Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A Few Dry Fire Thoughts, Add Yours

GunBugBit

Four possible modes of dry fire (there are more modes I reckon but these came to mind first):

•      Slowly, for warm-up, form and reinforcing efficient movement
  •      For speed
  •      For precision
  •      For smoothness while combining a good blend of speed and precision

Generating speed is a waste of energy if form is not efficient.

But don't be afraid to pour energy into speed after working out efficient movements.

Think!  Commit!  Hands hurt, arms hurt, so what?  Take a break and then resume in a lower gear, but keep going!

Aw, it's boring?  Is losing more exciting than this "boring" dry fire right now, you jackwagon?

What say you?

Edited by GunBugBit

I don't really separate them much as I have been following Stoeger's Dry Fire Reloaded".

However, I do implement 5 minutes of "slow draw to 25 yard target and press the trigger" drill concentrating on grip and trigger at the start of every session. That is my warm up.

I made a commitment to dry fire 5 days a week for 10-15 minutes a day.  I develop a dry fire plan for the week and I stick to it.  

My attention span like many others begins to wander after 15 minutes.

I've seen tremendous improvement in the month that I've been religiously dry firing.  My results in matches is my motivation.

I get your point, but have to go with Jake on this one.  I am pretty involved with High School Wrestling.  No one WANTS to come to practice and drill/condition the day after Thanksgiving or Christmas.  Its OK to hate it.  The kids have the discipline and desire to show up and go all-out because they know of the payoff on tournament/dual day AND they fear the humiliation of a bad loss when the horses come to town.  I think dry fire is much the same way.  Its ok to not like it - just get in a habit and do it.

Edited by Husker95

2 hours ago, GunBugBit said:

Sounds good on the surface, but...ever known a person who is highly disciplined but not motivated?

Yes. Tons of them. It doesn't just sound good on the surface. I know many people like that who are highly successful. If you have discipline, you don't need motivation. You will just do what you know needs to be done without any extra fluff on the side. People who rely on motivation or inspiration to get things done always run out at some point. The very nature of discipline means it is inexhaustible. Like Husker said, wrestling is a great example of this. Another great example is new years weight loss resolutions. The gyms are filled with motivated people in early January. That doesn't last long. The motivation fades and the undisciplined go right back to their couches. People who need motivation almost never do as well as people who slog through the work everyday no matter how unmotivated they are.

Edited by Jake Di Vita

Thats a pretty good description of what I am experiencing right now.  I was very motivated last year, was doing two a day dry fire and trying for once a week live.  I shot around 30k rounds last year and probably 150k+ dry fire trigger pulls.  Unlike many others, I actually enjoy dry firing.  Since December I have not been as motivated, for whatever reason, and definitely not disciplined.  Motivation got me to M class last year but its going to take discipline to get my ass out of bed on these cold mornings.  I only dry fired in the morning once last week, and afterward it felt great.  Need to find the discipline to get back to where I was on a solid training schedule.  

I have some general goals in my head, but nothing that I have written down or read every day Lanny Basham style.  My biggest training buddy is taking the year off to focus on work and I think that has taken some of my motivation.  Defining my goals for this year I think can help get me back on track, thanks Scott.  

16 minutes ago, CrashDodson said:

I have some general goals in my head, but nothing that I have written down or read every day Lanny Basham style.  My biggest training buddy is taking the year off to focus on work and I think that has taken some of my motivation.  Defining my goals for this year I think can help get me back on track, thanks Scott.  

Glad I could help.  For me, it helps to have goals written down and specific training topics identified for the upcoming day/week/month.  I tend to slack off when a clear path is not defined.

Not to mention crushing nuts at a match helps motivation!

Edited by SCTaylor

My response would probably revolve around goals. 

There’s something to be said for super slo mo actions to drive visually just what you want to see at speed. Lately I’ve incorporated some of that. There is the notion or idea of leveraging dry fire to amp up speed. See how fast you can do things in the dry fire environment. I know many successful, very successful, shooters that have done that. It’s not really been something I focus on though.

