Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Low Cost Bullet for Glock 17?

Joeg26er

Looking to get some projectiles for my G17.

What's the suggested best to run for USPSA limited minor loads?

My barrel seems to like round nose 124gr so far but I have seen numbers that indicate 147gr is more accurate and can meet PF with a lower powder charge?

Looks like Acme coated has some good prices?

http://www.acmebullet.com/bullets-reloading-brass/9MM-Lead-Cast-Reloading-Bullets?product_id=484

Sources, prices and suggested please?

Thanks

Joe

I've had no issue with Acme bullets, but I don't shoot Glocks so YMMV.  Their new 124gr RN does have to be loaded a bit short in my 9mm 1911, but it's not like you would be compressing powder at minor PF.  Their 147gr FP is a bit tricky to set up in a Mr. BF since the nose is so wide, but I'm really liking the 145gr RN from Acme.  Works great in the bullet feeder and the gun.  Shooting SC I'd ordinarily be running fast powder with 115gr, but I've got 20-30 lbs WSF to use up and the heavier bullet in a steel gun gives me a pretty soft load that's way cleaner than using a lighter bullet.

Blue Bullets 124RN and 147RN and FP did just fine from my 17s.

I prefer the 147's recoil feel. 135 is an option from them I have not tried, but my own 133s are the most accurate coated bullet I've shot from the guns, so I'd sure try it if I was buying again although there may be no relation at all.

2 hours ago, RickT said:

I've had no issue with Acme bullets, but I don't shoot Glocks so YMMV.  Their new 124gr RN does have to be loaded a bit short in my 9mm 1911, but it's not like you would be compressing powder at minor PF.  Their 147gr FP is a bit tricky to set up in a Mr. BF since the nose is so wide, but I'm really liking the 145gr RN from Acme.  Works great in the bullet feeder and the gun.  Shooting SC I'd ordinarily be running fast powder with 115gr, but I've got 20-30 lbs WSF to use up and the heavier bullet in a steel gun gives me a pretty soft load that's way cleaner than using a lighter bullet.

Acme got new bullet molds sometime late last year so their 124RNs should have a sharper ogive that allows you to load them longer.

I've shot both 124s and 147s, and honestly as long as I'm doing my part gripping the gun, they both do plenty of what I need for USPSA.

I personally run Acme 147s atm because at a 10k order, that's 6.5c shipped, which is cheaper than any other coated bullet mfg. 

6 hours ago, haiedras said:

Acme got new bullet molds sometime late last year so their 124RNs should have a sharper ogive that allows you to load them longer.

I've shot both 124s and 147s, and honestly as long as I'm doing my part gripping the gun, they both do plenty of what I need for USPSA.

I personally run Acme 147s atm because at a 10k order, that's 6.5c shipped, which is cheaper than any other coated bullet mfg. 

Agree that Acme has the best prices around.  I'll switch my wife to the new Acme 124s once I use up all the Bayou RNs I have.  The Acme 145 RNs are the same cost as the Acme 147 FPs and I don't have to deal with the slight stutter I get chambering the first round; never have had a failure to feed with this bullet once the gun is running.

OP, if you go with Acme the code ENOS10 is worth a 10% discount.

1 hour ago, RickT said:

Depends whether you feel like storing 240 lbs of Acme bullets (and how much you shoot).  You could get a sample pack of 100 (or buy 500) and give them a try before "buy".

I figured I have 10k small pistol primers I should have the projectile to match 

2 minutes ago, Joeg26er said:

Thanks where's the site and what bullet weights and cost?

these are 124gr or heavier for less than 6 cents per delivered ?

124gr is $.0641 delivered for a case of 3,600 when using discount code Triangle (not mine). Do you have anything cheaper than that? 

14 minutes ago, 57K said:

I used Blue Bullets first, then switched to SNS Casting. Both good products and there are other good products as mentioned. First, though, I would get a sample pack of the bullet you think you'll want to buy in quantity, and see how the coated bullet works in the polygonal barrel of the G17. I'm optimistic that they will do well, but I wouldn't want to find out that they don't after ordering a large qty.;)

Blue Bullets run fine in my G17. 

Edited by TravisNC

The cheapest I seem to see the blu bullets is 7.1/round shipped 

acme is lower cost shipped with coupon and heavier 145gr

is there a coupon code for the blue? Edit. Code is triangle 

Edited by Joeg26er

9 minutes ago, Joeg26er said:

The cheapest I seem to see the blu bullets is 7.1/round shipped 

acme is lower cost shipped with coupon and heavier 145gr

is there a coupon code for the blue? Edit. Code is triangle 

Triangle works.  I think Stoeger is another.  

3 minutes ago, IGOTGLOCKED said:

Have bee been shooting Acme 145 rn which is what their pistol team shoots for a couple of years now and have no plans on switching. 

They are great people!

Cheers!

Any idea of their load data for the 145?

1 hour ago, Joeg26er said:

I have a few lbs of bullseye and 16 lbs of red dot

I'm sure others will be along to help, I'm just learning powders too. However red dot is #7 on Hodgdon published relative burn rates & bullseye is #13. This tells me red dot is a fair amount faster of a burning powder than bullseye. I'd  suggest you go to Hodgdon's website and look at loads these powders would make with the bullet you have chosen.

From there one is able to determine power factor (bullet weight in grams x velocity) will give you an approximate power factor. USPSA minor power factor is 125 minimum to be legally shot in competition. The velocity of your charge in your gun should be checked with a chrono to be sure of your numbers.

I compete in USPSA with a 19. My current load is an Acme 145 gr RN coated bullet over a charge of 3.2 gr titegroup # 15 on the burn rate chart and consequently closer to your bullseye). The velocity of those rounds are right at 900 fps. Consequently 900 fps x 145 gr = 130 pf.

Also call Acme and chat with them, they are great people!

Hope this helps brother!