Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel gun shoots flatter with WWB vs Speer Lawman

jrdoran

So I tried some back to back tests.  I had switched to speer lawman 115gr TMJ in my STI 9mm minor steel to avoid lead in the comp.   I noticed that it seemed like the gun had more muzzle flip, so just for kicks I did some back to back with typical winchester white box.  The WWB had noticeably less muzzle flip.    Can someone help me understand what might be the reason.  Here are the specs: 

WWB 115;  FMJ; velocity 1190

•  

Speer Lawman:  115; TMJ; velocity 1200;

The velocity is pretty close so it's not a big factor but can help a little. What might make the difference is the gunpowder.  When comparing two gunpowders that push the same bullet to the same speed, the one that uses less weight produces less recoil force.

Another factor is that the Speer is plated and the Winchester is jacketed. Plated bullets tend to be a little slower when pushed with the same amount of powder, and might require a wee bit more powder for the same speed. This is not always true, but that might be another variable in the mix.

Interesting point on the plating vs jacketed.     The differences as you describe seem small.   

I'd much prefer to shoot the plated, but it was very obvious the difference in muzzle flip.   Perhaps the powder on the WWB just seems to work the comp better. 

• 2 weeks later...

It more than likely is just the powder that they use is slower. Find yourself some Perfecta and I bet it would be awesome. I know they must use something very slow for their 9mm, based on the giant fireballs it makes when you shoot in dusky/low light conditions. 

It’s been a looooong time since I regularly bought WWB, but it’s what I used before I started reliading.  I found that it shot (very) noticeably differently from month to month, and I was told that the reason for it was that Winchester simply used whatever the cheapest powder was at the moment.  One month it may have been a fast powder, the next month a slow one. It might have been an urban legend and/or changed since then, but I sure believed it then and still believe it now.  

5 minutes ago, jbinpa59 said:

Jkrispies post sounds correct

I know when I asked georgia-arms about powders in any load they told me flat out "cheapest we can get at the time that meets velocity and pressure requirements"

Georgia Arms! Good ole canned heat!