For me dry fire is three things: 

1) slow motion technique reinforcement. Motion exactly how you want to motion, move how you want to move. Precisely. 

2) execution. This is my most common approach. Set up a stage or drill and shoot it cleanly at speed. Focus on points, being smooth, and executing. Don’t “throw” shots because there’s zero accountability. Goal out a drill and execute to it.

3) precision. This is most prevalent with thoughts around longer range targets, “steel” mentality and strong/weak hand shooting. If I can hit a fly on a target at ten yards with my weak hand then I know I can hit a full target at ten yards at speed.

I think set and established drills are important to measure progress. Some degree of accounting is important, again for progress.

And then throw in some goofy crap so I am executing to something unusual. That’s what i’ll Invariably find at a match.

You watch the best shooters shoot and you realize there’s not much they do that we can’t do. They execute extremely well and have that level of confidence with shots knowing they can do it because they have done it already ... 100 Times in row.

Jack

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 12:00 PM, Jake Di Vita said:

Yes. Tons of them. It doesn't just sound good on the surface. I know many people like that who are highly successful. If you have discipline, you don't need motivation.

You've known some very different kinds of people in your life than I have, then.  Motivation is a foundation in all the disciplined people I've known.

Now motivation without discipline -- yes, I've seen that.

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 12:00 PM, Jake Di Vita said:

People who need motivation almost never do as well as people who slog through the work everyday no matter how unmotivated they are.

So as I think about this, I guess  I've known some who didn't seem to know why they were repeating a thing every day, but they did it without fail.  Some behave as though they're fond of ritual for the sake of it.

Where we agree is that discipline is critical to achieving anything.

Edited by GunBugBit

On 2/12/2018 at 10:30 AM, Husker95 said:

No one WANTS to come to practice and drill/condition the day after Thanksgiving or Christmas

i actually like practicing. i look forward to my 30 mins of dryfire every day. it soothes my mind and comforts me to make progress towards my goals. Mostly I'm just motivated to not suck at stuff, and I accept that practice is required to not suck. I don't have to be motivated to practice, just like I don't have to be motivated to go to work every day, but enjoying it doesn't hurt. I don't feel like I have any more choice about practice than I do about work tho, based on my goals.

5 minutes ago, GunBugBit said:

Motivation is a foundation in all the disciplined

What do you mean when you say this?

To me, motivation means that you want to do something. Wanting to do something is good, but the nature of the beast is sometimes you will be less motivated than other times and sometimes you will have no motivation for an extended period. If you depend on motivation, there's a high likelihood of faltering here. Discipline means you will do something regardless of how you feel whether you want to or not and death is the only thing that's going to stop you. Motivation requires inspiration. Discipline only requires a decision.

Yes, that's an important point -- "discipline means you will do something regardless of how you feel."

My prime definition of motivation is not that of a feeling, nor a crutch.  Motivation is a reason or set of reasons.  Assuming one tends to be disciplined, he is going to apply that discipline to things for which there are reasons to apply it.  If the reasons go away, the discipline is then going to be directed toward other things for which reasons exist to pursue them.

If you dry fire two hours per day, seven days per week, you are unusually disciplined.  And I don't think you're doing it for no reason.

22 hours ago, motosapiens said:

i actually like practicing. i look forward to my 30 mins of dryfire every day. it soothes my mind and comforts me to make progress towards my goals. Mostly I'm just motivated to not suck at stuff, and I accept that practice is required to not suck. I don't have to be motivated to practice, just like I don't have to be motivated to go to work every day, but enjoying it doesn't hurt. I don't feel like I have any more choice about practice than I do about work tho, based on my goals.

There are times I like dry-firing too.  I agree that its also cathartic and a nice way to wind down, productively, at the end of the day.  But, there are other nights when I'm on the couch with my wife, the cat and a cold beer when I really don't want to.  Its those times that discipline kicks in and I just go down stairs, open the safe and get busy.  My current goal is 4-5 times a week focusing on things I suck at or improving skills I'm good at.  To meet that goal - sometimes I gotta force it.  Once I get started, I'm just fine.  Getting started is discipline.