Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Low Cost Bullet for Glock 17?

Joeg26er

I run the blue bullets in everything and they have been excellent. No build up at all in my 9 and 40 guns. I personally don’t have a Glock but some of the team guys shoot them and have no issues at all. If you want to try some you can use Code (moser) and get a discount. They are already a good deal but the discount makes it even better. 

On 2/5/2018 at 9:21 PM, David.Hylton said:

Are you going to shoot your reloads in more than one firearm? Black bullets ran great in my Glocks, but not my MPX. Check your loads in all guns before committing

This is such good advice. Blue bullets ran great in my G17 but BBI was all over the place. The sample packs are a cheap way to determine the best feel and accuracy before commiting to a large order. Good luck and welcome.

17 hours ago, Brewski said:

Keep in mind that Blue bullets are .355 as the default size, although you can special order other sizes. Most others - such as BBI and ACME - are .356. 

I wonder why they size them at .355 when just about every other plated or coated bullets are at least .356?  I would think it may cause some leading issues.

Mike

I use 147 gr Xtreme bullets.  They sell sampler packs, which is a good place to start.  Get on their mailing list, and they send the daily or weekly sale info.   Pretty much anything they sell comes up 5% off pretty regularly, 10% off occasionally, and 15% off maybe twice a year.  Sometimes they'll add free shipping as well.   That's when you pounce on the 3000 bullet bulk packs...

Edited by 10X

23 hours ago, mike72ss said:

I wonder why they size them at .355 when just about every other plated or coated bullets are at least .356?  I would think it may cause some leading issues.

Mike

In my experience and that of many others, it does not with their bullets. I don't know their alloy, they told me it is very soft when I stopped by the shop. If so it should obturate readily preventing gas cutting, and since no one else's bullets shed coating on my fingers like theirs I am guessing their coating is something different than most. One of my guns that ran theirs without issue slugs .3565 and takes lubed lead sized .358 to avoid leading for reference.

On 2/5/2018 at 9:33 PM, IGOTGLOCKED said:

I'm sure others will be along to help, I'm just learning powders too. However red dot is #7 on Hodgdon published relative burn rates & bullseye is #13. This tells me red dot is a fair amount faster of a burning powder than bullseye. I'd  suggest you go to Hodgdon's website and look at loads these powders would make with the bullet you have chosen.

From there one is able to determine power factor (bullet weight in grams x velocity) will give you an approximate power factor. USPSA minor power factor is 125 minimum to be legally shot in competition. The velocity of your charge in your gun should be checked with a chrono to be sure of your numbers.

I compete in USPSA with a 19. My current load is an Acme 145 gr RN coated bullet over a charge of 3.2 gr titegroup # 15 on the burn rate chart and consequently closer to your bullseye). The velocity of those rounds are right at 900 fps. Consequently 900 fps x 145 gr = 130 pf.

Coincidentally, 3.2gr of Red Dot should get you just above 900fps.  I do that load with Promo.  

4 hours ago, TravisNC said:

What bullet weight are you going to try? :P

LOL!!

Yeah, I kind of wear that one on my sleeve.

I landed on 124 gr because it cycled the best out of my G17 and my Sub 2000 even with different manufacturers (everglades ammo, xtreme, montana gold, hornady, etc).  Neither one has been too finicky, but they both seem to like 124 gr ammo with Winchester 231.

We'll see how they like the coated ones.