Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brand new reloader!

VAyounggunner

So I just ordered a Dillon RL 550 C and as of now I will only be reloading 9mm I won 2500 xtreme .355 124gr round tip and will be using Winchester primers, what powder should I go with for a mix of accuracy and manageable recoil that would be my training/uspsa Ammo? I’ve heard about Hodgdon cfe and VV n330 I’m fine with spending for good powder because I ultimately want a good product but absolutely new to the game and any advice is welcome. I’ve been trying to sort through the topic but it seems like there Are 10,000 differences and I just need a good powder for uspsa/training in 9mm! 

I loaded the exact same bullet and primer combo. Shooting from a Glock 34 I was using 4.2Gr of Winchester 231 and an OAL of 1.155. Velocity average was 1098. I had loaded up to 4.5 grains of 231 with Velocity around 1150. But the G34 has a bbl length of just over 5 inches so that kept the velocity up there your millage may very. Winchester 231 is a good overall powder, measures well and is difficult to over charge. I have since moved to 147 gr and Tight Group but would not suggest Tight Group for a new re-loader. 

Titegroup is a popular one.

That is what I use in my wife's and I USPSA setups.

She runs 147's, and I run 165's.

Another one is VV N320.

Might have try a few and see what works in your setup.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I use 231 with 124's also,  4.3g... soft and reliable   out of a g19 compared to box ammo... but look in a reloading book to see min and max  and go from there... and a 1lb of powder is 7000grains. so do the math  I'll get approx. 1620 rounds (1627.9) out of a lb...

13 minutes ago, Loudgp said:

I use 231 with 124's also,  4.3g... soft and reliable   out of a g19 compared to box ammo... but look in a reloading book to see min and max  and go from there... and a 1lb of powder is 7000grains. so do the math  I'll get approx. 1620 rounds (1627.9) out of a lb...

I Second on Loudgp Post. 231 is a great starter power for a beginner and he sounds right on with that load for the G19. 

25 minutes ago, Loudgp said:

Thanks! I think I will get one pound of Winchester 231 one of titegroup

10 minutes ago, Frank705 said:

I Second on Loudgp Post. 231 is a great starter power for a beginner and he sounds right on with that load for the G19. 

Thanks for the input I will but a pound of 231 for sure and a good manual and maybe a point of titegroup and one other and start low and test it out! I might have to make 2 different round for the 2 different pistols. Also the Glock 19 barrel is stock so maybe a new barrel is in order to avoid issues with higher pressures

Edited by VAyounggunner

9 minutes ago, Frank705 said:

Many Years behind a handle and Dies... :)  Like everyone I started from books and tailored my loads to each of my needs . Now I'm running 9Major and damn case loads... lol

The stock barrel isn't bad... Just don't run cast lead through them.. or so they say.. I've never tried to or had a failure. start loading on the low side and work up.. load 10-15 rounds and see how they react and any signs of over pressure. Another decent powder is cfe pistol... I run it in .40 and 9mm also... a little dirty but cleans up easy.  

@Loudgp thanks for all the tips, ya I’m 26 and just started competing after 5 years of self taught and defensive pistol/rifle classes. I’ve finished first in the last two weeks of a local club shoot out of 50 ppl the last 2 weeks and have been burning up Ammo all the same, just feel like it’s the best way to get accuracy, quality while staying under a moderate cost. The initial cost is a bit high but long term hopefully it pays off, or at least I will be able to shoot more for less! Thanks all for the input!

Please be careful if you intend to use Tight Group. Its very easy to over charge. Just a tenth of a grain can increase velocities more then you asked for and if your powder measure is off more then + or - one tenth you may have issues.  If you look up tight group in the printed manuals you will see the min to max load is a very small window.  Spend some time comparing load data in different manuals and do some skill building with easy loads. Once you get the hang of it and you have a better understanding of how your press loads and what your powder and scale are actually telling you then move on to TG. 

W231, WSF, or Sport Pistol are my recommendations. Leave titegroup alone, it doesn't offer any advantages, only disadvantages.

The above will overflow with a double charge in 9mm, Titegroup will not.

Start with book data on the starting charge, with a chrono, work up to about 133PF. Your best groups may be a bit higher or lower PF, that's up to you to make that decision.

Edited by SCTaylor

13 minutes ago, SCTaylor said:

W231, WSF, or Sport Pistol are my recommendations. Leave titegroup alone, it doesn't offer any advantages, only disadvantages.

The above will overflow with a double charge in 9mm, Titegroup will not.

Start with book data on the starting charge, with a chrono, work up to about 133PF. Your best groups may be a bit higher or lower PF, that's up to you to make that decision.

Thanks for the insight I’ll stay away until I find my rhythm and 5,000 rounds under my belt. Now I wish I had a shooting lane in my basement to make a round and test it!

Titegroup is a popular one.
That is what I use in my wife's and I USPSA setups.
She runs 147's, and I run 165's.

Another one is VV N320.

Might have try a few and see what works in your setup.

N320 And 147s are a very good combo

17 hours ago, Loudgp said:

I'll add another +1 to Loudgp's post. Excellent combination in the g19 with stock barrel, g34 with S3F barrel and a stock XD.

You can run cast lead in a stock barrel, but you need to keep an eye on it. Extremes are plated, and I've never had good accuracy with plated. My Minor load is a 124 gr Bayou (HiTek coated) bullet over 3.4 grains of TG at 1.100" OAL. Goes about 1,050 fps out of a OEM G17. TG is a high density fast powder, but .1 grains is not going to go over pressure. I've run 124 Montana Gold JHPS on top of 5.5 grains of TG at 1.175" OAL to make Major. No signs of primer deformation.