur I'm going too slow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, dansedgli said:

I tend to agree with dan. I've tried the triangle. it's too big and too washed out for me. I don't like it. I also don't want to have to think about using the bottom as an aim point on close stuff, then the whole thing on say 5-25m then use the tip at 25-50m. too complicated and hence too slow.

if you like it and you want one then by all means go ahead but I much prefer the dot.

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, nick779 said:

Following/bumping this. Im on the same fence. 

Any change in opinion? What did you end up with?

I have handled both 2.5 and 7.5 I did not like EITHER of them. The window size was too small for me. I don't care how wide it is if it is only 17mm in height compared to 25mm in a Romeo 3 or an RTS2. I ended up with a ROMEO 3 and could not be happier. Excited to see the new R3 Max model this summer. 

3 hours ago, lacivilian said:

I have handled both 2.5 and 7.5 I did not like EITHER of them. The window size was too small for me. I don't care how wide it is if it is only 17mm in height compared to 25mm in a Romeo 3 or an RTS2. I ended up with a ROMEO 3 and could not be happier. Excited to see the new R3 Max model this summer. 

This why I just picked up a Holosun 510c. The window on the DPP is just to small. So hopefully the Holosun will fix that problem for me. 

I originally started with the 7.5. I owned a couple.  Then I got a 2.5. After that I sold all of my 7.5.

For uspsa the 7.5 dot was too big and confusing when shooting fast. The dot would cover too much of the target and my brain would have to decipher which part of the dot I was aiming with. With the 2.5 I zero @ 20 yards and pretty much when dot is on target I take the shot. Just eliminate any confusion with the dot. Simply is faster for me and my results showed it!

Now if the dot is for a bench rest gun or a slow aiming application, then I would go with the 7.5.