Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to practice for a Texas star without a Texas star?

lfine

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, get a Texas Star scaled-down dry fire target from the Ben Stoeger Pro Shop, or some other supplier, or make your own.  And then dry fire the dang thing to death every day, along with all your other dry fire.  When you dry fire the fake Texas Star at a distance where it looks small, simulating, say, 30 yards away, and then encounter a real one at 10 yards, the real one will look huge.

26 minutes ago, GunBugBit said:

Yes, get a Texas Star scaled-down dry fire target from the Ben Stoeger Pro Shop, or some other supplier, or make your own.  And then dry fire the dang thing to death every day, along with all your other dry fire.  When you dry fire the fake Texas Star at a distance where it looks small, simulating, say, 30 yards away, and then encounter a real one at 10 yards, the real one will look huge.

Not really a great representation, since it doesn't move. The best way I have found to shoot them is pick a side and shoot it, rather than crossing back and forth. If properly executed you can clear a Texas star that way in very little time with minimal muzzle movement. Going head-hand-hand-foot-foot can be as fast as the other way, but there is a higher chance of disaster. 

Also, just don't worry about it. You aren't ever gonna see one at a major.

If you want practice shooting moving targets that react to your bullets, live fire practice is the way to go.  Maybe I only dreamt that my Texas Star shooting improved vastly once I started dry firing them, not-great representation and all.  Hmm.

Edited by GunBugBit

I've heard that shooting a star going back and forth is safer but slower.  Using paper plates, place them at 12 o'clock, 2 o'clock, 10 o'clock, 4 o'clock and 8 o'clock and in practice shooting them in that order.

Taking them all from one side would hopefully be faster.  So that is what I try to practice.

Probably not the best way to practice for a star, I staple 6" paper plates on a large backer board where I think they may be when I want to shoot each plate.

From a center point, I put each plate about 3' from the center with the first at 12 o'clock, the second at 2 o'clock, the third at 3:30. the fourth at 4:30 and the fifth at 5:30.  I shoot them from the top down.

Have someone film you shooting a star to see where the plates are located when you made the shot.  Then in practice place the paper plates where you feel you should have shot them.

As you improve, you might be able to rotate the plates closer and closer.

• 1 month later...

I got a great deal on a pair of stars a few years ago.  The only way to practice for one without shooting one would be to trap any other moving target.  The fastest but most risky way of clearing a star is to start at the bottom and work around and up the opposite side.  The best way is top down, fairly fast and relatively safe.  

The only thing similar to shooting them as them as they come around that I can think of is waiting for a grouse to clear a pine tree in order to drop the bird.  Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a big screen tv in basement where I do my dryfire. I’ve been thinking about finding video of a star shot correctly and putting it on the TV for dryfire. I’ve seen some recorded from downrange that would be what I see if I’m doing it right.

Crazy talk or worth a try? 

Edited by Paulie

That's brilliant! And I went to the bother of building 2 of them!

Say, I like that idea so much, I will give you a hundred bucks for that TV.

PS

Can you bring it to my house?

We can shoot the Texas Stars while you're here...

Here’s an idea I had recently, I have the P320 pellet pistol, its a blast to shoot and it fits my holsters perfectly so I also use it to practice with since i also carry a p320. What about making a star that can work with a pellet gun? Get the practice and pellets are dirt cheap, even if you get the “expensive” ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, GrumpyOne said:

Build one. 

That's gold. I may have to scab something together.

Ifine, the biggest thing about Texas stars is the intimidation, so don't stress and just shoot the stupid thing.

I see them pretty regular, rarely does anyone get it going mach 2 and create a real disaster, often someone has never shot one before and convinces themselves they can't with predictable results.