Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC AR9 load

NickMcDonald9

I was thinking about a new load for my PCC. I’ve been considering buying a comp for the gun (maybe MBX). To allow for more gas to work the comp I was thinking about loading light (90-100gr) 9mm with a powder like AutoComp. Has anyone tried anything like this? Or would I be best to stick with my 124s I load now?

Id also like the gun to cycle faster than it does with the current 124s

Edited by NickMcDonald9

2 hours ago, stick said:

I have a few questions:

1. What is your current load?
  2. what do you use the gun for?
  3. why do you want to cycle the gun faster?

1. Current load is 124gr with Titegroup 3.6gr 

2. It’s used for USPSA competitions. Mostly local matches but I’ve been finishing top 5 steadily (behind 2017 Nationals winner Cody Baker. So we’re all playing for second lol.) I’ve been thinking about getting into some larger matches of time allows. 

3.  I’d like it to cycle faster because I can out run the gun in doubles on short targets. When I first got it this wasn’t an issue, but now the bolt stays back and feels sluggish. (Yes I have used heavier springs and spacers)

10 hours ago, NickMcDonald9 said:

2. It’s used for USPSA competitions. Mostly local matches but I’ve been finishing top 5 steadily (behind 2017 Nationals winner Cody Baker. So we’re all playing for second lol.) I’ve been thinking about getting into some larger matches of time allows. 

3.  I’d like it to cycle faster because I can out run the gun in doubles on short targets. When I first got it this wasn’t an issue, but now the bolt stays back and feels sluggish. (Yes I have used heavier springs and spacers)

I ask because USPSA has different rules than say Steel Challenge.  I upped my load for the same reason.  The bolt felt sluggish and at times it seemed as if i was out running the gun.

3.6gr Titegroup behind a 124gr bullet is the starting load.  Do you know what the Power factor is for those loads?  Have you run them on a chrono yet?

Here are two loads that I run in my PCC.  The first one cycles the gun faster than the second.  notice the difference in bullet speed?  You really need to try different bullet weights and power charges to determine what you and your gun like best.  For example, My friend really likes Winchester white box 115gr in his PCC.  He likes how it cycles and recoils.

Bullet Brand Everglades
Bullet Type Round Nose
Bullet Weight 147gr
Powder Name Titegroup
Powder Weight 3.0gr
Primer Federal
COL 1.130-1.135
Average Chronograph Speed 973.9
Standard Deviation 52.48
Chronograph Speed Low/High 890 1033
Power Factor 143

Bullet Brand Everglades
Bullet Type Round nose
Bullet Weight 147gr
Powder Name Titegroup
Powder Weight 2.5gr
Primer Federal
COL 1.130-1.135
Average Chronograph Speed 908.7
Standard Deviation 26.7
Chronograph Speed Low/High 863 961
Power Factor 133

19 minutes ago, stick said:

Here are two loads that I run in my PCC.  The first one cycles the gun faster than the second.  notice the difference in bullet speed?  You really need to try different bullet weights and power charges to determine what you and your gun like best.  For example, My friend really likes Winchester white box 115gr in his PCC.  He likes how it cycles and recoils.

Bullet Brand Everglades
Bullet Type Round Nose
Bullet Weight 147gr
Powder Name Titegroup
Powder Weight 3.0gr
Primer Federal
COL 1.130-1.135
Average Chronograph Speed 973.9
Standard Deviation 52.48
Chronograph Speed Low/High 890 1033
Power Factor 143

Bullet Brand Everglades
Bullet Type Round nose
Bullet Weight 147gr
Powder Name Titegroup
Powder Weight 2.5gr
Primer Federal
COL 1.130-1.135
Average Chronograph Speed 908.7
Standard Deviation 26.7
Chronograph Speed Low/High 863 961
Power Factor 133

Mine HATES 147gr. That’s why I was thinking lighter = better 

For your PCC lighter might be better.  Notice the difference in loads?  2.5gr produced a PF of 133 with a velocity of 908.  The 3.0gr produced a PF of 143 with a velocity of 973.  I can shoot both loads, but the 3.0gr load doesn't feel sluggish to me and I don't feel as though I can outrun the gun.  you need to experiment within the min/max range of the powder you are using to see what you and the gun like.  Get the loads on a chrono to see where you actually are with PF,  then determine what works/feels best.

My PCC load is almost the same as the OP but I went to a lighter buffer spring and changed one of the tungsten weights to steel in my JP.  My velocities have dropped a little and I'm guessing its because the bolt is opening a little earlier.  I can't outrun the gun and am getting minimal dot bounce.

• 1 month later...
On 2/9/2018 at 4:36 AM, NickMcDonald9 said:

What bolt & buffer setup are you using?

Ended up just trying the 100gr to see what happend. After a few initial hiccups, the gun is doing great. 

100gr Berry’s .380 (.356”)

5.4gr autocomp

OAL 1.09

shot these in a local match and had a few GM classifiers with “Bang and Clang” being a 1.66sec/16.8 HF. Needless to say I’m pretty pleased.