Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many divisions do you shoot in?

Broncman

Ok, the addiction hit really strong in my first year in USPSA. CO, PCC, and Open...

How many do you successfully shoot in?

Made B in CO in about 8 months. Just now shot Open and PCC.

Open will replace CO for awhile to get muscle memory up to speed be on the Open.

PCC is fun, not anymore so than the others, it does feel like cheating though...

So.... How do you manage your addiction? I shoot 2-3 matches a month. Leaning towards focusing on Open. 

Successfully? None.

I focus on Prod, but have spent the last 3 months shooting CO, played with Limited last winter.

When I shoot something else I shoot only it for 3-4 months.

I may switch to a CO focus.

I will probably try SS at some point in the coming year.

2-3 matches a month, work interferes.

Edited by Beef15

I've shot Production almost exclusively since I started, with a few forays into SS with borrowed equipment.  I just shot my first match with a new PCC and based on the poor results, I'll be shooting PCC exclusively this year.  I just don't think I will make any meaningful gains switching back and forth constantly.  I'll stick with PCC for a year and see how I like it.

Mainly production over the nearly 2 years I've been shooting competitively, but dabbled in CO, SS, Limited, and Open (classifier only).  I'm dedicated to Production now, might try CO in a year or two, we shall see.

Shot Production for about 6-7 years, (made M about 4 years in), shot PCC all last year (made M) and had a blast doing it, was going to go back to Production this year but decided to try Single Stack this year for the fun of it.  Goal is to shoot SS for a year and see how I feel, preferably make M-class before I switch back to Production which is my "real" division (at least the one that I care about). 

Might try Carry Optics after SS, might go back to Production and then later try Carry Optics for a year or so. 

I wouldn't suggest (if you want to get good at USPSA) switching guns often.  Spend some quality time with one, then maybe switch to another one.  Again, that's if you want to get good.  If you are just there to have all sorts of fun, you should switch as often as you like, to whatever division sounds the most fun at the time!

13 minutes ago, Thomas H said:

I wouldn't suggest (if you want to get good at USPSA) switching guns often.  Spend some quality time with one, then maybe switch to another one.

I concur. It is fun to play with different guns, but you waste alot of time re-learning the same stuff. I have shot SS, prod, limited and recently (once) CO. I pick one and stick with it for most of the year, and maybe switch it up before a major SS-only match, or during the winter or something.

First two and a half years, I shot production. Scored a .40 and started shooting Limited. Also shoot classic in Icore. Most folks I shoot with tend to pick a division and stick with it but there are a few who work their way through their gun collection. Going the other way, one guy I know has classified in Production, SS, and L10 with the same gun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Mcfoto said:

First two and a half years, I shot production. Scored a .40 and started shooting Limited. Also shoot classic in Icore. Most folks I shoot with tend to pick a division and stick with it but there are a few who work their way through their gun collection. Going the other way, one guy I know has classified in Production, SS, and L10 with the same gun.

Prod and SS with the  same gun? Unlikely 

13 hours ago, Mcfoto said:

9mm 1911 with 10 round mags. Not the best choice for Production but possible.

that would put you in open for cheating (failing to meet the division requirements). a 9mm 1911 would be a great choice in production if it were legal. I found that I shot the exact same scores on classifiers and such with a 9mm 1911 vs my cz production gun.

My apologies, I must be mistaken. This particular gentleman is known for his encyclopedic knowledge of the rule book. When it’s his turn to RO, you know to be on your Ps and Qs. He did tell me he has three classifications with that gun. That was my point to the topic of the thread. My apologies for the mistake and resulting derail.

I don't think any gun with an SAO is legal in Prod, regardless if it's a 1911 or not.

Not to beat a dead horse, but you probably could shoot SAO production but have to start hammer down and rack after draw. But the Rules board have prevented that lunacy. I searched the Production gun list and 1911 provided no results.

30 minutes ago, Mcfoto said:

Not to beat a dead horse, but you probably could shoot SAO production but have to start hammer down and rack after draw. But the Rules board have prevented that lunacy. I searched the Production gun list and 1911 provided no results.

No, you can't use a gun that isn't on the official Production list, SAO or whatever.  You can paint "Official Production Gun" on it and bring a note from your mother,  but it's still not legal. :P

37 minutes ago, Mcfoto said:

If you holster a loaded SAO gun with the safety off : DQ.

On the flip side of that, non-1911 guns aren't allowed in SS, either.  I had a P220 that I was thinking I might be able to use in Lim-10 and SS, but alas, it was not to be.  Gives me an excuse to get a 1911 one of these days.

The gentleman you are thinking of might be classified in SS, Lim-10, and Limited with the same gun.  Classifier-wise, the capacity advantage of a 2011 over a 1911 isn't that helpful.  I've also seen guys submit classifier scores for Open using a Limited gun, just so they'd have a starting classification for an upcoming match.

Edited by JAFO

so far 7 mostly because I like guns more than doing well with them.

Production because minor scoring and stage planning are a interesting chalange

Single stack because having a excuse to buy two guns is never a bad thing

Revolver because doing it the hard way is good for your sole

L10 because I was young and wanted to try everything

Limited because lots of bullets and major scoring matches my dismal accuracy 

CO because lots of bullets and I cant see the sights

Open because even more bullets major scoring, see accuracy above and a sight I can see

PCC I'm not that interested in shooting a rifle at a handgun match