Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light strikes

GrayR

So I shot steel Challenge this morning. Had tons of light strikes on my hand loads. Now I know that the CCI primers are harder but it’s an M&P with a factory striker spring and it was failing to set off probly 20 rounds during the match. Any idea what I did wrong to cause this?

Most likely causes are primers not fully seated (did they go off if struck again?) or you loaded too long or otherwise out of spec causing the rounds to not quite fully chamber and the gun is trying to fire not quite in battery.

They’re loaded long so that may be it. I’ll go seat em a little deeper and try em again tomorrow. As far as them going off the second time I just chucked the slide and kept shootin. Still did fine so I’m not too too worried about it just tryin to tighten up my weak spots. 

If, by hand priming, you mean you are using a hand priming tool, these are always suspect for not completely seating primers - at least if any quantity are being primed.

I recommend the RCBS bench mounted automatic priming tool if priming off the press.  It gives good leverage, along with good feel while avoiding the potential hand fatique of a hand priming tool.

5 hours ago, GrayR said:

I hand prime all my cases and they feel fine

When I have light strikes in my Glocks (stock springs except 13# recoil), it is virtually always high primers. Visual inspection will always i.d. the problem ones so you might want to load them nose down in a ammo box and look at them from the side.

15 hours ago, GrayR said:

I hand prime all my cases and they feel fine so I’m thinking it’s the length. And as far as the striker spring it sets off factory ammo just fine so again I think that part is ok. 

Prime it on a press with fairly firm pressure and I bet the problem goes away.  Do you always hand prime, and have you ever had any issue like this before?

17 hours ago, GrayR said:

So I shot steel Challenge this morning. Had tons of light strikes on my hand loads. Now I know that the CCI primers are harder but it’s an M&P with a factory striker spring and it was failing to set off probly 20 rounds during the match. Any idea what I did wrong to cause this?

Still- go with Winchester- your right CCI are the hardest ones-

Yeah I always hand prime and I haven’t ever had trouble on any of the calibers I load on. Not trouble like this. I measured my primer depth with a depth mic on some factory ammo and mine and it was less than a half thou different  so I’m guessing I loaded this batch to the very edge of too long. Ill

shorten em and see. 

Since everyone else already covered primers not being seated all the way I'll throw out it could be a bad run of primers. I've had a few over the years that were seated properly and would not go bang even after being struck 3-4 times.  So it might not be your priming technique. Good luck

Yeah I suppose it could be bad primers. But considering I taught myself without any real instruction I tend to think I’m the weak link until all other options are tried. I’ll look into it though!!

7 minutes ago, GrayR said:

I ran em through my Glock and they all went off without hitch so maybe it’s specific to the M&P. Who knows I’m gonna stick with factory for a little while anyway. Thanks!!

You said stock striker spring. Is the recoil spring stock as well, or did you by chance put a lighter one in?

14 hours ago, GrayR said:

I ran em through my Glock and they all went off without hitch so maybe it’s specific to the M&P. Who knows I’m gonna stick with factory for a little while anyway. Thanks!!

The only S&W I have in 9mm is a Shield, but the throat/leade in it is much shorter or more abrupt than in either of my 9mm Glocks, if the bullet is lighty jamming the lands it can allow the cartridge to move when impacted by the striker and a light strike.

Also my Glocks with stock striker springs are typically unphased by primers that are visibly proud.

If you ran the actual rounds that failed first strike may have fully seated the primers.

I loaded em to 1.125 as per Hodgdon data and while that isn’t 1.165 like the 9 major crowd goes for it’s a tad longer than usual. So that’s what I meant by loaded long. And as far as hand priming goes its the only way I do it. My 650 was more problems than it was worth so I sold it. And I’m going to keep

using the hand primer because I’ve never had problems out of any other gun I’ve loaded for using it. And the Glock ate the rest of the batch that was giving me trouble I didn’t cycle any of the light struck ammo simply because it sll

happened during a match so I just cleared it and left it so I won’t know about that unfortunately! I just got a deal on some factory stuff and a new pistol so I’m gonna take a break from handloading match ammo anyway. Thanks for all the help guys!!

GrayR

To me this sport is about having fun and enjoying one’s self. It sounds like your doing that also. 

When I first started loading my own 9mm ammo I used the book numbers and found in my Tanfoglio and CZs they didn’t work. Man was I frustrated! These days I have more trouble with factory ammo than my own, of course having tuned and light spring guns has nothing to do with it. ;)

I know your pain. 

12 hours ago, GrayR said:

Yeah it’s a lighter recoil spring 

That can cause problems. I did the same thing when I tried an M & P. A stock striker spring with a light recoil spring will put the gun out of battery enough to cause light strikes or even OOB firing. Look for the primer strikes to be off center just a tad in this case.