Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA ESR Moon Clip holders

talon

Hi , I'm trying to gear up for IDPA ESR with a S&W 625.  For moon clip holders google led me to the North Mountain holders.  These holders hold 2 moonclips each so how does one index them ?

Am I wrong in thinking that 1 moonclip per holder would be better for repetition ?  If so what would be a good choice ?

I use those same holders and having two in each holder is not a problem.  While it might seem like the bottom one is harder to get out it really isn't.  Once the buzzer goes off the moon clips come out of the holder just fine.

Thanks for the reply.  How are you gripping the moon clip exactly the same way every time?  If there was one moon clip in the holder I could use my thumb at the bottom of the holder as an index. Or maybe the post of the holder meeting my hand.

I admit I haven't figured out my moon clip grip yet but I do know I want to do it the same way every time, with the understanding that the start position will vary with belt position.

Be sure and make up several dummy moon clip loads to practice with, I have 6 . I stack mine,1 holder 2 clips and 1 more behind the revolver and use thumb and middle finger to get the clip up and let the index finger help also once out. I shoot LH'd and holders are on the same side as holster.

Be sure to let gravity work with you with a straight up cylinder eject and a cylinder straight down on the load to let the clips just fall in.

• 1 year later...

I have those as well. I love them but under the 2017 rules I am not convinced they are legal. The rules specifically state "One ammunition carrier per allowed ammunition feeding device." I have since tried to order the California Competition ones but I heard they are no longer in business. I gave up and ordered the Ready Tactical ones but even those I am not 100% on b/c I don't know if the post is long enough. IDPA needs to issue a clarification and allow some different carries if they decide to get picky about it. Too few people shoot REV anyway and I would hope they make it more inviting to shoot. 

• 2 months later...
On 4/2/2019 at 1:00 PM, sigfla said:

I have those as well. I love them but under the 2017 rules I am not convinced they are legal. The rules specifically state "One ammunition carrier per allowed ammunition feeding device." I have since tried to order the California Competition ones but I heard they are no longer in business. I gave up and ordered the Ready Tactical ones but even those I am not 100% on b/c I don't know if the post is long enough. IDPA needs to issue a clarification and allow some different carries if they decide to get picky about it. Too few people shoot REV anyway and I would hope they make it more inviting to shoot. 

These were used at the 2018 Nationals and were legal..

There is post on FB with Robert Ray saying they were legal also.

Contact your AC...😀

Edited by GmanCdp

It is a shame that this type of stuff is so challenging, especially for revo...

I keep thinking about giving it a try, but there are just so many little nuances that make it even harder than it has to be...

A while back I got to watch Hopalong run a 625 in a few local USPSA matches in North MS and it was pretty impressive considering that he was loading 3-4 times as much as anybody else.

Moons that fit brass well and LOTS of practice seem to the ticket!

...once you figure out what's actually legal for carriers...

13 hours ago, GmanCdp said:

These were used at the 2018 Nationals and were legal..

There is post on FB with Robert Ray saying they were legal also.

Contact your AC...😀

By "these" do you mean the Ready Tactical moon clip holders?

Thanks GmanCdp.

On 4/2/2019 at 2:00 PM, sigfla said:

One ammunition carrier per allowed ammunition feeding device.

What is even the point of that rule?  I don't think anyone at IDPA has ever concealed for real-life , day-to-day carry a real revolver in their lives. 

No one who's ever carried a real revolver (not a j frame in a pocket) on a daily basis would write the SSR/ESR rules they way they are, particularly those regarding the number and placement of reloading devices.  It's extremely frustrating, just like their refusal to consider appendix carry.

So much for "the real world concealed carry sport"........

Edited by elguapo

On 6/19/2019 at 12:25 PM, GmanCdp said:

North Mountain

http://4wheelguns.com/IDPA.html

On 6/18/2019 at 10:32 PM, wgj3 said:

Chris at Ready Tactical has excellent IDPA-legal holsters!

The Ready Tactical moon clip holders are not IDPA legal.  It appears the holster is.

The North Mountain moon clip holders are IDPA legal.

Thanks for all the help.