Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sunglasses and red dots

sean_stw

I'm new to open class and never shot with a red dot and was wondering what peoples preferences are on to where sunglasses or not to when shooting with a red dot? I'm sure it also depends on what optic but in general what do you prefer.

I have a pair of polarized prescription sunglasses that I'm not sure are maybe to dark. I tried today in direct sun light with the brightness turned all the way up on the sig Romeo 3 I have and the dot is visable but dim i can pick it up but not sure if i might lose it while shooting. When not in direct sun light its not bad to pick up, on the plus side the sunglasses make the dot a lot more crisp, and as far as direct sun light I'm not saying im looking directly into the sun lol. What red dots are you guys using/dot size? Thanks 

37 minutes ago, sean_stw said:

I have a pair of polarized prescription sunglasses that I'm not sure are maybe to dark. I tried today in direct sun light with the brightness turned all the way up on the sig Romeo 3 I have and the dot is visable but dim i can pick it up but not sure if i might lose it while shooting. When not in direct sun light its not bad to pick up, on the plus side the sunglasses make the dot a lot more crisp, and as far as direct sun light I'm not saying im looking directly into the sun lol. What red dots are you guys using/dot size? Thanks 

I use a RTS2 on my gun.

I run just some safety rated sunglasses that are my daily work glasses they are polarized, I habe never had any issues with setting my Romeo 3 dot in any condition unless it's a blue sky bright sunny day and I am aiming at a white target, I don't try to do that on purpose though.  Maybe your battery is low, or be sure that your Romeo is genuine and not a knock off, they are out there and hard to tell the difference. 

Edited by Acsr

4 hours ago, Acsr said:

Maybe your battery is low, or be sure that your Romeo is genuine and not a knock off, they are out there and hard to tell the difference

It might be the battery was getting low. I put a new battery in it today and the dot is slightly brighter at least i think it is. Its overcast and snowing here so i cant tell for sure yet but it does look better. Any idea on what to look for to see if its a knock off? It was one a gun when I bought it. Thanks

I have 3 sets of glasses:

normal sunglasses (slightly graduated tint) - good in really bright sun

clear glasses - used in low light (early mornings, late afternoons, indoors)

Oakley prism lenses (polarised and prism - they a made to give greater contrast, browns and reds really 'pop' wearing these) I wear these most of the time now.

I mainly let the light conditions dictate which ones I wear. All of my glasses are prescriptions lenses as I have crap eyesight (bad stigmatism).

None of those options really affects my ability to see the dot. In low light I turn the dot down, in bright light (particularly if I have directly sunlight behind or in front of me) I need to turn the dot up.

I highly recommend the Oakley prism lenses. the contrast is amazing. I use the 'golf' version as it matches most closely to what I want on a shooting range.

On 2/5/2018 at 12:53 AM, BeerBaron said:

I have 3 sets of glasses:

normal sunglasses (slightly graduated tint) - good in really bright sun

clear glasses - used in low light (early mornings, late afternoons, indoors)

Oakley prism lenses (polarised and prism - they a made to give greater contrast, browns and reds really 'pop' wearing these) I wear these most of the time now.

I mainly let the light conditions dictate which ones I wear. All of my glasses are prescriptions lenses as I have crap eyesight (bad stigmatism).

None of those options really affects my ability to see the dot. In low light I turn the dot down, in bright light (particularly if I have directly sunlight behind or in front of me) I need to turn the dot up.

I highly recommend the Oakley prism lenses. the contrast is amazing. I use the 'golf' version as it matches most closely to what I want on a shooting range.

Which color Oakley Prism lenses did you get ?   There appear to be several;  thx

I use the Prizm Trail lens and I really like it. Before those, I used the TR45 shooting lenses and really

liked those also but those weren’t available in prescription at the time I bought my new ones so I had to go with the Prizm Trail. 

If you can, try different color lens and see what works best under different lighting conditions.

In my case (advised I was 20% color blind) both brown and grey lens worked well with a C-More red dot.   

Once I added a green laser to my PCC, I found that the brown lens masked the laser at distance.  The grey lens enhanced the green laser.

Yep, I use the prism golf. 

They do mske 2 'shooting' models in 25 and 45% light transmission. 

I think for what we do the golf lenses are the best match. From memory they are 30% light transmission. 

They give an enhanced sense of depth and contrast which is great for practical shooting. 

As long as I remember to turn the c-more off before putting the gun away - I haven't really had any major problems with a dot and sunglasses. I have had one or two instances where the dot has washed out due to the sun, but I think part of it was that the battery needed replacing.

I'm cheap and buy these 3m safety glasses because I beat the shit out of sunglasses. They also are designed to work with hearing protection, so they don't kill your temples, so they are quite comfortable.

Edited by sc68cal